Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Idea for a vented Kite

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:17 am

Forgive me if I treading old ground here but rather than having an impermeable membrane like icarex with holes in for the vented version of a particular kite has anyone experimented with semi-permeable materials with no additional vents/ holes in? This would have a number of advantages which would include it not requiring so much rebalancing and it should fly more like the standard version. You could always have a mega vent incorporating both features. Hhhhmmmm

RoyReed

Re: Idea for a vented Kite

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Does mesh count as 'semi-permeable'?

Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:10 pm

I was thinking that the whole sail could be made from one fabric alone, therefore the most mesh would be too permeable. Some form of perforated fabric.

ObijuanKenobe

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:17 pm

That Neutron in Belgium just had small holes all over. Nice flying vent. Standard was nothing to write home about.

obi

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Something like this (L1 Easy VTD) ?

-Frazer

harveystubbs
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:54 pm

I am thinking of a fabric where the holes are much finer than a mesh so that you can not even tell that it has holes from a distance. Simplicity !

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:59 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
I am thinking of a fabric where the holes are much finer than a mesh so that you can not even tell that it has holes from a distance. Simplicity !

I'm no expert, but I doubt that such a material would allow enough air through, quickly enough to make for a good vented kite.

-Frazer

ObijuanKenobe

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Perhaps more importantly, there must still be air flow...which won't happen over a pure mesh. Remember we still need the basic physical reasons the kite flies to remain constant.

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:52 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Perhaps more importantly, there must still be air flow...which won't happen over a pure mesh

Allegedly Dean Jordan built an all mesh Pro, ISTR it was reckoned to need about 50mph to fly though :lol:

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:37 am

harveystubbs wrote:
Forgive me if I treading old ground here but rather than having an impermeable membrane like icarex with holes in for the vented version of a particular kite has anyone experimented with semi-permeable materials with no additional vents/ holes in? This would have a number of advantages which would include it not requiring so much rebalancing and it should fly more like the standard version. You could always have a mega vent incorporating both features. Hhhhmmmm

I have a home made Northshore Radical that has this. It wasn't intentional, but the ripstop nylon used turned out to be completely porous.. you can even hold a vacuum cleaner over the material without it being sucked up the nossle!

As a "vent" works really well... but I was really after a standard :roll:
Dave Morley

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:19 am

The "vent" panels on the MEFM Missile are a very fine nylon mesh - more like what my Grandma used to have as net curtains in her front room.

Works very well, and gives surprisingly good lower wind speed performance.

I've seen one set of five MEFMs where the venting panels varied from one vent either side to two, three and four vents either side (every second panel), plus a matching non vented icarex one. They all fly just like the standard, but in stronger winds.
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia