Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

kevspilly

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 pm

yes - you really need to try out a potential purchase before putting down £££'s for one.

Yeah like has been previously mentioned a good SUL that you can trick with properly and do a bit precision with is going to cost you around £250+

You might like to try a few of someone elses kites first before burning the dosh on one :shock:
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Aeri

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:38 pm

a good kite is one you like...
or, to get on dangerous grounds... you connect with...
Old school was a great school

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Deciding between an SUL, and a UL will be important - they're each quite different (kite and personal viewpoint dependant). Low to no wind 'flying', vs light wind 'flying'.

Bryan

NickM
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Lots of good ideas for me to ponder. I think I am more in the market for an UL because all the running around for "no wind" SUL stuff doesn't appeal. I wonder how long before a DS UL actually appears? From what I read it's been in the offing for ages. Some great UL Talon vids on youtube. Definitely will try to have a go first before dropping ~ £250 on the kite.

Thanks again and Cheers,

Nick

(writing this while watching the BBC predicting winds tomorrow of 23 mph plus rain....)

kitegem

Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:40 am

I'm fond of the Exile UL and the Ghost right now.

They will soon be joined by the DSUL.

Looking forward to that.

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:18 am

Aeri wrote:
a good kite is one you like...
or, to get on dangerous grounds... you connect with...

I think it's safe to Gel with a kite though ----

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... hlight=gel

:-)
"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows." - Bob Dylan.

sprdbryj

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:43 pm

The Akuji SUL flies in very low wind - circa 1mph - ie walking backwards. The comp flies down to about 3 mph and the SUL up to about 5 mph which sort of makes the UL redundant.

Of necessity, the Akuji SUL, like any SUL has little mass and therefore little inertia. You need light lines and to stroke it round rather than being aggressive with it, but it will trick just fine in very low wind.

I've never known an SUL 'feel' like a standard kite, so I've just had to learn that SUL flying is different.

I can't comment on the TC Ghost having never flown one but judging by the videos on the site it looks a really good SUL.

if you have other Akujis, go for the Akuji SUL. If you don't, and can afford the TC, I'd go for the TC.

tpatters

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:52 am

Try a Fearless SUL - the best SUL I've ever flown.

Does all the tricks in little wind with no compromises. Best of all, it "feels" like a Fearless. The whole line has the same strengths and flying style - no need to totally re-learn how to fly your kite for different wind conditions.

And if for some crazy unlikely reason you actually don't like it, then you can sell it and likely be out $50 (USD) or so.