Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Thomas*
Topic Author

Can't crack the Taz Machine

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:00 pm

I having trouble with the taz machine: From a horisontal flight I give a sharp tug on the upper wing, like the start of a half axel or cascade, and then when the kite is flat on the belly nose away and/or nose partly up, a sharp tug on the other wing. But no cigar :(

All I get is and axel like movement (360 dg) or in the best case a little more rotation like nose towards me.

If I pull to sharp/to much at the second input the kite goes onto its back/fade position.

I have watched RandyG video closely, but apparently I miss something (he doesn't show hand movements in this one). I normally fly a Quantum Pro...

I guess the move reminds a bit of the 540, which gives me no trouble :o

Your advice is needed, thanks
Thomas

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:42 pm

Its a while since I learned them but ISTR the key for me was <i>not</i> treating it like a 540. Dont try to do it with the kite flat, pop the top wing and give lots of slack letting the kite go well past flat with the nose quite a long way up before the tug to start the spin.

datenland
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:59 pm

give lots of slack letting the kite go well past flat with the nose quite a long way up before the tug to start the spin.

This was exactly my way to success. There are kites who can do it the quick way like Nirvana, CTC or NRG but also with those the Taz is more under control when there is a short moment of "rest", nose straight away and slightly up, before the turn pull is initiated. For me it was easier to think of the first pull not as a Half-Axel but rather as a kind of turning the kite away as if to initiate a fly away or a flown, not yanked Axel-To-Fade. It might be helpful to think about Tazmachines as a really hovering kind of movement which the kite is doing all by itself after the pull is given. With a bit of luck and some running the kite stays in it's groove and cycles smoothly further downwards in a Helicopter-like movement.
Last thing, when you do the turn-pull for the Tazmachine you already have to be on the move forward to keep the lines clear from the wingtips.

Erik
You can make your neighbours think that you have fluorescent lights in all the rooms in your house by quickly turning the lights on and off several times before leaving them on.

Nils

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:07 pm

A good tip Lars once gave me, is starting the half axel with the nose pointing at 8 'o clock.
This way the kite will be flared unevenly, and will be positioned better for that 540-esque pop.

randyg

Re: Can't crack the Taz Machine

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:41 am

Thomas* wrote:
...he doesn't show hand movements in this one...

Would you believe...
I had to fire my usual pilot.
I had a bad hair day.
There was a pilot's strike.
I left my R-Sky T-shirt at home.
I really did break the camera and those scenes were to be shot last. :oops:

If you own a UL or SUL (Nirvana LW or WW would do nicely) try it with one of them out near the edge of the window.

Last thing, when you do the turn-pull for the Tazmachine you already have to be on the move forward to keep the lines clear from the wingtips.

+1
Randy
My Blog

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:52 am

It's quite kite specific. I find I have more success flying downwards slightly or doing a slight downturn just before the first pop. I try to make the first pop more of a pull. I found I was getting more Taz machines and better ones once I had sussed out the rolling cascade type pop.
Jason.

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:58 am

I would second Nils' insertion. It seems also the same advice you are getting from Jason. You need to make the half axel start from a slightly down angle...i.e. put the nose angle slightly down before the first input, so that the kite is better set up for the rotation.

I get into streaks of taz machines...and then into streaks of tip wraps. Very sensitive and unforgiving trick that looks amazing when done right. Good luck.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Thomas*
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks everyone for all the nice input!

I can almost do it know in my minds eye :cool:

Heaps of good information and lots of things I haven't paid attention to! :oops:

@RandyG
Sorry about the camera & thanks for all the good tutorials; thought I would never be able to do the Comete, but now it's almost there :P

711jrp

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:57 am

All good advice so far, I agree with Nils and Jason especially. I would like to add experiment with the nose angel allot as some kites will taz easier with the nose pointing further up say 10 or 11 o'clock, even more so if you are doing them from a near stall.

Another tip is to remove the outer standoff or push it along the spreader so it has little affect on the sail which makes the Taz much easier on wide standoff kites like the Seadevil it becomes silly easy. Fly the kite this way for a couple of hours to get a feel for the trick, when you put them back in you'll find you can do the trick.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

ObijuanKenobe

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:20 am

711jrp wrote:
Another tip is to remove the outer standoff or push it along the spreader so it has little affect on the sail which makes the Taz much easier on wide standoff kites like the Seadevil it becomes silly easy. Fly the kite this way for a couple of hours to get a feel for the trick, when you put them back in you'll find you can do the trick.

:cool: Thanks for this tip. Will try it this weekend first thing.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Thomas*
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:46 pm

711jrp wrote:
All good advice so far, I agree with Nils and Jason especially. I would like to add experiment with the nose angel allot as some kites will taz easier with the nose pointing further up say 10 or 11 o'clock, even more so if you are doing them from a near stall.

Thanks, Pete!

Didn't see your post before my morning flight :-(

Will try it later on; it helps a lot in backspins and for rising cascades to!

Didn't nail the Taz today, too bad, but wind around 12 mph probably didn't help either... :lol:

Thanks

mama74

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:12 pm

Hello,

I´ve been out practicing the taz today, and here is the result:

http://www.drageportal.dk/video/video.asp?VideoID=857

I have a hard time expaining how i do it, so i shot a video instead.

Hope it will be useful....

Martin

Thomas*
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2008 7:58 am

Thanks everyone. Now it's there in low winds on the Qpro. It's a hard trick on this kite, much much easier on a Nirvana. :P

The Nirvana wil "find it's groove" in the spin part quite easy, while the Qpro is very sensitive, and needs a slow input with nose quite high and then tons of slack for a loooong time to get her around...
Last edited by Thomas* on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

HiFly

Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:11 pm

---
Last edited by HiFly on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mama74

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:53 pm

@Mike
Thanks! I have been trying to learn the taz cascade, but im only getting two taz machines. I guess it takes three to a cascade...

I shot some more videos. Most of them uploaded to drageportal.dk:
http://www.drageportal.dk/video/Video.asp?KatID=43

And I've made a profile on youtube as well:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DPmama74

Martin