Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Miles F
Topic Author

Wap doo wap

Wed May 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Trying to get the hang of this on the DS at the mo but despite hurling arms forward after the pull from the fade, and sprinting off after the kite, I can never get the roll up to continue round one revolution and back to nose in for the last input. I'm guessing that there must be somthing amiss with the initial pull out of the fade. :?

Any top tips?
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 21, 2008 4:21 pm

I think the secret is in the pop from the fade. From the fade I try and give a little to let the nose rise a bit then the pop is quite fierce but also progressive, starts as a pull flowing into a flick. (imagine you're brushing crumbs away from you with the back of your hand to see what I mean, starts off slowly and gets quicker) This gets it wrapping up quicker, then it has to go slightly beyond flat before you pop for the rotation. If you can see any of the back of the sail you'll be lucky to get away with it.

Sorry for the freaky analogy.
Jason.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Wed May 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Hey Miles. You're not trying this in too fast a wind are you? I find light wind Waps to be quite easy to wrap round (on the DS).

@Jason - I like that analogy :D

Mark

datenland
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Might be that the slack for the rolling up is not coming fast enough. You already have to be on the run when you pop the kite from the fade. I'm doing it with the big Transfer, very probably the DS doesn't need that much room...
The higher the nose sits before the the pop the more momentum you can get into the kite resulting in a tighter and faster rollup.
I find it difficult to get that trick really consistent because the amount of slack has to be quite exact. The leading edges best touch the lines for the rotation pull. So not enough slack means that the nose does't get deep enough and the kite gets simply rolled out again with the rotation pull. Too much slack means that the rotation pull doesn't reach the kite.
To get a better feeling for the rollup try over-rotated Flicflacs or simply rolling the kite up completely resulting in a downward yoyo and fly of with a sharp turn.

-Erik
You can make your neighbours think that you have fluorescent lights in all the rooms in your house by quickly turning the lights on and off several times before leaving them on.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 21, 2008 9:49 pm

That's a good response Erik.

It's an old trick for me and harder on the Talon that it was on the Trident or DS.

Nicely put.

I guess it's similar to learning how to do a Ladole. At first it seems like you have to run a mile in 1second flat, but in the right wind you can wrap it a few times before "Wapping it".

Mark

Miles F
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks guys, Jason the analogy paints a good picture (thougth not olive green) TVM for that :lol: . I think the nose was too flat in the fade every time I went for the roll up move judging by the advice here.

I will scrutinise Trick or Treat again tonight and "check out his hands" to quote from Tricky Flickery.

Today's efforts at Wap doo wap were really more Wap dont work!

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 21, 2008 10:38 pm

I think the same can be said for yoyos. If you dip the nose down really far before hitting the roll-up move it's considerably easier to achieve a full wrap.

This is something that's kind of important if you're flying in strong winds and really need that yoyo.

In this case the high nose on the fade adds to the momentum, definitely.

Mark

Miles F
Topic Author

Thu May 22, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks Mark that also helps me with the as yet still elusive Yoyo. I've had a few work now but nothing consistent, getting a nice deep "nod" fwd isn't happening and the situation worsens as the wind increases. Any tips for getting the nose to "nod" fwd?

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 22, 2008 10:55 am

Miles F wrote:
Any tips for getting the nose to "nod" fwd?

ABW said to me once to imagine that your lines are connected directly to the nose of the kite, give a bit of slack to let the nose back and then pop gently to get the "nod".

Same technique for reverse rolling up (or crazy copters) except you have to pop really hard to get it to "nod" past nose-towards-you to rollup.
Jason.