Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Sub

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Miles F wrote:
I'm giving serious thought to keeping an ultrasound dog deterent in my kite bag

Miles, maybe you have a solution worthy of consideration.
How are they used?

axelant

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:53 pm

You have my heartfelt sympathy.

For Criminal Damage, the person has to...
"Destroy or damege property belonging to another...or.. was reckless as to whether property would be destroyed or damaged"

On the plus side /in theory/ the damage doesn't actually have to occur, but you do have to prove recklessness which in law is a lot harder than negligence or carelessness. Recklessness requires proof of Mens Rea which isn't easy at the best of times.

I am very wary of dogs anywhere near my kkites or kit and tend to shout at the dog rather than the owner - I'm more likely to get a favourable response from the pooch! I like the ultrasound idea - are they freely available? The only worry I would have is a: you have to get your hands on it and press the button and b: would it possibly drive the mutt towards the kite if you were 20m away from it?
David

si quid valet facere, valet male facere

portley777

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Yes, the bane of my kiting existence! In Melbourne, dogs are very "cool" and I'm forever on the lookout in my spots. They come out of the blue when your setting up and jump on the sail (especially big dogs like Huskies). And some owners think it's quaint when they're under your kite for ten minustes preventing you from taking risks else your have a tip wrap and go down. It's also pleasant when owners watch their dog crap between you and the kite - leaving some clay for you to cut with your lines. I'm really not looking forward to my first serious dog attack - I hope I don't lose it when it happens (more dog walkers than kiters here~5000-1: outnumbered). Best of luck:)
Mike

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:09 pm

I've never been a victim of a shredded kite, but the countless experiences of yappy-mutt beneath expensive item have made me utterly disrespectful of a large percentage of UK dog f**kers, sorry, 'dog' owners'.

Bottom line is that they are just 'general public'. Dumb-asses. They may as well just jut their arms out zombie-fashion and go with the masses in the belief that if you own a dog, you are somehow relieved of your responsibility as a citizen, because, after all, everyone has a dog and dogs are cute.

No they aint! They're noisy 'shit anywhere machines'. It's not just kiters, I've seen hard-core mountain bikers kick-out at attacking mutts because the mutt is decreasing their 'best time round the park'! These guys get just as pissed as me!

PS - much respect to the Border Collie owners. Those dogs just listen to their owners and nothing but!

/rant over.

Mark

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:08 am

sftonkin wrote:
, this sesquipodex.

Have you one too many behinds Mr. T?
according to
http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm
sesqui [one half more , half as much again].

podex -icis m. [fundament , anus]

sftonkin wrote:
Plod did SFA.

Plod=fuzz
SFA=Sweet Fanny Adams

On a more serious note I sincerely hope your daughter suffered no longer term effects of her experience.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:24 am

Stan Doff wrote:
Have you one too many behinds Mr. T?

Let's just say that, on that particular day, there appeared to be more than one too many in Victoria Park.

On a more serious note I sincerely hope your daughter suffered no longer term effects of her experience

Took a while (like 4 years) before she could be in the same room as a dog. She's OK now...

feathers
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:02 pm

Glad to hear your daughter recovered from it, sounds like a nightmare...

thought this might be an idea for my next banner!

Holder of the Libary NTK French Connection
-----------------------------------
3 Highflyers Precision kites
2 Stacker 10's
1 Stacker 8
Flexifoil Stranger
Flexifoil Physco
Benson Deep Space - My baby :)

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:33 pm

sftonkin wrote:
Let's just say that, on that particular day, there appeared to be more than one too many in Victoria Park.

:lol:

@Feathers
I like the banner; simple,direct and straight to the point 8-)

helicoil

Re:

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:18 pm

Craig wrote:
@feathers, Moonie tape will work very well although not really designed for the use, however you should try the superglue method if at all possible, when done well the repair is virtually invisible.

Hi Craig,
I don't suppose you could elaborate on the "superglue method" or post a link?
Similar situation, had crash and top spreader punched through icarex part of LevelOne Reloaded sail. gutted.
Andy

711jrp

Re: Re:

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:14 pm

helicoil wrote:
Craig wrote:
@feathers, Moonie tape will work very well although not really designed for the use, however you should try the superglue method if at all possible, when done well the repair is virtually invisible.

Hi Craig,
I don't suppose you could elaborate on the "superglue method" or post a link?
Similar situation, had crash and top spreader punched through icarex part of LevelOne Reloaded sail. gutted.
Andy

I use some masking tape (any tape really)on one side to bring the icarex fibers as close as to how they are before the rip (take your time). Then from the other side drip some super glue on the rip (I use a cocktail stick) and when dry remove the tape.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Repair tape

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:25 pm

As Pete says, and if done carefully you'll hardly see the repair =D>

helicoil

Re: Repair tape

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Excellent, Thanks. I'll give that a bash tonight ;)