Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Benson Gem LLE Replacement?

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi all,
So, since i was last on here, I've teamed up with a once retired flyer (I say once, hes getting back into it again now!). We've been out a few times flying and I was fortunate enough to have a few flies on an old Gemini of his. The kites well beyond my capabilities at the moment , but it was great to get a feel for it and how it responds.
I've got the kite on loan at the moment and went flying with it yesterday over at Dunstable. Toward the end of the afternoon, I managed to break/split the lower leading edge (not from a crash surprisingly, but from getting the wingtip caught in a divot in the ground on a recovery launch).
As I'll be getting my own Benson in a month or two, I'd like to practice the replacement myself as it would be good experience - i'm sure there will be many more to come! My fellow flyer is more than happy to help, but it may be a while till we meet again and as I say, I'd like to learn myself.
What I'd like to know is how to actually get it out the leading edge sleeve? I removed the wingtip nock and separated the lower leading edge from the upper (whilst still in the sleeve). I then wanted to slide the damaged lower leading edge out at the bottom of the sleeve at the wing tip. I can only slide it out about an inch or so before the stopper (the one below the bridle knot), meets the opening of the sleeve further up.  I can see this, as its where the bridle knot connects between the stopper and the connector, where there is no sleeve. The stopper looks like it would be too big too slide down inside the sleeve and obviously I haven't forced it, but I can't see how else it can come out? Or maybe that is the way it must come out? The stopper is fixed to the Lower leading edge permanently, or so it feels!
Any suggestions?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Benson Gem LLE Replacement?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:23 am

You should be able to slide it down the leading edge tunnel, as that's how it got there in the first place, untie the bridle first.

However if you still cant slide it out you can snap it off if it's a c-clip or if it's a cut off end cap you can cut along it using a knife (be careful) and peel it off, they're only superglued on.

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks for the info Craig, I’ll try that, I’m ordering a spare from Benson tonight. Would a new GEM LLE Fit all Gem models? The one I need to repair is quite old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaydub

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:36 pm

No.  The current Gems have P200 LEs with internal ferrules.  The old Gems were Structil 6mm with external ferrules and I went through a lot of LLEs when I had a Gem.  Tim will be able to provide you 6mm  LLEs, but they won't be Structil any more, probably Exel and maybe more resilient.  Might be worth replacing both LLEs so the kite is symmetrical.

Just email Tim and tell him what you need.  Don't just order a LLE off the web site

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Very helpful advice, thanks Jaydub!

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Spot on Jaydub, two 6mm Exel on their way to me.