Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Zippy8
Topic Author

Re: Fearless Devil Vented Light

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:23 am

harveystubbs wrote:
Is the mystery piece of line at the tail non-elasticated?

It is indeed bridle line as I called it under the picture. I am eager to hear the various ideas put forward (or a definitive answer - there can be too much mystery in life) but let's see a comparison between the it-has-a-demonstrable-effect-on-flight tail of the Androgyn and the FDVL:-

ImageImage

Hopefully this illustrates the effect that the line is having on the trailing edge by the base of the tail in both cases. The Androgyn's is 18cm from the tail, the FDVL about 3cm.

If it was some sort of tail release aide.... shouldn't it be right at the base ?

I remain perplexed :-k

Mike.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:41 pm

FWIW, I've flown a Fearless for a short while - SUL and STD versions I believe (belonged to some old bloke ;-) , sadly missed this year BTW) so obviously can't comment on this venty light-weight thing, but would have stuck with them as a go-to had I not already gone with the CTC's.

Good kites - that's for sure.

Bryan

honchoboy

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:31 pm

The nose is a joy to look at. Sheer visual bliss (god that sounds perverse). The wingtips however look over-complicated IMO.

So my guesses are:

1) Because there was a bit of left over bridle line knocking around.
2) Too attach a tail
3) The above 2 aren't serious

My first thought is that, as already suggested, it is there as an aid in spine removal. If you were to imagine placing your thumb on the base of the spine and then the index and middle finger on the line and and pulling it you could help add a curve into the sail and bend the spine out/in? Almost pivoting it.... Got to admit I just do not get why anyone would go for a spine pocket? I can imagine them being nothing but a pain in the arsenal.

My outside thought, though 1) I can't see how it would apply to this kite due to the low positioning and b) it doesnt look taught enough, is that it is going to give a curl to the sail at its spine end - in effect adding extra shape to the sail. Could you then effect the drag of the spine end somewhat?

I feel my reasoning on the latter suggestion is, in many ways, like those wingtips. OTT.
Last edited by honchoboy on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:35 pm

honchoboy wrote:
The nose is a joy to look at. Sheer visual bliss (god that sounds perverse). The wingtips however look over-complicated IMO.

So my guesses are:

1) Because there was a bit of left over bridle line knocking around.
2) Too attach a tail
3) The above 2 aren't serious

4) Worldwide shortage of velcro (much like black icarex - which explains the man-love-colored sail)

-Frazer

711jrp

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Just so everyone knows that wing tip is tied incorrectly, should be done like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLKXCXU2rk

much cleaner!!
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Zippy8
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Unlike some people I have man hands, unsuited to having to macramé the damn wingtips tight.

Mike,
that's my excuse and I shall be sticking to it.

tpatters

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Folks,

I missed this post, but I do have some relevant info on the wingtips. These ones, while I'm sure are secure enough, are not installed incorrectly.

Here is a video that shows how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLKXCXU2rk

Essentially, wrap around once and then figure 8 three times and you are done.

-Tom

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:47 pm

if you ever have de-tensioned or tensioned a lam-leading-edge, you know it is a very smart solution!

yes, three holes and a lot of bridleline, but tensioning is ultra-easy

i agree it doesn't look nice

Zippy8
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 am

tpatters wrote:
...are not installed incorrectly....

How many negatives were you shooting for there, Tom ? :-k

I'll give it another go, maybe let a nimble fingered child take a run at it, but in the absence of any instructions I took a chance. Perhaps I fail to be not unworthy of this kite :wink:

Mike.

tpatters

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:34 am

Zippy8 wrote:
tpatters wrote:
...are not installed incorrectly....

How many negatives were you shooting for there, Tom ? :-k

I'll give it another go, maybe let a nimble fingered child take a run at it, but in the absence of any instructions I took a chance. Perhaps I fail to be not unworthy of this kite :wink:

Mike.

Yes. Much like our dear President here in US has recently done, I feel I have mis-communicated. To be sure, do not fail to not misunderstand my contradictory meaning. :)

Once you cinch the LEs up once, it's easy. I actually like how it looks and I've never had one come loose. Also, no end cap required which cleans it all up aesthetically in my opinion.

