Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

foggydave
Topic Author

Basting / double sided tape

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 am

Hi
I am going to have a go at making my first kite. Looking at Utube etc it seems the best way to hold a fold or seam before stitching is basting tape. What tape do people use that won't gum up the sewing needle too much, and where do you get it from? (preferably mail order) The kite I am making is a Revolution pattern based on the SLE but vented. As its my first kite I will be using ripstop nylon The tape would need to be around 8mm wide.

Stackman John

Re: Basting / double sided tape

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:51 am

some people use a few spots of cyano super glue to hold the seams in place
10 stacker 6's complete set of colours,3 Pro Speed 6's,6,8,10 Stack of Rainbows,3 Hot Shot 4's,7 other various 6ft Stackers and a Super 10, 9.5mtr Sabre II Depower Foil,4.7 Mtr Rage,2.5 Mtr Rage,Orbit 1.6 Mtr 2 Line Stunt,Benson Deep Space

sugarbaker

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:50 am

I actually use an elmer's glue stick. they dry pretty fast and don't gum up the needle at all. you have to be a little careful, as the bond they make is not extra strong. my preference is the type that goes on purple but dries clear (this way I can tell that I'm getting all the coverage I need). I do use some 1/4" transfer tape... available through most online fabric places. I know that Steve at Chico Kites in California has it, as well as www.goodwinds.com, which is also located in the U.S.

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 pm

8mm seems rather large.

Are you trying to do fell seams? Theyre suprisingly easy without tape, try sewing some scrap first to get a feel for it rather than trying to over complicate the process.

If your doing a simple overlap seam as found on many modern kites (and why not they're stronger) all you need is some 6mm sailmakers tape. Bainbridge, Kayospruce etc all do nice tapes. Personally I prefer Bainbridge over 3M which seems to be everyone elses preference. Avoid buying tape from dressmaking shops since some have paper carriers which go mushy if your kite gets wet.

For just general tacking stuff in place while you get started, eg attaching leading edge tape, Pritt Stick is marvellous and washes off. I guess this is similar to elmers glue sugarbaker suggests.

As for gumming up the needle, use bonded thread - the silicon stops the bogies clinging to the foot/needle and sew faster (you'll sew straighter if you can build your speed up). I apply extra silicon polish to the thread too.

Rather than relying on tape to hold things in the right place buy good quality ripstop that isn't all slippy and stretchy and you may find you dont need to rely on tapes/glues/pins. The dimensional stability of PC31 / Chikara makes life *much* easier than some stretchy balloon fabric. Also getting your machine tensioned correctly for ripstop makes sewing much easier.

Another afterthought - if you've been watching those sailrite vids on youtube, dont assemble your sail like that, kite ripstop is too stretchy and you'll find one panel has mysteriously grown and they doesn't line up at the end. Get a full sized drawing of your sail (or half sail) lay it on a table and put some 3" strips on it in various spots. Peel the paper off then repeatedly roll your hand over it till it almost loses its tackyness. Now lay your kite panels on the paper line them all up and stick down to the de-tackyed tape to lightly hold it in place. Apply tape along a panel edge but dont stretch it as you pull it off the roll or it will pull back and shrink/bunch the panel edge. When you've done a few edges flip the other panel from underneath to ontop, peel the paper off and gently dab to stick together - dont run your finger along it or the panel will stretch. When you've dabbed all the way along then you can rub it down. Repeat for all edges until you've aseembled a sail half.

Hope that helps rather than confuses :oops:

foggydave
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:58 am

Hi
Thanks for the input
The seams on the outside of the existing kite are approx 8mm as are the seams on the panels. The fell seam looks a bit complicated but as yet I have no material to try my sewing skills on (I am off to Highwayman Kites today to get some) I was thinking more along the lines of hemming each panel ie just folding it over on itself and then placing one panel on top of the other. The fell seam looks a lot better.
I must get the names of the different seams. Is there a definitive web site that shows them all?
I have been told to use polyester thread. No one has mentioned bonded thread. Is there any downside to using either?
You lost me on your last paragraph where you mentioned 3" tape.
Also the Pritt Stick idea appeals as a simple method.
Ian How do you apply the extra silicon to the thread before sewing?

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:47 am

Bonded thread can be poly, its just impregnated with silicon. Personally I don't bother with bonded specifically I use Guttermans, thoroughly dowse it in silicon polish (back to black or similar) then leave it to dry. It penetrates deeper than you'd expect, right to the middle and it stopps tape glue sticking. However I have read that guttermans thread has gone off in quality so YMMV, I'm still working through old stock.

I'd avoid the fell seams, too much like hard work and they can tear along the stitching line if you're really unlucky.

Just folded over and sewn down will work fine on the edges, a bit of pritt will tack it in place and if you fold it first and rub the fold with the edge of a credit card you'll get a crease to guide you.

Be careful what ripstop you buy, some cheap nylon will fray at the edges in which case you need to hot cut but most good quality ripstop thats impregnated rathe than coated on one side is OK to cold cut - you won't need to seal the edge.

