Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Crafter
Topic Author

New build un named .........

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:23 pm

But might call it the Element unless the name has been taken?

So basically what I did was take a 6th Sense 97% profile and a L`Organic 106% profile and overlayed them.
The reason for the percentages is that that gave me the same leading edge length as the Nirvana.

So having this as a start I then made the spine length 88cm (Nirvana) and changed the chord of the trailing edge to average those of both the 6th and the L`organic. Set the distance and length of the stand-off to Nirvana specs and built the kite :-)

Once it was framed a bit of tweeking and shifting of the APA positions gave me what I was trying to achieve which is a freestyle kite with similar frame dimensions to the Nirvana but based on an average of two proven designs.

Sail is Icarex, Dacron leading edges etc etc standard stuff.

Framing:
ULE P200
LLE P300
Spine P300
U spreader 6mm
L spreader Black Diamond 5pt
Standoffs 3mm carbon

Connectors APA

Bridle RTG Reverse Turbo

No idea how it flys yet! There was no wind today but no doubt it will need tuning, should be fun :-)

Thanks for looking, any questions pleas ask :-)

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2600_zpsbr4ijka0.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s725.photobucket.com/user/peteh11/media/DSCN2602_zpsenvpguxf.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Flying Fish

Re: New build un named .........

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Nice one! But the name 'Element' is already taken, by Chris Goff for one of his kites.

Crafter
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks I though it sounded familiar somehow :-)

Any suggestions would be welcome, however its not important as it will never go into production or be sold, just another one of my "give it a go" ideas :-)

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:50 pm

Crafter wrote:
Thanks I though it sounded familiar somehow :-)

Any suggestions would be welcome...

"Auricle" - an organ of sense (hearing)
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:34 am

"Merge"

colour-wise it also looks like more than one kite :)

let us know how it flies!

Krijn

Coogee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:48 am

The Sphinx

A mix with an air of mystery

Mike

Crafter
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions guys :)

I`ll get a couple of hours on it and see if it has any character in its flight capabilities that bring a name to mind as well ........like Crash Test or Plane Lazy for example!! :wink:

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:13 am

Crafter wrote:

I`ll get a couple of hours on it and see if it has any character in its flight capabilities that bring a name to mind as well ........like Crash Test or Plane Lazy for example!! :wink:

Haha! Reminds me of a fibreglass framed kite I made in the 90s. A really robust kite, great for learning how to do all the basic figures, circles, lines in almost any wind. Beginner flyers loved it, but I hated it, cos it was floppy and noisy. I ended up calling it the "Boppa" - from Bag Of Poo
Kevin Sanders

Willunga

South Australia

kareloh

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Merge is cool name...

Crafter
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks Krijn... :D think I`ve adopted that name for it .

I have had a few hours on it now although the wind has been gusty and bumpy so not a good test.

It flies well :D Slightly more reactive? than a Sixth Sense but less than the L`Organic which is what i was looking for.

When i was struggling to hold a fade with the L`Organic in bumpy winds the "Merge" just locked in.

So much so i forgot to do anything with it! just tended the lines until i sort of woke up from trance :D

It is not so different in character from either to be a stand alone design, but very happy I built it, I think its going to be one of my "go to" kites in my bag when i want something gracefull and positive in its actions, very easy to fly and very forgiving .