Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Just curious - forget the appearance and the prejudice, can anyone say what the E2 was like to fly? It was supposed to be just an updated Eclipse and the Eclipse was a nice kite, remarkably tricky for its age.
Who knows, the E3 might fly better than it looks.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:32 pm

Shallow turtles and floppy/noodly frame - but really not that bad for old skool type stuff.

Does lovely slow JL's ... its a good kite to learn those on IMHO.

And a tendency to pull - a lot - when the wind comes up.

-Frazer
Last edited by fworley on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

anOldMan

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:07 pm

fworley wrote:
Shallow turtles and floppy/noodly frame - but really not that bad for old skool type stuff.

Does lovely slow JL's ... its a good kite to learn those on IMHO.

-Frazer

Add very easy yo yo's and very tight turns with a bit (probable more than a bit) over steer. Probable do to the radical bridle. (E3 has a new bridle setup). For my style of flying, I have trouble putting the kite in a flat spin except in low winds.
anOldMan

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Ian Newham wrote:
... It was supposed to be just an updated Eclipse and the Eclipse was a nice kite, remarkably tricky for its age.
Who knows, the E3 might fly better than it looks.

I took out my Eclipse recently and was amazed how many "modern" tricks it does really easily. Very balanced feel, predictable and responsive - nice kite.

The E2 I borrowed was NOTHING like the Eclipse. Very tight turns with lots of oversteer, little precision, wibbly-wobbly frame. The owner offered it to me at a giveaway price - I declined.
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:02 pm

'Moral high ground'

Take 'em each for what they are. Quite a lot of stuff out there will do some things really nicely, whilst failing quite miserably on others, including Prisms.

Now, Where's that gutter I was in?

Bryan

kevspilly

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:49 pm

The E2 I borrowed was NOTHING like the Eclipse. Very tight turns with lots of oversteer, little precision, wibbly-wobbly frame. The owner offered it to me at a giveaway price - I declined.

I think this must have been a duffer!

My E2 is fitted with hot rods which are fairly stiff.
Although not in the class of my other kites it's not a bad kite to fly or learn on.
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:55 am

It looks like Prism are marketing some new line sets as well...

http://gwtw-kites.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8 ... f58970b-pi

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 am

kevspilly wrote:
I think this must have been a duffer!

My E2 is fitted with hot rods which are fairly stiff.
Although not in the class of my other kites it's not a bad kite to fly or learn on.

Maybe not a duffer - the Eclipse was a nice kite, tricky and with a heavily preloaded frame, remarkably stiff even in 6mm pultrude.

If the E2 was designed to be noob friendly, with rods that bend rather than break, its quite likely that it felt wobbly by comparison. I'm surpised its turtles shallow though, ISTR lazies were one of the Eclipses party pieces.

Oh well, I was regretting selling my Eclipse and thinking an E2/E3 might be fun but maybe not after all, especially not with those colour schemes :wink:

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:42 pm

I had an E2, bought second hand mostly to see what it was like.

It was a perfectly acceptable, if limited, kite. For the "I can avoid the ground most of the time now" level flyer it was grand. The Hot Rods™ were fairly pointless to the owner and seemed to serve only to ensure Prism's revenue stream - they offered nothing that couldn't had from SkyShark except you had to get them via Prism. Later E2s had P200s so I think my point stands.

After a short while it made its way to Juha who did a short video that had more Yoyos in it than I did in all my time with the kite. Not a bad kite but one a developing flyer would rapidly outgrow.

Mike.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Yeah, I remember liking the E2 quite a bit. I eventually sold it to a beginner friend of mine, but it was definitely a well mannered kite - much more so than, for instance, the Elixir, a kite which I'm a big fan of. (By the way, I went through my kite bag the other day and was suprised to find I own TWO Elixirs. :shock: )

The video Mike mentioned used to be online somewhere. Hm.

kevspilly

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Well as I said & confirm by Zippy8 & Juha I didn't think the kite was that bad at all.

In fact as it comes with decent lines, straps , DVD & coupled with it's good wind range I thought it would be an ideal starter kite. Even more if some some yoyo stoppers were added.

and was suprised to find I own TWO Elixirs.

If next time you look and there is three can I have one please!
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

damp_weather

Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:55 pm

For those of you who care....

...."Official information" on the E3 is now posted on the Prism forum, written by Mark Reed himself. Includes explanations of: why do an E3, what parts are common with E2, etc.. - Probably more to follow, possibly on other new products. Look for the "Coming up for Air" thread at the top of the "Prism Flyers Lounge".

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:23 am

damp_weather wrote:
For those of you who care....

...."Official information" on the E3 is now posted on the Prism forum, written by Mark Reed himself. Includes explanations of: why do an E3, what parts are common with E2, etc.. - Probably more to follow, possibly on other new products. Look for the "Coming up for Air" thread at the top of the "Prism Flyers Lounge".

Ta,I like to keep abreast of things.

p.s.don't tell anyone,but I think I could live with the 'Graphite' one.

kitekid
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:38 pm

Later E2s had P200s so I think my point stands.

Fact of the matter is that E2's ALWAYS had P200 rods in them.
Steve

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:43 pm

kitekid wrote:
Later E2s had P200s so I think my point stands.

Fact of the matter is that E2's ALWAYS had P200 rods in them.

Interesting........