Bottom line is whatever you do its going to fly and it will look fine at 100' away

Oh and if you're only doing two panels forget the last para - its something that makes sense when you see it but its difficult to explain.

foggydave
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:19 pm

I went down yo Highwayman kites (Such a nice fellow) Who gave me lots of advice. We even found a possible substitute for the Revolution end caps.I came out with Mirai 48g/m2 I am making a vented kite so hopefully the extra weight will not matter.

I have been practicing using double sided tape from Poundland. Works really well and is easier to use than I thought it would be. I even did a fell seam only on a 12" strip but it was ok. It would seem that as in most endeavors its the preparation that counts.
I do like the use of the credit card for creases.
I have a hot knife to cut the material which with a steel straight edge seems more accurate that cutting with scissors.
I have only done 5-6 ft of sewing but have found no problems with gumming up the needle.

Stackman John

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Sounds Great Dave I cant wait to see a DFO kite made by you.
10 stacker 6's complete set of colours,3 Pro Speed 6's,6,8,10 Stack of Rainbows,3 Hot Shot 4's,7 other various 6ft Stackers and a Super 10, 9.5mtr Sabre II Depower Foil,4.7 Mtr Rage,2.5 Mtr Rage,Orbit 1.6 Mtr 2 Line Stunt,Benson Deep Space

foggydave
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi
I made half a Revolution kite today. I am cutting a complete half from the sheet not making it up with panels. I can do that when I get more proficient.

A few observations

I assembled the complete half with vents, leading edge and gussets using double sided tape all went well until I tried to fit the leading edge which had a tendency to distort the sail ie a few slight saggy bits (Given my age a few saggy bits is to be expected). It seems you need to keep tension on the sail all the time when taping seams etc.

When sewing I am ok on the edges of the sail with one fold but on the leading edge with a sandwich if sail, vent gauze, dacron edging and double sided tape the needle really bangs and the machine foot tries to lift. Is this a problem with the needle, foot pressure, needle gumming up, or some other problem.

I must say though for a first attempt at making a kite and sewing it is fairly ok and was a lot easier to do than I imagined.

Thanks for all the tips especially the dabbing down the edges and the credit card tip.

Now for the other half.

foggydave
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi
Just finished and flown my kite. What a great feeling to fly a kite you made yourself. It flies ok but not as well as my genuine Rev SLE I can do all the maneuvers on the new kite that I can on the SLE. Bycycle spins are even easier.
There are a few issues though.
a)I used standard rubber 8mm 'T' connectors for end caps They work ok but look a bit naff so I may revert to paying some money and using the standard Revolution and caps. I also made a bridle to the measurements of a standard SLE which I had to modify to allow for the different end cap arrangement this may have caused a little instability in the kite
b)I made the kite in two sections with a joint in the middle. The material on this join has stretched for some reason which is causing a sag. I can see now that the seams and panel configuration on a standard Rev add the the stiffness and profile of the kite when under pressure so I may put a complete panel in the middle.
c) I used polyester thread which broke quite often. I am new to sewing so am not sure if this is my sewing technique that is wrong or the polyester. I used a lot of double sided tape especially when overlapping with dacron could the breakage be due to double sided tape and gumming up? Are there different strengths of polyester or should I use nylon.
d) When sewing through 2 layers of dacron with a layer of venting and sail the foot of the machine lifts up on the needle upstroke. Do you use adifferent needle when machining layers like this or is it the layers of double sided tape that are sticking to the needle and material.
Once again thanks for the input
Time for kite number 2

Stackman John

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:46 pm

evry 1 I have talked too and read threads about making their own kites has said that when they make their first kite ts always a bit rough and they tend to learn from their mistakes. Post this same thread on the GOKF face book page and im 100% sure that they will help you dave as thats what they do all day long through the winter. congrats on ur 1st Rev at least it flys and not a total waste. john stackman

Broady

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:18 pm

It looked amazing when I saw the half, can't wait to see the whole thing and the 2nd kite!
I need to buy q few bits and try and make my own ...
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

honchoboy

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 pm

For my last 2 builds I have been using a Seamstick tape available from PJ Sails. I feel confident to fully recommend it. The adhesion is spot-on, very easy and quick to work with, clean, and has yet to gum up my needle. Superb stuff. They also sell 1/4 inch mylar tape on a side note if my memory is correct.

I like Gutermanns thread all the way. I once tried the Coats Duet stuff but found it way too fluffy in some areas of the spool but weak in others. I did not like it and found it a pain in the arse to work with.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

pink

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:48 am

Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

foggydave
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 am

Hi Pink Thanks for the information. Since I posted the question I have made over a dozen kites mainly Revolutions with a few single line Roks to try applique.
On nearly all the seams I use 10mm double sided tape from Poundland £1 for 4 rolls and it does all I want on straight seams. On the applique'd kites or curved seams I use Pritstick as it holds very well and the bond is easily broken when you cut out the form on the back side it also washes off easily. I have tried using PVA type glues but seemed to get more on me than the kite. Also using 8-10mm double sided tape also gives a great datum line for placement of the panels or folding of the edges.

Dave