Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

JamieS
Topic Author

New Member & Question

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi All,

I'm relativley new to kites. I bought a Prism Nexus a few months ago to learn the basics (turns, spins, landings, lawn darting, etc) and have reciently bought a Hypnotist to try and learn tricks (I got a Zephyr for fathers day, not sure where they got that idea - it's still in its case until I can do at least one trick!).

Anyway, my question (well two)..
I can maintain a stall quite well, but nearly every time I try and Axel I get a wing tip wrap - any ideas what could be causing this? Also I've been trying backflips - I can get into the backflip ok, but can't hold it at all - Any tips?

Forgot to add - I'm based near Bath (just out side of Bristol) and would love to meet up with anyone near by(ish - willing to travel). It's a tad slow learning on your own.

Thanks!

Jamie

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: New Member & Question

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:47 pm

JamieS wrote:
Hi All,

Anyway, my question (well two)..
I can maintain a stall quite well, but nearly every time I try and Axel I get a wing tip wrap - any ideas what could be causing this?

You're prolly not giving enough slack with the passive hand.
JamieS wrote:
Also I've been trying backflips - I can get into the backflip ok, but can't hold it at all - Any tips?

Slack again ... with both hands this time. You could take a step towards
the kite to give more slack.

From the turtle (backflip) pull one line (gently does it) while giving slack
with the other - and you'll have yourself a lazy susan.

-Frazer

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:49 pm

what Frazer said, and hello, welcome to the forum etc. :)
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

ObijuanKenobe

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:50 pm

You are most likely not giving enough (or any ;) ) slack to the kite after starting the axel.

For the axel, the line that gets the tip wrap is asking for slack. :) It needs it to clear the wing successfully.

The backflip or turtle position is hard to hold on a Nexus (I guess) without walking forward slowly. Even then, it's probably not this kite's favorite position.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:59 pm

Move your feet not just your arms to give slack. You can fine tune this later, but for now, especially in the wind we've had recently, MOVE!

Bugly

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:21 pm

prism kites that I have flown apart from the Qpro like giving tip wraps they seem to require more slack than most more modern kites. Cant be sure about the Nexus but it sounds typical for a prism. (Do I give the impression I dislike prisms?

adicakes
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:59 am

The QPro can hardly be considered a Prism design, now can it? ;-)

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: New Member & Question

Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:01 am

JamieS wrote:
Hi All,

I can maintain a stall quite well, but nearly every time I try and Axel I get a wing tip wrap - any ideas what could be causing this?

When starting out, it is easier to do axels if you start with the kite not pointing straight up. In other words, stall the kite with one wingtip slightly higher than the other.

If you imagine your kite's nose points to a number on the clock, it usually points to 12 o'clock when stalled. To practice axels, stall the kite with the nose pointing to 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock. Now you will have one wing tip higher than the other. Pop the higher wingtip.

This gives the higher wingtip the space to rotate around without crossing the path of the opposite flying line.

You might find it easier to achieve this at the edge of the wind. Try flying out to one side, and as the kite loses pull turn the kite upwards. Keep the turn going until the nose of the kite has passed the 12 o'clock position, then pop on the line nearest the edge of the wind

And importantly, like the other guys say, make sure you give it slack while the kite is rotating
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

Tregolwyn

Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Welcome Jamie.

There are a few FA regulars in the Bath/Bristol area, perhaps they will let you know where they are flying. The playing fields next to the racecourse are a good venue and we have held a few Better Flying Days there in the past. Keep and eye on the forum as I expect there will be more (but probably after the summer). Given you are so close, don't miss Bristol Kite Festival.

Paul

dubster

Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Welcome to FA Jamie, sure you'll pick up lots from this place & it's inhabitants :)
I won't offer advice as I'm quite a noob, just have fun & fly as often as poss!
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Fizz Box of Tricks std (1997)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)

JamieS
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks for the Help guys. I should get out tomorrow and give it a go!