Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

 
Cocabeen
Topic Author
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Attaching leader lines

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:56 am

Please forgive me if this has already been done, but have looked and found no real descritption of the best way to attach leader lines. Read plenty of posts regarding leaving them on the kite, on the lines and recommended length but cannot find any info on which knot and best method. If anyone could point me in the right direction, much appreciated.


Scott.
 
User avatar
Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Posts: 5761
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Epsom Downs, near the red cross.

Re: Attaching leader lines

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Use a larkshead, the same as you use to attach your normal lines.

http://www.kiteboardingevolution.com/la ... -knot.html
 
Cocabeen
Topic Author
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Attaching leader lines

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Craig, thanks for the prompt response. I gathered as much it seemed logical enough. Basically ordered some bridal line to make some for both my kites. Essentially it will be overhand knot with loop to attach to kite and overhand knot as stopper on other end. Sleeving on existing lines will not make create any problems? It just looks a little messy and wanted to make sure what I was thinking was correct.
 
User avatar
Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter
Posts: 5761
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Epsom Downs, near the red cross.

Re: Attaching leader lines

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Cocabeen wrote:
Essentially it will be overhand knot with loop to attach to kite and overhand knot as stopper on other end. Sleeving on existing lines will not make create any problems? It just looks a little messy and wanted to make sure what I was thinking was correct.


That's the way I do it, with no adverse problems. Some replace a whole length of the bridle to incorporate a 'built in' leader line, but I've never bothered, I keep my leaders attached to the line set rather than the kite.
 
anOldMan
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Attaching leader lines

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 pm

It depends on where you want to but the leader line. You can attach the leader line to the tow line on the kite. Or you can attach the leaders to your line set and have a leader line for all kites.

Depending on the bridle of the kite, you might want to replace the current tow line with your leader line.

Regards
Last edited by anOldMan on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
anOldMan
 
User avatar
Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Attaching leader lines

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:50 am

Call me a cheapskate but I just went to a local sowing shop, picked up some blind pull chord(£1.40 for 10 meters) and used that as leaders. Made them 6ft in length and they work fine. Attached them as Craig has pointed out and have had no problems. Before I fitted the chord I gave it a strength test in a vice and I couldn't break it.
 
User avatar
jaydub
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:32 am

Re: Attaching leader lines

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 am

You are a cheapskate :D

The 6' of nylon pull chord will probably stretch more than the 25-30m of spectra line you have attached to it.

Even the best quality spectra cored bridle line (as sold by the FA shop) will only set you back a few quid.

Tim Benson recommends heavy duty spectra line which is even cheaper.
 
Cocabeen
Topic Author
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Attaching leader lines

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:15 am

thanks all for the advice, relative new comer after a long gap from when I was a wee nipper. Might drive straight past the local sewing shop though (no offence) and stick with the bridal line as ordered.
 
User avatar
Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Attaching leader lines

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:42 pm

jaydub wrote:
You are a cheapskate :D

The 6' of nylon pull chord will probably stretch more than the 25-30m of spectra line you have attached to it.

Even the best quality spectra cored bridle line (as sold by the FA shop) will only set you back a few quid.

Tim Benson recommends heavy duty spectra line which is even cheaper.

You may be right but I was impatient and needed to get the job done. Time will tell on the stretch factor. If its no good Ill get the proper stuff next time.
 
Fiction
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Posts: 1507
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:43 pm
Location: Island of Carlotta

Re: Attaching leader lines

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:28 pm

It's not so much it stretching, and staying stretched. The problem I think, would be it acting like elastic and absorbing the inputs, but if you haven't noticed any adverse effects....
Rob
6Fivers To the break of dawn
 
User avatar
Zippy8
Posts: 5954
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:43 pm
Location: Vihtavuori, Finland
Contact:

Re: Attaching leader lines

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 pm

I'd be concerned about wear, both on the leaders and the kite, as well. If it isn't smooth and slippery then it's defeating the object of using leaders.

Mike.
 
tpatters
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Attaching leader lines

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Maybe its an imagined issue, but I don't like leaders (beyond what most kites come with built into the bridle - enough for 1 wrap) for ULs and SULs, especially SULs. Seems like the big issue is if you are doing multiple wraps, which I only do in light wind, and not all that often.

I fly with guys that put them on all their kites and don't seem to mind. I certainly felt a difference with my Exile UL in light wind with and without leaders, preferring it without.

Anyone care to weigh in?
 
User avatar
Finklius Munkum
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: Attaching leader lines

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:41 pm

I was getting very nasty cuts on my rubber spreader holding whatsits until I started using leaders . . . ;)
I wanna go flying!
 
Cocabeen
Topic Author
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Attaching leader lines

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:53 pm

Finklius Munkum wrote:
I was getting very nasty cuts on my rubber spreader holding whatsits until I started using leaders . . . ;)


Have to be honest this is the main reason I am applying them, more so protection policy rather than snag enhancement.
 
anOldMan
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Attaching leader lines

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:59 pm

tpatters wrote:
Maybe its an imagined issue, but I don't like leaders (beyond what most kites come with built into the bridle - enough for 1 wrap) for ULs and SULs, especially SULs. Seems like the big issue is if you are doing multiple wraps, which I only do in light wind, and not all that often.

I fly with guys that put them on all their kites and don't seem to mind. I certainly felt a difference with my Exile UL in light wind with and without leaders, preferring it without.

Anyone care to weigh in?


I use leader lines for all my kites including the ULs and the SULs. The main reason I have them on those kites is to keep the very light lines away from the tips of the kites. I will put up with the extra weight of the kite just to stop all the time I use to spend clearing tip wraps.
anOldMan