Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

feathers
Topic Author

Repair tape

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:33 pm

After a whole incident with a dog, my new deep space and one obnoxious owner (adam can testify to this....the dog was out of control) i need repair tape....

i only have stuff for ripstop from my old kites....are you able to get icarex tape? if so any ideas where?

Cheers Adam
Holder of the Libary NTK French Connection
-----------------------------------
3 Highflyers Precision kites
2 Stacker 10's
1 Stacker 8
Flexifoil Stranger
Flexifoil Physco
Benson Deep Space - My baby :)

Tony S

Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Flexifoil do a clear repair tape that's a film - bit like strong wide sellotape. I have used this on some quite big tears on icarex without the repair standing out much - just stick it on the back of the sail.

I think I bought it last from the Highwaymen, but it was a while ago.

Tony

RoyReed

Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:50 pm

I feel your pain.

If you do get hold of some transparent repair tape cut it so that the patch has rounded corners and it will be much less likely to come away from the sail.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Also, ensure that the sail is very clean and dry where you apply the tape.

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:37 pm

I'm beginning to think,to paraphrase someone else,there are two types of kiter;those who have received doggy damage and those who will.

I got off lightly with two small claw holes in the Gem's sail when yesterday a whippety like pooch just arrived on it whilst I was still inserting the lower spreaders (into the kite fittings....although I was tempted....).

Sub

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Here - Moonie tape, comes in a 12inch length. Just used some myself to reinforce stress zones and stop abrasion. Is clear, sticks like crazy, waterproof, flexible, strong.

Popeye

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:03 pm

The clear tape works really well, lasts for ages and is allmost invisible. I need to get some more, another attack last weekend and yet another hole. :mad:

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:07 pm

Sub wrote:
Here - Moonie tape, comes in a 12inch length. Just used some myself to reinforce stress zones and stop abrasion. Is clear, sticks like crazy, waterproof, flexible, strong.

When they remember to send it to you, eh? ;)

Mark

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:44 pm

@feathers, Moonie tape will work very well although not really designed for the use, however you should try the superglue method if at all possible, when done well the repair is virtually invisible.

Jest_of_EVE wrote:

Oi, you shouldn't let your supplies get so low :lol:

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Craig wrote:
@feathers, Moonie tape will work very well although not really designed for the use, however you should try the superglue method if at all possible, when done well the repair is virtually invisible.

Jest_of_EVE wrote:

Oi, you shouldn't let your supplies get so low :lol:

Every kite is your last kite, that's what they teach you in Hollywood ;)

Mark

yogegoy

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:27 am

I always bring my stungun in case this specifically happens, zap them on the nutz. If that doesn't work my Red Wing steel toe work bootz will show them nutz where east and west are exactly.

feathers
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:05 am

Thanks everyone, i'm luckly that it's just a claw hole....but went over to the owner once it had happened, and politely said, You do realise that your dog has just put a hole in a couple of hundred pounds worth of kite" to which his first answer was " how do i know that wasn't there before" " because it's brand new only flown 5 times" "oh...well what do you want me to do about it, your on the dog walking part of the beach"......(checked the signs later, no mention of that).

I have 2 dogs, and love them to bits....they stay in line line and they know what'll happen if they don't ( one being a dogue de bordeux kinda important!) but it was the owners attitude and that fact the dog was really uncontrolable, demonstrated by the way it then progressed to attack Adam, and result in it getting a well deserved kick. Dogs just have the natural instinct to chase things...fine....but owners, keep them on a lead!! it'll be cheaper for you too!

Oh and mark, after flying a talon for the first time this afternoon, i can safely say my april installment of my student loan is gone :P don't think i'll be eating for a few months.....lmao beautiful kite...oh how my parents will hate you!
Holder of the Libary NTK French Connection

-----------------------------------

3 Highflyers Precision kites

2 Stacker 10's

1 Stacker 8

Flexifoil Stranger

Flexifoil Physco

Benson Deep Space - My baby :)

jaydub

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:12 am

Adam,

Gutted for you. My son and I had a Rottweiler attack our 2nd hand Gem two days after we bought it, so know how you feel.

And Mr Pollitt, you really should know better than walking on the dog feeding part of the beach (didn't you see the signs) at lunchtime. You're bound to be seen as a free lunch. :)

I hope neither of you are any worse off for the experience.

And finally, I made the mistake of flying Adam's Talon once and look at my avatar to see where it got me. :D

ObijuanKenobe

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:31 am

As a dog owner (2), I find this thread disturbing...because folks so dumb shouldn't be allowed to have dogs.

I have had a nearly opposite experience which resulted in a new Androgyn for me. In the NL, having insurance against what your dog will eventually damage is common, and lucky for me this owner was responsible. I did need to run after her to get her to stop and talk to me.... And I am well aware that this was the exception to the rule.

I have now resorted to very loud yelling directly at the owner whenever a dog shows even a faint interest in what's at the end of my lines. I would rather come off as a nut case than have another incident. It is a pity that you don't always have time to do so.

Even after the incident, you should be very clear when speaking to these people that whether they like it or not, they are fully responsible for what their dog does, especially when off the leash. It makes no difference whether it was your kid...or your kite. What if the dog had pissed on your iPod? While this won't get you any farther toward a remedy for the mishap, it is clear as crystal then how your position and theirs differ. Terrible to think these same people are probably also raising kids to think about personal responsibility in this way.

I would venture to guess this guy had far fewer excuses once his poorly trained dog attacked Adam.

Very lame story. You have my sympathy.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Tregolwyn

Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:19 am

feathers wrote:
to which his first answer was " how do i know that wasn't there before"

I think I know that person, exactly the same response I got when my Nirvana got wrecked on a Pembrokeshire beach. Clearly they are holidaying further north this time.

Paul