Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

tpatters

Re: Heavy winds, light kites

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:19 am

Got a little flying in today in this and I shot a bit of video of it as well.

It's not wind into the 20s (on this chart), but it is the wind that I bought the kite to fly in. I only shot video when the wind was up,(16-19 time slot in this chart) so its at least upper teens. Guys flying power kites with meters on the field were reading 20.

For sure, it shows a 3pt framed vented light flying in bumpy winds close to 20 under no duress. The flying in it isn't much, about all I do are cometes and turns - it really was bad wind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey Tom,

Why not lend Mike the kite for independent assessment ?

I'll pay your shipping/insurance costs (~$35)

That'd put an end to this discussion.

-Frazer

tpatters

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:47 am

Here is the video - the flying is so so, but I think you can see that the kite is stable (at least by my definition). Based on 2 weather stations (16-19 and 16-22) and an on-field hand held wind meters (21mph), my best estimate is that this is truly close to 20. I only included the highest wind video.

http://vimeo.com/10860021

I'm rather new to high wind flying, but I've seen Lam do some amazing flying with the vented in 25. At that level, the kite may be Fearless, but I'm not! :)
I only wish I had taped it - some day, I will - hopefully at one of the festivals this summer .

@Frazer - I thought about shipping the kite, but I just don't think I would want to be without it for very long. If we meet, I'd be happy to let you or any competent flyer try it out. As always, you should try before you buy - this kite has a different feel than others I've flown, but thats exactly why I like it so much. Its small input, patient with the flyer, and has a very stable turtle - some just don't care for all those attributes. On the other hand, if you buy one and don't care for it - I don't think you would be in any danger of losing more than $75 or so by selling it to someone at a discount.

ObijuanKenobe

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 am

Well, that settles it for me.

1. It was definitely higher winds. The trees in the background are a perfect reference. Well done, Tom.
2. It was flying as a typical kite in that wind. Nothing unbelievable here, and quite frankly, nothing unusual.

Phew. I don't NEED one. If anything, when Tom was in frame, it appeared to have a rather light pull relative to kites I fly. I'd like to try one, if only to compare their feel to the Sea Devil.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:44 pm

I can't really see the wingtips - but given the buzzsaw noise the kite is making one must assume there is not inconsiderable shudder.

I do appreciate you taking the time to make the movie - but it really doesn't show the Fearless to be anything special at all. As Obi said - that
could be just about any kite in too much wind.

The Fearless - is all hype and no trousers, so why not just buy any other kite and trouser that extra $200 ?

-Frazer

ObijuanKenobe

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:21 pm

By your own estimates, the winds were bumping to around 20mph. So you were flying in the variable teens, with 20mph gusts, and there was no sign of 'easy laid back tricking' (my word choice based on preconceived expectations of performance) in these conditions. In fact, the kite buzzed loudly while being somewhat fast and squirrelly...like most kites are in that range. According to your posted graph, there were plenty of moments where the average pilot could have coped well in theory. While this is meaty wind, this does not (in my book qualify) for flying/tricking in +20mph wind.

I would venture to guess that 10mph of additional sustained wind on top of this would have been laughable, and sent at least you home.

As I suggested, alot of the debate is coming directly out of what folks call 'wind speed'. If you use the maximum spot values of gusts as 'wind speed', loads of kites can fly in +20mph winds.

The reason everyone was calling 'BS' is that tricking in a sustained wind of >20mph with anything designated as a 'light' kite would be very impressive indeed. Think of it in terms of the weather forecast. If I see forecasted average winds of 25mph, I am not thinking 'let's go fly.' I am thinking, 'that sucks.' And I don't think having a Fearless vented light, or Fearless light, or Fearless vented standard would change that perspective all that much.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

tpatters

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:56 pm

The strength of this kite is not flying in 20, but flying in 15, IMO. In that wind, I can do all sorts of tricks with it. Its a great kite and has some unique properties that I haven't found in other kites - whether you like it or not is a personal thing. More competent flyers can do more with the kite I am sure - if you noticed I just stood there while flying it, with little to no effort to generate slack. I am more of a moderate wind flyer, I want the kite to work for me not the other way around - if that means working on the comete in 20mph, then so be it.

Not sure why anyone would base their desire to purchase a kite solely based only upon how the vent flys in high wind. If you do that, I don't think you would buy any sort of trick kite. Also, keep in mind that the standard vent flys slower in higher wind even without the brakes, which is my only concern over the light when the wind gets high. The brakes slow it down probably 20% or so. I've owned lots of different vents, this is the only one I've ever kept.

The buzz is part of the experience for the Fearless. In anything but light wind, it generates some roar. It also has a light pull - I can fly it all day in high wind particularly with the reverse turbo bridle.
Last edited by tpatters on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 pm

tpatters wrote:
The strength of this kite is not flying in 20, but flying in 15.

So we're down to 15 now then. And which flavor are you advocating now ? The Light Vent, The Light, The SUL ?

A couple more days and you'll be waxing all lyrical about the advantages of the STD in 5-8mph.

I'd leave it be if I were you ... you're creditability suffers which each and every post.

-Frazer

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:32 pm

tpatters wrote:
Here is the video

Many thanks.

There's quite a lot about this that is different. You're using 90# line for a kick off :shock: , the kite isn't being distorted anything quite as much as I would have expected and shows no sign of failure. OK, it's not quite the situation that kicked off this little enquiry :wink: (it's the Light Vent, it's not above 20mph) but I think that you've done a good job of showing that the Fearless might just have something about it that does allow it to fly in more wind than is considered "normal". Which is interesting :-k

Mike.

tpatters

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
tpatters wrote:
Here is the video

Many thanks.

There's quite a lot about this that is different. You're using 90# line for a kick off :shock: , the kite isn't being distorted anything quite as much as I would have expected and shows no sign of failure. OK, it's not quite the situation that kicked off this little enquiry :wink: (it's the Light Vent, it's not above 20mph) but I think that you've done a good job of showing that the Fearless might just have something about it that does allow it to fly in more wind than is considered "normal". Which is interesting :-k

Mike.

Thanks Mike - we went a long way around the barn, but I think we made a bit of progress. It was never my intention to offend anyone, but I couldn't help taking the doubts personally. I do understand why folks would have them however. The standard vent is a better choice if you want to fly in 20. I see the vented light as a specialty kite - a great replacement for a light/standard.

90# line is fine for this kite as long as its in good shape, it really doesn't pull that much, but you do know its there.