Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Nils

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Mark E Mark wrote:
What do I think of the construction? Well, I've seen better and I've seen worse (quite a lot worse actually and not all that much that is better). Stitching is good and all the panels are neatly aligned and stuff.Also the nose is very tightly trimmed and snag free. If you want something that is better finished look no further than a Deep Space.

so finishing is very good, since the finishing on the deepspace is insane :shock:

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:15 pm

I'd be a bit careful about the 'have a good top end' bit. I've never thought of the Akuji comp. as being a 'highish' wind kite so be a touch careful if you feel like experimenting in strong winds.
Glad you like the kite.
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Mark E Mark

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:43 pm

Thanks Jeremy for the info - I guess I meant 'highish' wind by my standards (I don't really like flying in 'proper' strong' wind - way too much running about ;-)

Nils, yeah the finishing is good I've no problem with it and don't anticipate any issues, The Deep Space is beautifully put together but its flying style just doesn't suit me - which is why I haven't bought one. In contrast I found the Akuji to be very easy to fly immediately - I would recommend it wholeheartedly and am very glad that I bought one.

kevspilly

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:29 am

today I received my Akuji

Well come on that man what’s the verdict, you must have flown it by now?
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Mark E Mark

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Kev, I have done a bit of a 'first impresions' post but there has hardly been any wind in the last few days and.....my hard drive has died!!!!!!:-(

However, from my experience of it so far its a bleeding fantastic yo-yo monster.

kevspilly

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:44 pm

but there has hardly been any wind in the last few days

That always happens to me when I buy a new kite!

I was thinking of buying one so I would be interested in what you think. I guess other people who own them aren’t keen on commenting, probably due to not wanting to upset their sponsors.
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

540 Dave

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Kev, I'm going out for a fly in about an hour so I should know better then but so far I love the way it flies and have found it very easy to get to grips with. What qualities are you looking for in this kite?

I seem to have posted this as 540 Dave (I'm in his shop at the mo as my computer has died) but I am infact Mark E Mark
REAL MEN DEADLAUNCH

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:19 pm

kevspilly wrote:
I guess other people who own them aren’t keen on commenting, probably due to not wanting to upset their sponsors.

Kev, I'm disappointed that you might think that may be the case, as ever feel free to post whatever you like.

Andy S
King of FA

Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:26 pm

kevspilly wrote:
I guess other people who own them aren’t keen on commenting, probably due to not wanting to upset their sponsors.

I refer you to this. And I meant it.

kevspilly

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:04 pm

Sorry guys, it did seem strange to me that no one seemed keen to comment on it in depth.

What qualities are you looking for in this kite?

I'm not really sure to be fair but I think I'll know what it is when I fly it!

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:03 pm

I could write some stuff, having spent another couple of hours on Saturday flying the comp, but that would hardly seem impartial either.

Let me point out, then that the only real downsides I have found so far (given what I want from a kite at the moment, so discount much in the way of precision) are that there is a slight tendency to spinewrap with the inhaul bridle leg and at some point in the comete it tends to flop onto it's back. Having said that I've not been comete-ing long, so that could well be a style thing.

Take from that what you will...

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:49 am

Andy S wrote:
...there is a slight tendency to spinewrap with the inhaul bridle leg...

This happens on a few kites I own, and is trivial to cure: a short length of line from the frame end of the upper outhaul to the middle-ish of the inhaul.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:50 pm

kevspilly wrote:
Sorry guys, it did seem strange to me that no one seemed keen to comment on it in depth.

I doubt the number of Akuji's in the country get into double figures and I own 4 of them, but anyway, I've always said that IMHO it's one of the best "freestyle" kites around, if your a serious recreational flyer I don't think you'd need anything more than the Akuji (or Deep Space, Opera, Nirvana, Transfer, S.D. etc.), although who could possibly stop at 1 kite :shock:

Most top kites now are capable in the right hands of all the most technical tricks such as Yofade's, Crazy Copters etc.etc. it's really a matter of personal preference and feel (connection if you like). I could wax lyrical for page after page about slow graceful Axels, 540's, Flic flacs and the like but I figure now-a-days those kind of tricks are given :D

TBH there's only one way to find if you like a particular kite or not, that's why we started the shop to try to get some of these exceptional kites into your hands :cool:

kevspilly

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:29 pm

I seem to have posted this as 540 Dave (I'm in his shop at the mo as my computer has died) but I am infact Mark E Mark

Sorry Mark missed your post, how did you get on?

@ Craig & @ Andy Ha managed to squeeze a little more info out of you :P

I think I know what I'm looking for now, since I'm not a competitive flyer it's something between a .85 and a Stranger, if that's possible?

StuartB

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:00 pm

sftonkin wrote:
Andy S wrote:
...there is a slight tendency to spinewrap with the inhaul bridle leg...

This happens on a few kites I own, and is trivial to cure: a short length of line from the frame end of the upper outhaul to the middle-ish of the inhaul.

I now do this on all my kites and it works like magic. What knot do you use? I use tautline hitches because they don't 'pull straight' and slide as easily as a lark's head would. The disadvantage is that I find it difficult to attach them without introducing twists into the upper outhaul and inhaul, which looks untidy.