Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Yan
Topic Author

Moving from HQ Jive to Fury.85

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:53 am

Hello,
last year I bought my self an HQ Jive, I flew it alot and can now flick flack in both dirctions (I think that one is a french Flick Flack?) Half axel,axel,yo-yo, pull into a fade from from axels and half axels, flap jack, with some consistancy with this kite.

For Christmas I got a Fury.85 and I am finding it much harder to make it do flick flack style movements and the other tricks are much less consistant apart from half axels.

Is there an obvious reason for this? Any advice would be gratfully recieved as it is getting difficult to explain to the wife why my expensive and treasured Christmas present won't perform!

Yan

Zippy8

Re: Moving from HQ Jive to Fury.85

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:04 am

Yan wrote:
I am finding it much harder to make it do flick flack style movements ... Is there an obvious reason for this?

Yeah, you're rubbish :P

Or alternatively the F.85 needs a slightly different technique for Flic Flacs - rather than popping the kite back and forth you roll it from one position to the other. Instead of stabbing at the kite try a more considered pull through.

The Fury (and .85) does have some quirks that some folk just don't get on with. Flic Flacs did my head in initially.

Mike.

Infinitive

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:08 am

You are probably so used to the Jive that you're having trouble "unlearning" the movements which you know make a Jive do tricks - but which don't make a .85 do tricks. It can be really difficult, but when you are next out flying spend a moment clearing your mind and feel that you are starting anew - and when inputs don't work, abandon them and try a different technique, rather than the same techniques but harder. Play with all the variables - timing of input, strength of input, attitude of kite, speed of movement before trick (turtle -> lazy comes to mind), speed of slack giving, timing of slack giving. The .85 is a bigger kite, so you are going to need to give more slack than on the Jive.

Of the tricks you mentioned the only one which is a pain on the .85 is the fractured axel (axel-> fade), for some reason the .85 is very fussy about this manouver. If you are finding flick-flacks particulary hard, try giving a tiny pop before the initial pancake so the kite flattens out more readily.

Keep trying, it'll come. 8)
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Miles F

Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm just beginning to gel with .85 technique having struggled for a long time, the info Zippy and Al gave is spot on. The way I'm currently trying to put that into practise is as follows:

Flic Flacs: large sweeping movement for the pancake, keep going till the nose is about 30 degrees up and the spine is clearly visible before sweeping arms back to the fade. Make sure there's a little slack in the line as the kite hits the fade or it will bounce off the lines and recover (step forward after sweep back helps). Make the inputs very even.

Axle to Fade: as soon as the nose is pointing away pull with both hands evenly to get the Fade, once again if the nose bobs down be ready to take a step forward.

These are my fairly coarse and unrefined techniques at the minute but they do seem to work. Once I've got the hang of the timing and strength of the inputs I'll work on the finesse.

Good luck and enjoy
Last edited by Miles F on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

Tony S

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:26 pm

For half axels there is another method - don't wait for the nose to point completely away from you, but pop for the axel, then pop one handed much earlier than you normally would - before the nose has rotated much more than 45 degrees away from you. You might have to do some tending to catch the fade squarely, but you do get a perfect wonky fade to start backspinning from ....

Tony

Yan
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks for the replies folks, lots of good advise to try, sounds like I need to relax and try smoother, larger inputs.

I am hoping to get to the better flying day on 26 April, hopefully if I haven't cracked it by then I will be able to persuade somebody to show me.

Once again, thanks for the input, I was getting a bit desperate!

Yan

Yan
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:26 pm

Just wanted to say, went out today having read through again the advise above and had a much better (although short - it got too windy) session, managed to flick flack and pull kite into fade from half axel with a reasonable amount of consistancy. \:D/

Yan

kevspilly

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Hmmm..... Bury St Edmunds

On the door step for Rougham!
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Yan
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:02 pm

Yep, don't get there much at all tho' - have to work weekends...

kitewine

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi Yan,

I'm looking for a kite in the same price bracket as the Jive and I'm curious to find out your opinion of it.

All in all is it a good kite - Would you recommend it?
What is the build quality like?
Does it require much of a breeze to fly?

Cheers

Yan
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi,
All in all I liked it, it flys in a fairly light wind and will do some tricks.
I thought the build quality was OK.
I bought it because I wanted somthing that I could hammer into the ground and repair cheaply, it took a lot of hammering from me and is still in a good state.
Hope this is helpfull,

Yan

kitewine

Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks for the reply.
It is the light wind aspect that appeals to me.
It is a toss up between the Jive or a second hand higher quality model.

kfw

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Go second hand higher quality, it will fly better and may last longer.