Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:17 pm

StuartB wrote:
What knot do you use?

This

Nils

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:51 pm

now that we're on the subject of the akuji, does anyone know how the vented is coming along?

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:23 am

StuartB wrote:
What knot do you use?

A half-hitch. With the end of the line flanged, and the knot pulled tight, it doesn't tend to come adrift in flight, is simple to slide along the bridle lines, and doesn't kink the bridle lines. If, for any reason, it did start coming adrift, I would probably switch to a jamming hitch, which is like a taughtline except that it is the second hitch around the standing part that has the double turn.

Stuart, while I have your attention, it was suggested that you may be able to answer this.

kevspilly

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:36 am

I find it difficult to attach them without introducing twists into the upper outhaul

I've used needle and thread to sew bridle line together. Since it isn't subject to any great amonut of loading it seems to work fine. I finish it of with a coat of clear nail varnish for a bit of extra protection.
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:55 am

I make a little knot at the end of the line and then another knot around the bridle line and it will stay in place without problem, used this a number of times on some of my kites, I think it is called a slip knot.
Bastiaan.

StuartB

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:19 pm

sftonkin wrote:
StuartB wrote:
What knot do you use?

A half-hitch. With the end of the line flanged, and the knot pulled tight, it doesn't tend to come adrift in flight, is simple to slide along the bridle lines, and doesn't kink the bridle lines.

This is how I attach bridles to spars, so I must have tried it at some point for this and not pulled it tight enough. Anyway, I'll try it again and also Craig's sheetbend.

sftonkin wrote:
Stuart, while I have your attention, it was suggested that you may be able to answer this.

I've replied in the same thread, although you may not find the answer particularly useful!

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:32 pm

StuartB wrote:
Anyway, I'll try it again and also Craig's sheetbend.

This which I've found again is the reason I use the sheetbend, Tim uses it on the Gem bridle and if memory serves on the DS also.

Nils

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:44 pm

tim uses a double sheetbend, less prone to coming undone

Mark E Mark

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:05 am

Well, I've now had a chance to fly my Akuji a few times and i must say that I'm very happy. considering its wingspan it actually feels very nimble and not as large\as its measurements would suggest - perhaps because of its very pointed wing tips. In addition, although its a high aspect design it doesn't particularly over stear; admitadly it's not intended for precision work (which doesn't interest me anyway) but you can easily get a straight line and a sharp corner out of it. It does roll-up very easily and consistantly. In flight it feels quite floaty (more than I expected) and I can see why one might think it more American than French in feel.

I've had a chance to consider some of its design features. Certainly a great deal of thought has gone into this kite. Using 7PT for the lower half of the leading edge is an interesting element - I wonder if this is partly for ballance reasons; certainly the Akuji does feel very delicately ballanced and the weight distribution throughout the frame has been most sucessful. Another interesting point is that the bridle is not attached at the point the lower spreaders meet the Le, rather it is attached an inch or so lower - presumably to get the right leveragepoint for rotation tricks (it does back spin and lazy-susan very nicely). Finally, I would mention the upper spreader that is cut slightly short so that the LE is pulled in at this point creating a subtly S shaped LE (not unique I know but interesting) the manufacturer stresses that this is an important point in my charmingly translated instructions.

The bridle adjustment is VERY easy and works very well; as does the simple weight system (a 10g steel rod attached to an end cap can be slid into the base of the spine). In low winds you just adjust the bridle (a 10 second job) whip out the weight and the kite behaves just like it would in stronger wind with the weight attached. In the past I have found that many kites feel quite different as one adjusts the spine weight but, for once, removing the 10g weight of the Akuji does not wreck its inherant ballance.

kevspilly

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Well, I've now had a chance to fly my Akuji a few times and i must say that I'm very happy

Ok I was afraid of that, guess i'll have to find the £180 for one from some where. Seriously thanks for taking time to post your comments on it.
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:07 pm

Mark E Mark wrote:
In low winds ... whip out the weight and the kite behaves just like it would in stronger wind with the weight attached.

The kite doesn't need the weight to roll up by any means. I have a feeling it's there to help something else, but I can't put my finger on it. Try it - even in higher winds it will roll up easily without the 10g.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:19 am

Andy S wrote:
The kite doesn't need the weight to roll up by any means. I have a feeling it's there to help something else, but I can't put my finger on it. Try it - even in higher winds it will roll up easily without the 10g.

IIRC the slip of paper (now lost) that came with the kite said that the 10g was for higher winds, but I agree that it rolls up OK without it. But it certainly does make some sort of subtle difference -- the best way I can put it is that the kite feels more "definite" with the weight in.

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:49 am

I tend to fly without the weight as much as with it. I like to do a two pop roll up with my kites and with the weight its very difficult (if not impossible - but thats me) but manageable without. May not bother most folks as I have a feeling two pop roll ups are getting to be considered almost an 'old school' type of trick.
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:54 am

sftonkin wrote:
IIRC the slip of paper (now lost)

I can send you mine if you want it?

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter