Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

jad

Mullin S4 experiance?

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:38 am

I recently got an Area 51 6ft'er by Mullins Kites. I really like it. Might be my choice for most underrated kite I've tried. (not that I've tried all that many)

Interested in its larger spinoff - they went other way round by starting with the 3/4 and then the full size - the S4.

I don't think many made it to the U.S. and there is nothing of substance on the GWTW Forum. I guess it never caught on. But then neither did the Area 51.

As it's from England, I thought maybe some of you guys have had experiance and could talk about it
on its own and as it relates to the Area 51.

Thanks.

JeffD

[/b]

Eddie Green

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:27 am

kHiTe Review

Flying the S4 now at it seems to have dated in a way that the Gem and a51 haven't. although it fades and backspins it isn't that pitch orientated. Jim Byrne (who posts on GWTW) has one in the states and still flies it. Maybe you should talk to him?

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:37 am

Hey Jeff,

Funny, as Ed and I were discussing the s4 a bit just Yesterday.

I still like it quite allot, but Ed does point out it's weakness, namely going into a backflip: it lags on the way in. The A51 does not exhibit this. Anyway, I think it JL's pretty well even so. Roll ups are not a strong point however. The bridle is pretty fantastic, but may be responsible for limiting the kites' abilities in this area. Overall Ed's review is spot on.

HTH

zephyr

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:38 am

Forgot to log in.... I would have to agree that the A51 is the better of the Two.

Just to add. More than you might think made it into the US; not Hundreds, but Dan Whitney ordered quite a few, and Hunter Brown got a few in before Dodd took over importing them, so there are definitely s4's to be had in the States. I might have a line on one if you are interested.

You could always order one from Mullin Kites:

http://www.mullinkites.co.uk/

Jim

Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:33 pm

Thanks for the answers guys.

Not going to pursue getting one right now Jim but I'll let you know if that changes. Thanks.

Got some kites on the way and the Fury has my interest. To may kites to little $.

I wonder if anyone has tried weighting to increase pitch responsiveness?

Maybe the question I should have asked is does it feel like and move like -as in similar enought to recognize as the same basic kite such as the gem and m-gem - the A51.

Is it a bigger A51 (that doesn't pitch as well) more or less or something very different?

I did contact Mullins when I was looking for an Area 51. They told me the shipping alone would be 55 pounds. Say no more.

Still interested in any further impressions anyone may wish to give.

Thanks.

Eddie Green

Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:47 pm

Feels very different to the a51.

Chris Goff

Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:54 pm

I loved the Area 51, had one of the first.

I also have an S4, and as I remember it was great for tipstands. I agree that the Area 51 is the better though.

jad
Topic Author

Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:54 pm

Thanks again.
JeffD

zephyr

Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:09 am

jad wrote... "I wonder if anyone has tried weighting to increase pitch responsiveness? Maybe the question I should have asked is does it feel like and move like - as in similar enought to recognize as the same basic kite such as the gem and m-gem - the A51."

I've tried weight in the tail and at the nose, with no great results, just did not like the feel of it - mucked up the balance - but not at the same time. One might be able to achieve something of a balance with both.

I think you can see a resemblance - more so between the stock A51 and an s4 I swapped some Btweenies into the leading edges, in place of the 6mm pultude.

jad further wrote... "Is it a bigger A51 (that doesn't pitch as well) more or less or something very different?"

something different - neither more or less.

Scaling up the A51 puts those wingtips Way out there. Plus the weight ratio in the frame is quite different.