Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Mr_G
Topic Author

Help with leading edge repair - HQ Maestro II

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi guys,

It's been a while. I've been out flying a bit recently and today I went to the Dips for a fly. I noticed something didn't feel right so fiddled with the bridle thinking that I needed to ease off slightly in the higher winds. Eventually saw the leading edge deforming....landed and investigated thinking maybe I hadn't connected the upper and lower correctly. Turns out the lower part of the leading edge has snapped just below where it connects to the upper. Not sure when or how as there hasn't been any crashes or mishandling since the previous time I was flying (2 days earlier). Possibly been crushed in the boot of the car? I dunno.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wqAr6AFtp1v99Yer6
(IMG tags don't seem to work with link)

Anyway....how the hell do I get these little clips off so can replace it?

Thanks

G

Mr_G
Topic Author

Re: Help with leading edge repair - HQ Maestro II

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Ok....turns out they're glued on..

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:37 pm

you can prise them off but also if you want to reuse them get a par of box nosed combination plies (they have a bit of weight) hold the curved part of the jaws loosely around the spar and slide them sharply at the clip. The impact will crack the glue but leave the clip and spar reusable (if you haven't already broken it)

Mr_G
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:16 pm

Cheers Ian, I got them both off in one piece! Managed to get the nock off too without damaging it.
I'm probably going to replace both sides so will do the same to the other side on the weekend.

Cheers mate.