I have the sister kite to yours actually - except that the eye on mine is red rather than blue. It's nice to think of them as the red pill / blue pill set. I tried to acquire this one actually, but was too slow on the draw. If you don't get along, please let me know. :)

Tom

Zippy8
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:00 am

tpatters wrote:
[I actually like how it looks and I've never had one come loose.

I suspect it works well but even after locking the line in place I'm left with 9cm excess line that I have to knit and pearl back over itself. The weight implications alone......

I have the sister kite to yours actually.... If you don't get along, please let me know. :)

I'll tell you what; I'll put you on the list if you tell me what that bleedin' bit of line is doing near the base of the spine !!!! :shock:

Mike.

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:36 am

Well it looks like the weather and conditions underfoot will prohibit any further flying before I leave for work so.....

let's start with one of more... contentious... claims about this kite. Despite what has been stated here I won't be taking this kite out when the wind is blowing at 3mph. When it gets to 5mph, no problem, but any lower and I'm struggling to see the point. In contrast to what some have written this kite is subject to the laws of physics just like any other. Although sold to me as Vented Light, having Vented Light on the bag and even Vented Light written on the sail, it weighs over 300 grammes. It isn't Light (unless you mean in comparison to the range's Standard in which case it should be Lighter). The only way this kite is worth flying in 3mph is if you have a highly liberal interpretation of the word "flying" or an unconventional view of what represents 3mph.

Will someone undoubtedly claim that 3mph is not only viable but conservative ? Surely. But here is a picture of a Ferrari with a towbar to further illustrate that there are other things that you can do but shouldn't.

Moving on... :wink:

It does have a very balanced flight. There's a nice equality about the inputs I was making to get stuff done. Nothing I tried seemed to need a weird or exaggerated movement. It was eager to pitch and happy to rotate. Stuff happened as and when I asked for it. Tricks were done to order, not "handed out" :evil: I can fully understand why this kite is so highly thought of. It is very good.

The blurb for this kite claims that Lazy Susan-related work is its forte and it certainly doesn't disappoint there. I found it very controllable once dropped onto its back. Just a quick pop then make a decision what you fancy doing - either straight away or leave it a moment while you compose your thoughts - the kite is happy either way.

But that's not to say that this is all it does well. Flic-Flacs are very sweet; fast or slow, pushed around into wraps or just binging it back and forth. 'Snice. :-) Really, it does all the stuff I threw at it and did it well. I didn't need to be surgeon precise to have it happen either.

The adjustable leech line is a bit odd though. Fully tight it kept the kite quiet but slackened off just 1cm... yuck. And there's plenty more slackening off to come. Is this a high wind thing 'cos it's not much use so far and apart from some small tweaks to the upper bridle line, that's all we get to adjust the kite.

Oh yes... much like the TNT, the sail pattern sort of melts away once the kite is on the end of your lines. Much less of the starey, scary face. Which is good.

So.... my new favourite kite ? Could be. Strip away the fanboy over enthusiasm and you are left with a top kite in all respects. I really do like this thing and look forward to being able to fly it some more. But first.... work :|

Mike.

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Pah can't you fly it off the side of your oil rig? :P I wan't to know how its flies in 25+mph and from what you say you'll never see that at home.

But seriously, thanks for that and I look forward to further installments when you get back :cool:

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:08 pm

Ian Newham wrote:
Pah can't you fly it off the side of your oil rig? :P

The powers that be have Views on this sort of thing. No sense of fun :biggrin:

I wan't to know how its flies in 25+mph and from what you say you'll never see that at home.

Where I live 25+mph tends to be so turbulent that it may as well be coming down vertically but I do look forward to some stronger winds.... and some firmer footing.... to try it out in.

Mike.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
So.... my new favourite kite ? Could be. Strip away the fanboy over enthusiasm and you are left with a top kite in all respects. I really do like this thing and look forward to being able to fly it some more. But first.... work :|
Mike.

Sounds like classic "New Kite Syndrome" ... which is always particularly acute when the sufferer has spent disproportionately on said kite.

Dr. Worley prescribes an hour on the R-Sky Nirvana ...

-Frazer