Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Infinitive
Topic Author

Twin spined kites

Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:45 pm

We all know the story of Andy flying an early prototype dual spine kite and saying it had a "feeling" of something he was looking for - and that eventually this kite was developed and released as the Gemini. And that it was and still is a great kite. But why wasn't there any further development on the two-spine kite? I know there are a couple others out there, but also that they are pretty pants.

Considering that Benson's offering after the Gem is more conventional (but better at tricks), does this suggest that the Gemini could have been a single spined kite, and that it is just it was designed by two skilled people that it turned out to fly well? Has there been any serious attempt to make a single spined kite which is as close to gemini shaped as possible? Or a dual spined DS?

It interests me that a kite which made as much impact as the Gem has been abandoned as a design.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 pm

No one wants to do one because it would be labeled as a Gemini rip-off! ;)

Mark

ITBVolks

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:18 pm

And therein lies the greatest question....

What will Benson bring us next???

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:28 pm

ITBVolks wrote:
And therein lies the greatest question....

What will Benson bring us next???

Dunno,but I have heard a rumour their next kite is called the "Invertebrate".

p.s. they can't bring us a "next" kite;that's been done.

Miles F

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:34 pm

I think it may have been that the twin spine design was the solution to a stable fade which of course was the gateway to all the tricks that this era of kite design ushered in.

The Gem's twin spines helped produce a stable fade without the addition of tail weights (used on a few French kites) which had yet to gain mainstream acceptance back then. Later of course the combination of a deep sail, tail weights and a fairly stock turbo bridle was found to work just as well.

There were of course other solutions, the S7 with its curved sail shape and the Mullins Kites Area 51 and S4 with their "cat's cradle bridles". I guess the deep sail plus weights combo came to the fore becuase it was simple and didn't comprimise too much else.

I also suspect that other makers have shied away from twin spine designs as they require more effort and material to make too, not to mention skill.

Anyhow just be glad that dual line development is so progressive and litigation free :cool:
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.