Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

robio
Topic Author

HQ Bolero

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi,

New to stunt kite flying and got myself an entry level HQ Bolero. Enjoying flying it but struggling to get many tricks out of it.

Is the Bolero able to perform a range of tricks or should I be looking at more expensive kites.... or is it just me? :cool:

Cheers,
Rob

Zippy8

Re: HQ Bolero

Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:24 pm

robio wrote:
Is the Bolero able to perform a range of tricks or should I be looking at more expensive kites.... or is it just me? :cool:

It depends. Where on the Trick Tree are you ?

I'm not familiar with the Bolero but even HQ seem to have low expectations for it ("easy handling and gentle flying characteristics") whilst claiming that it's "the perfect kite to learn all the basic tricks." Just going on the spec. and HQ's previous form (they know how to make an intro. kite) I'd say you have a suitable kite to begin with.

I suspect that it should be able to get you onto the lower branches once you understand what you need to do but once there you'll be wanting/needing something a bit more exotic.

If you haven't already, take a look at the tutorials herefor the basic stuff.

Mike.

robio
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Great stuff Mike thanks. I am at a basic level so think I should be ok for a bit and then move onto something better later.

Fantastic website that cheers. :o

Zippy8

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:33 am

robio wrote:
I am at a basic level so think I should be ok for a bit and then move onto something better later.

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

It's up to you of course but once you've got a firm grip on Half-Axel, Axel, Turtle, Pancake, Fade and the all important Ground Avoidance then you can probably do justice to something from our resident Kite Pushers.

Mike.

SteveC

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi All,
I've been a convert to the kiting 'habit' since February, and as a beginner I've also gone along the HQ route working on the principle that they are good enough to learn the basics, but cheap enough to wreck in the inevitable crashes!

I too have a Bolero, it's great for basic turns, geometrics and having fun zapping around and learning how to control a kite, but it doesn't trick.

I've recently bought a HQ 'Jive', which does trick, well at least enough for me at present - axels, fades, pancakes, lazy susans - but still a bit hit & miss but getting there slowly.

Hope to be getting a Premier Addiction soon, as I've heard they are very good for the money and may look at something decent next year once I've stopped lawn darting quite so much!! 8)

dubster

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 am

Welcome to FA robio and SteveC.
Sounds like you're both enjoying kiting regardless of budget, and looking to progress your skills.

It's not all bout the kite, I have a Gemini and I still suck :D
Just get out there and Fly (to paraphrase a bike mag :wink:)
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Fizz Box of Tricks std (1997)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)

stuartF

Re: HQ Bolero

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 pm

Compared to Mike / Zippy8 I'm also a newcomer, but I would recommend that it's better to think about you local wind conditions, and buy a kite to match that. What you don't need is a ultralight kite where it's always blowing a gale, or a vented kite where there's never any wind.
There's nothing more frustrating that sitting and waiting for more / less wind so that your kite works ( especially when the other guys are swooping about happily)
the lunatic is on the grass

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 pm

SteveC wrote:

I've recently bought a HQ 'Jive', which does trick, well at least enough for me at present - axels, fades, pancakes, lazy susans - but still a bit hit & miss but getting there slowly.

Hope to be getting a Premier Addiction soon, as I've heard they are very good for the money and may look at something decent next year once I've stopped lawn darting quite so much!! 8)

Hi Robio and SteveC.

The Addiction is a good kite but doubt it'll take you any further on than the Jive, save up a get a better kite, and as ever try to meet up with some decent flyers and try their kites, most are only too happy to let you have a go..........