Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Plasma

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:15 am

Anybody got one yet? What are they like?
:D
Andy

MikeLos

Re: Plasma

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:15 pm

aphelps wrote:
Anybody got one yet? What are they like?

Like a kite i guess 8)
prokite.ru

The only russian site about stunt kites

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:55 pm

No too good on channel 5, but fantastic for all BBC programmes..... i too will get my coat!!!

audiorob

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:06 pm

great in a turtle, not so much in a fade.

Solid and heavy feeling...

What is there to know about it?
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

Bugly

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Rob, the great in turtle not much in fade describes the strength and weakness of both the Trannsfer and Cesium tribes - however they can still be a lot of fun.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:02 pm

Thanks to Martin and Bristol Kitestore for providing a Plasma for us to try at Bath.
We gave it about an hour's airtime during the day. I found it very familar having flown the Cesium last summer. This is largely the same design but scaled up to slightly larger than a Fury 85.

Precision and general flight is very L'Atelier. The Plasma will cut straight turns but this is harder work that on a Fury or a Nirvana. However it excels in trick flying.

Very useful for yoyo and turtle based tricks. The reverse lazy-yoyo-rollup is cosmic. Frame is 6mm except the cross spreaders. The flex in the leading edge makes tip stands a hoot.

Very well built. The venting system is the best that I have seen so far. The vent panel is sewn to the sail and then fits into a snug pocket. If you want to vent the kite, fold the panel under the sail and reseal. It is soooo easy. Why has no-one else thought of this one yet?

Good quality product, as one would expect from Ramlal. He must be confident to give it a lifetime guarantee. You would have to give the kite some serious use to wear it down.

Miles is taking the Plasma with him to Swindon, so you can try it for yourself there. After that can someone take it on to Rougham?

Martin mentioned that he has a couple in stock.....
Andy

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:32 pm

I've been interested to read a few reviews of the Plasma as it sounds in principal such a good idea. I guess though I am interested in knowing what it will not do as much as what it can.
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Miles F

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:53 pm

Spent a very enjoyable two hours with the Plasma this evenning the wind was obliging enough to start at about 4-5 mph and work up to 10-12 mph later. It gave me a chance to try the light wind settings and 10gm wt in a more consistent breeze before changing up to the 23gm wt and finally popping the vents open as the wind reached 12 mph. All very nice the kite has some great speciallities: top of the window nose down axle ends in nice deep turtle, yank a line and whatch multi lazy sues at the speed of heat, way cool :D. Old skool stuff is there too but 540's need a very specific nose attitude to nail especially pointing toward the centre of the window. I did'nt bother with bridle adjustments today I just used the factory set mark and altered wt and vent as per the destructions. The kite is very well balanced and retains its character with these simple tweeks, no fuss, no faff, just fun.
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

jeff_atelierkites

Comment on Plasma

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:54 pm

Hi,

Would you mind if I publish your comment at www.atelierkites.com?

Thanks in advance, :cool:

Jeff
Miles F wrote:
Spent a very enjoyable two hours with the Plasma this evenning the wind was obliging enough to start at about 4-5 mph and work up to 10-12 mph later. It gave me a chance to try the light wind settings and 10gm wt in a more consistent breeze before changing up to the 23gm wt and finally popping the vents open as the wind reached 12 mph. All very nice the kite has some great speciallities: top of the window nose down axle ends in nice deep turtle, yank a line and whatch multi lazy sues at the speed of heat, way cool :D. Old skool stuff is there too but 540's need a very specific nose attitude to nail especially pointing toward the centre of the window. I did'nt bother with bridle adjustments today I just used the factory set mark and altered wt and vent as per the destructions. The kite is very well balanced and retains its character with these simple tweeks, no fuss, no faff, just fun.
Jeff, webmaster@atelierkites

Miles F

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:51 pm

I'd be honoured :shock: but I'm only a "hack flyer" you know? :oops: My two penny worth don't count for that much :lol:
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon May 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Thanks to Miles I have it now and will be transporting it to Rougham.

If I'm lucky I'll even find some time to fly it :shock:

Let's see how it behaves in the hands of a self confessed precision flier...
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Mon May 08, 2006 10:45 pm

Let's see how it behaves in the hands of a self confessed precision flier...

Well....It's a French kite so hey, it should be ok that way. It's what happens when you stop it and flap your arms around :lol:

Mark

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 09, 2006 8:46 am

You've seen me trying tricks then :lol:

Ogre

Tue May 09, 2006 9:51 am

Keithgrif - please hunt me out at Rougham as I'd like to try the Plasma.
I'll forward it onto the next person who wants to try it. (Probably kevspilly as he's local to me)

(If that's ok?)
"With tuppence for paper and strings..."

Bugly

Wed May 17, 2006 1:55 pm

Had a couple of negative reviews from people I respect on the Plasma, but I am pleasently surprised.

To say it is a heavy cesium does neither kite justice. As Audiorob says very typlical Atelier kite in its turtle based characteristics (and in my opinion instability in fades).

The kite has a bit of traction but not excessive, does any trick in my repetour and has reasonable precision if you go light on the weights.

The venting is minimal but effective. The balance of the kite remains consitent between vented and unvented states. I was concerned that the 6mm LE would get a bit of shudder but again in the winds I was flying (from about 5 to 20 mph) the behaviour was impecable.

It wont replace your favourite vented kite but is fun to fly in various wind conditions.

My only negative would be to say it is a bit pricey.