Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

scots_flyer
Topic Author

Help with Jacob's Lader please

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Right then, not convinced I'm doing this quite right but it looks fairly good on one side. I seem to have a consistent problem on the other side (hand) with this - can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? My 'good side' is as follows;

Pop axel with left - pull with both into fade - roll kite over with left - backspin with right - no problem. If I try all of that starting with right hand, it goes ok until I get to the backspin bit. Consistently ending up with one line under and one over! Just can't seem to initiate a backspin with the left hand :0(

Help!

P.S. This is on an 'up to date' Gemini

ObijuanKenobe

Re: Help with Jacob's Lader please

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:30 pm

scots_flyer wrote:
Pop axel with left - pull with both into fade - roll kite over with left - backspin with right - no problem.

Hmmm...axel...start at fade...half backspin (roll the kite over)...half LAZY...pull to fade, etc.

So by your text, I think you are having trouble with the off hand LAZY, yeah? Or not?

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

scots_flyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:46 pm

My problem is that I can't get the kite to spin on it's back with the left hand - don't know if it's position of kite/timing or what I actually do with left hand!

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Sounds like you need to practice off-hand backspins.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:16 pm

More off-hand slack...

...be concsious of pushing your right hand forward (not out sideways) as you initiate the spin with the left.

Bryan

StuartB

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:27 pm

I have the same problem with left hand backspins. I think that in addition to the specific advice already given it's just a matter of practice. The bonus is that you get backspin cascades for not a great deal of additional effort (at least with the kites I have flown).

Sub

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:23 am

I get the same with the offhand.
You could try practicing half lazies higher up in the window, so you become conscious not to yank the thing down and around, but lightly popped.

jaydub

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:05 am

Also check your feet position. If you lead with the same foot both ways, your body will be more twisted in the one direction and you'll end up with not enough slack.

Whilst I haven't had the same problem with the half lazy in the JL, I have this problem with the rolling susan, which I can only do left to right atm.

R-L I get too much slack and I'm convinced it's because I've been leading with the same foot both ways.

Just need some more wind to prove the theory. :?
Last edited by jaydub on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuartB

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:11 pm

jaydub wrote:
Also check your feet position.

That sounds like a good idea - (which is probably why) I didn't think of that.

scots_flyer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:26 pm

fantastic! - thanks to all for your tips. I don't think I have been pushing with the right hand at all actually! Will try these suggestions next session :0)