Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

DWayne

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:11 pm

(If you're not buying one made by Mark I'll assume you're not buying a Talon. You may regret not getting the Talon.)
Back on subject, the Talon UL is my favorite kite. Though the Talon std. runs a close second. Personally I'd choose a Deep Space UL over a Gem UL. The Talon and the Deep Space are quite similar and suit my style of flying a bit more than the Gem does.
YRMV.

Denny
Rehab is for Quitters

Zippy8

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:32 am

Gem UL Vs. Talon UL ? Score draw.

Pick one, fly it, enjoy it. Base your decision on price, prettiness, flip of a coin, whatever. No wrong decision here. If you know enough about your flying style to know you have a flying style then you should be able to choose for yourself anyway.

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:44 am

I'd consider throwing the DSUL into the mix, just to confuse matters further.

Blownfuse

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:35 am

Kamikaze wrote:
Though my standard won´t be made by Mark. Hope I don´t regret that.)

Who else makes Talons?

David

No one but Mark makes Talons. And my Talon UL is fantastic, and I´m dead-chuffed about it.

Also. when I get the money to buy a vented, it will be a Talon.

For my standard though, I have chosen another kite. I just had to get it, ever since I saw some pics of it. And when I imagined how it would look in my favourite colours, I was sold, hook, line and sinker. My standard is being made by Matt Brown. It´s a Webbed Synthesis.

Ps. and sorry to Moon Fog, for derailing his thread a little.

Pps. Talon UL is the one to get.
:wink:

Ppps. Just my opinion. Can always buy the Gemini, Deep Space, Mamba, Temptation...... later.

anOldMan

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

I happen to own a Talon UL, the Gemini UL and the DS UL. I would be hard put to choose just one of them.

Zippy8 wrote:
Gem UL Vs. Talon UL ? Score draw.

Pick one, fly it, enjoy it. Base your decision on price, prettiness, flip of a coin, whatever. No wrong decision here. If you know enough about your flying style to know you have a flying style then you should be able to choose for yourself anyway.

Mike.

Mike is correct. There is no wrong decision between the kites.

Andy S wrote:
I'd consider throwing the DSUL into the mix, just to confuse matters further.

Adding the DSUL to the mix is a very valid consideration.

I have spent a few hours fling a E2 and any of the three kites will be a revelation to you about the abilities of a two line trick kite.

ps. Yes, the picture is a DS UL.
anOldMan

jaydub

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:43 pm

If you want a UL to give you additional wind range below a standard, it's worth noting that the Gem UL is considered more of a light standard than a true UL. In weight terms both the Talon and the DS (if that's being considered top the scales at 240g, whereas the Gem UL is 265g.

No idea what your synthesis will fly like, so it's difficult to comment what may complement it best. From the limited experience I have with them, the Talon UL has the most presence on the lines, whereas the DS and Gem ULs have a more floaty feel to them.

All good choices, so take your pick. :?

Blownfuse

Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:43 am

Just to eradicate any misunderstandings.... I am not the one asking about what kite to get. Just one thing let to another, and the thread got derailed.

Moon Fog started the thread, asking about the Gemini UL vs Talon UL.
JoE Talon UL
MB Webbed Synthesis
AeroStar Stryke Fighter
What next...
Blue Moon MSE UL on the way
:-$

anOldMan

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:51 am

Moon Fog started the thread, asking about the Gemini UL vs Talon UL.

As much as I like the Gemini UL, if you have only flown a E2, then the Talon UL would be the best choice of the two for your next kite.
anOldMan

Moon fog
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't know if the decision has been made any easier though :-k but I've definitely been given more food for thought. Image

I think I may be gently being persuaded towards the Talon although not decisively. In any case, I guess I should make a quick decision one way or the other before the prices go rocketing up or something! :shock:

Cheers.