Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

edle
Topic Author

Recoating flying lines ????

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:55 am

'I'll happily use anything. Keep 'em clean and recoat them, they all seem to last. '

What do you mean by recoating lines ?

Zippy8

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 am

1. Wash lines.
2. Spray with silicone.
3. Wipe off any excess.

The effect is to refresh your lines. It won't repair damaged lines but so long as you don't pick up more dirt with overly sticky lines it does improve them.

Mike.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 am

A couple of data-points:

The ancient (Shanti) lines that I use with my always-in-the-car-just-in-case kite were recently starting to squeak and bind after about 3 twists. Just chucked them (on winder) in the machine with a load of washing and they're now good for a dozen or so twists.

I once made the mistake of recoating lines with 3-in-1 Silicone spray; it made them significantly worse.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:56 am

Soap and water only :thumbsup:

kareloh

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:59 am

For me:

LPG and Climax Protec.
Used Climax profi as well, great when new... but get's old quickly.

Sub

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:41 am

sftonkin wrote:
A couple of data-points:

The ancient (Shanti) lines that I use with my always-in-the-car-just-in-case kite were recently starting to squeak and bind after about 3 twists. Just chucked them (on winder) in the machine with a load of washing and they're now good for a dozen or so twists.

on winder... lol... so that's where I went wrong? :P

kitegem

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:59 am

Are you missing out?

Not especially.

Merely a preference.

I've got one set of Shanti 80lb., now called 90lb BTW - it's the same stuff, that refuses to die. I've had them since the Mid-Nineties. Shanti wears fantastically well. I went away from it for a time; but when Laser Pro took a dive quality-wise there for a while, I came back and have been using it ever since.

But, as you so rightly say, nothing to worry about.

Just stay away from the fishing Spectra. :shock:

The line available is really all pretty good, even generic Dyneema.

I just find Shanti to be remarkably trouble free and of very high quality. Also, it's priced very reasonably on this side of the pond.

I think the difference between line becomes less and less descernable as the weight goes up as long as it's fairly smooth.

Zippy8 wrote:
kitegem wrote:
Shanti.

Just a Q:-

obviously you've had more cause to try these lines out than some others but even given that Shanti are "the best" is the difference enough to worry about ?

I've got a motley collection of lines of many types and vintages and I'm not convinced that I'd be too fussed over choosing one set of 150# lines over another. I like the Climax Professionals (and I'll probably buy them next if/when I need more lines) but I've got Shanti, Laser Pro Gold and a bunch of Cyclonetoo. Just so long as they are equalised and undamaged I'll happily use anything. Keep 'em clean and recoat them, they all seem to last.

Seriously though... am I missing out on something here ?

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:03 pm

FWIW Craig and I tried a few different lines before settling on Shanti for the shop. We both really liked LPG when it's fresh out of the packet, but found it ages poorly. Shanti, whilst not initally having quite the glossy lovelyness of a new pair of LPGs, stays feeling nice for much much longer.

Popeye

Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:08 pm

I like shanti, just seems to last. lpg just keeps breaking.

jaydub

Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Interesting how subjective we all are. :)

For what it's worth, here's my experience.

Since I've started flying in early May 2007, I have flown with 110lb and 150lb Protec and 80lb Shanti.

The Protec seems to wear relatively quickly. The 110lb lines have tended to get more use and I can see that the strands in the braid are starting to go.

The 150lb line Protec are in better condition, but only because they are newer and get less use.

My 80lb Shanti appears to be an older style of Shanti with a coloured filament in the braid. Unfortunately the coloured filament stands proud of the line on one side and binds like mad once you get a couple of twists in the line. It does appear to be incredibly hard wearing though (I actually want them to wear quickly so I can justify replacing them, but no joy :(). Whether this is an intrinsic quality of the line or just reflects the fact that these are my light wind lines I'm not sure.

I'm about to order some FA Shanti, so I can make my own rather subjective judgement about whether it's worth the price premium over Protec.

Time will tell. :?

kitegem

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:22 am

That sounds like Sport line which was made by Laser Pro.

Sport line had a poly tracer to allow tying without sleeving, not that you can't just do that with full Spectra or Dyneema.. it was an economy line being quite inexpensive compared to LPC or LPG.

Shanti may have had something similar on the market at one time.

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:19 am

Being an insensitive clod,I can't tell the difference between my unbranded dyneema,my Pro-Tec or Stork Margarine.....except the Pro-Tec is orange.

The Climax have been flown more than the Plain white stuff and they both bind now easier than when new,but neither has broken.... yet;which means that typically,all lines wear better than Lower spreaders,leading edge ferrules and stand-offs.

I did hear that the very best kiters are so at one with their kites that they fly with any old string as they control the kite with something more akin to tele-kinesis.

tpatters

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:19 am

I prefer LPG, but think that Shanti is more slippery.

LPG just seems stiffer to me - less stretch.

The again, once I have the kite in the air, I am sure I would be hard-pressed to tell any difference.

Odd to hear concerns about LPG to me. I've been flying the same 90# LPG lineset every other day for a year now with no breaks and it still looks decent.

austro_astra

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Tried others, but keep coming back to Shanti.
He who dies with the most wins!

A few piccies.

Miles F

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:24 pm

I love the LPGs fresh from the packet but concur with the fact that they wear and break easily, the Protecs I have a lot of and with care they seem pretty good. Shanti lines always seem a bit thick for the line weight to me but do fly and wear well but I don't have enough airtime on them to say for sure yet.
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.