Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

hunchermuncher
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:48 am

Hey I managed a turtle and feel slightly proud :) The axel and half-axel remain elusive for the moment...

asburyparkjohn

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:20 am

My suggestion is to get a list of tricks from the Trick Party Lists from Level 1 to Level 5 and work you way up - SLOWLY. If you notice certain flyers in competition like the Virtual Freestyle certain competitors do the same trick or trick combo even in 60 seconds over and over again. I have been guilty of jumping ahead too quick as I can now do a Lewis almost at will yet can not do a half axel and therefore a Cascade - yep. This creates a void in my ballet. Working on that this year.
I think the snap stall is the first most important trick. There is no fast lane to Level 5 ... PRACTICE/PRACTICE/PRACTICE.

Good Luck
Asburyparkjohn
Asbury Park, NJ
\:D/
Kite Bag: Fearless - SUL, Light & Light/Vent. L'Atelier xt.z. Fearless SSUL Tattoo (SSUL). Fearless - Light & Light-Vent. (Tranformer - 2) SUL, Light (5PT) and Vent (7PT). GPS (Light and Vent-Light Custom/UNIQUE - 3PT)).

Eddie Green

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:03 am

Oh the Tyranny! :-)

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:18 am

Well, ABJohn...I see that as really no biggie in the long run. Having the Lewis in the bag is not a bad place to be. That means you are nearly there with the Grizzly then! (And...the half axel is easy...as is the cascade. Put half the time into the half axel you did into the Lewis, and you'll be golden. What I think is the mistake often made with the half axel is slack time. It's very very quick, and then you need to be taking up the opposite side and flying off again or some kites do some crazy stuff! In general, unlike in the lewis, the slack during the half axel and cascade alternates between sides...you really don't slack both lines at the same time ever.)

And hunchermuncher...when you get the turtle, push one hand forward out in front of you, pop the other by your side (short pull) and step forward one good step at the same time...volia, lazy susan!!!

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Zippy8

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:03 am

asburyparkjohn wrote:
If you notice certain flyers in competition like the Virtual Freestyle certain competitors do the same trick or trick combo even in 60 seconds over and over again

And that my friend is what we like to call..... style. :wink:

Mike.

hunchermuncher
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks for all the tips. And Obi, I got my first Lazy Susan this evening, with help from Yan at Rougham, along with a half-arsed attempt at an Axel.

hunchermuncher
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:05 am

Anyone know where to get the Trick Party list as the website seems to be RIP?

jaydub

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:54 am

On the FA Tricki Wicki (off the menu options)

hunchermuncher
Topic Author

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 am

I can't quite find the Trick Party List there :(

Zippy8

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:43 am

Here.

Mike.

hunchermuncher
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Thanks! 8)