Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Sub
Topic Author

Cosmic nOOb issues

Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:27 pm

If this has been discussed already, please show me where because the search didn't return any related topics.

So I'm used to flying a Nirvana, and can just about do things like flic-flacs and JL's now. I've flown the new Cosmic a couple of times now and out the bag, no adjustments, it's doing most of everything I know very well and then some, except for a couple of moves which I assume I need to approach differently.

I'd be grateful for some tips if you can spare a moment, thanks.

Pancake - I can launch from a pancake to fade 100% every time but it won't do it in the air. ala-flic-flac With the Nirvana I'm finding it relatively easy, but with the Cosmic it won't come out of the pancake.

The next one makes me want to add some trick line around the back because it refuses to flip round every time from a turtle. Example: snap lazy, then half way round the Susan with the nose pointing at you, lines down under round the back, pull and with the Nirvana every time it flips around and catch it into a fade. Grr... cosmic won't have it, it'll get half way round the flip and then stop, or not at all.

Thanks

Infinitive

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:03 pm

Practice.

The Cosmic is a kite of some considerable compromise, but after you've put in the hours it will reward. It responds badly to over-generous slack, try flic-flacing it until you can do that well and many other tricks will fall into place - just be stingy with the slack (on flare manouvers), and pay attention to "catching" it as it goes out to flare and things will get peachy.

Practice.

The reason you can't get it into a fade from a half-susan is possibly you have the nose too high.... the solution is to give a more "staccato" input to the susan rotation, just a quick "pop-n-slack" and let it rotate, then pulling to the fade is smooth. The Nirvana is so forgiving in this manouver that it can seem difficult on other kites.

Practice!

Merry merry merry chrimbo mmmmmmmm hope I get a fly tomorrow.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Sub
Topic Author

Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:12 pm

Thanks for the tips. I can relate to the "catching" it as it goes out to flare, so will give that attention.
"staccato" input to the susan rotation, that makes sense to me, and I figured the pulling to fade is smooth.

Tomorrow it is!! thank you

lasapcheong

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:06 am

On the subject of the Cosmic TC STD's flare issues, does anybody know of any good mods (e.g. bridle settings) that allow the kite to flic flac a touch easier? I flew one briefly and you can tell that is a pretty bad dead spot in the flare. I"m sure you can tune it back with some bridle and weighting mods so tips appreciated.

How much weight comes stock with the STD? Or the recommended value if any?

Thanks
Darryl

Infinitive

Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:19 am

I doubt there is anything you can do to the bridle that won't deteriorate the kite's other qualities. I trust that Kitehouse have tested it to death and that their factory bridle configuration is as good as the kite can be. After all, the deadspot really isn't that much of a problem, flicflacs are possible, they can even be made to look rather neat once the foible is understood and catered for.

I think the weight is 15g.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Sub
Topic Author

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Sussed the half-susan to fade today yipeee!!! awesome weather all week, lots more practice :D

flicflac next...

Speaking of the bridle Al, what did you do with the lower outhaul knot?

Infinitive

Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Nice one!

As mentioned I undid it - it is a small but noticable snag point - why cover the LE fittings then leave a massive knot there to be snagged on? OK it won't ruin tricks, but it makes ground recoveries more difficult (it catches when jolting the line to get it over the wing after a snag). If you undo it you need to move the variable larksheaded point two knots shorter to retain factory settings (the shortest knot). Alternatively just undo it all and (measuring beforehand) make sure the leg is the same before and after.

Sub
Topic Author

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Is it ok to allow the flicflac flare to over rotate? Tried it like that today and it was no problem at all coming back out into the fade.

I still need to practice with keeping the slack for a "standard" flared flicflac, wasn't able to do it consistently. Maybe a couple times all afternoon, and those were fluke.

But it does nice 540's though, and I've found those quite difficult on other kites.

Still more good weather for practicing ... :cool: