Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

turbo23
Topic Author

Stall in learning

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:30 am

Ive been flying for alittle over a year now. I have been flying cosmic's most of the year, and I feel I am growing quite rapidly in the tricks department. Recently I picked up a deepspace after finding a NFX not to my liking. Ive been giving the DS alot of time, and I find Im liking it more and more with each outing. However, once I returned back to the TC, I found I almost lost the touch for flying. I feel as if Im stuck in a transition period, where I will either come out a better pilot, or get lost and fustrated. Anyone else experience this?

tpatters

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:11 am

Sounds like you have some nice kites - I'd pick one and spend some time on it for 6 months or so and see how you progress. Really get to know it, how it flys, and how it tricks.

Infinitive

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:38 am

I also think it is important to stick with one kite, or at least a genre of kites while learning. If there is a trick-kite spectrum with "tricky as feck, forgiving but lacking grace" at one end and "crisp but mildly limited tricks, fussy but graceful", the DS and CTC sit at opposite ends of it - it's not surprising you'll have trouble with the CTC after flying the DS for a while.

Maybe stick with one. The DS is definitely more suitable for a learner. Yes, I think we have all experienced this.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

anOldMan

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:46 am

tpatters wrote:
Sounds like you have some nice kites - I'd pick one and spend some time on it for 6 months or so and see how you progress. Really get to know it, how it flys, and how it tricks.

This is very good advice. But what happens after you really know the kite. (After a year, you probably knew th TC.) When you start working with a second or third kite, remember to go back to the first kite once in a while so you do not have to relearn the touch of the first kite.

The problem is, the actions to perform the trick are the same for each kite. BUT the speed and strength needed to do the trick differ for each kite. Everyone has this problem. Some can made the adjustment very quickly, others, take a little longer.

Good luck with your kites, and have fun.
anOldMan

Aeri

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:03 am

what I allways try is to learn a trick on one specific kite...
once I can do it on that kite consistantly.. I try it on other kites...
you find that you'll have to change the movements a bit but the basics is the same...
trying to learn a trick wile changing kites makes it just a bit harder because you wont know what part is you making the error or what part is just the kite demanding other movements or timing...
Old school was a great school

turbo23
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I knew the CTC pretty well, which is why I wanted to give the DS a shot. I may go back to the CTC for the next few months, and work harder on consistency.

kevspilly

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:33 pm

I also think it is important to stick with one kite,

I agree, stick with one kite and avoid chopping & changing.

Funny thing is though when you teach one kite in you bag a trick then they all start doing it. :o
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Yeah but chopping and changing's half the fun, I wouldn't sweat it. Just go out and enjoy yourself.

Miles F

Re: Stall in learning

Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Dito Al's advice, I have and fly both a DS and Cosmics and I know thwt stuck in a rut feeling all to well. To progress stick with one kite and I would say go with the Cosmic. There's also a lot of fun to be had from flying other kites but I'd say use this to re-examine the trick techniques you know well as a kind of masterclass to add to your knowledge and refine your skill.

Progress always seems to be in plateaued stages unless you are very talented so hang in there and don't get discouraged :)
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.