Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:56 pm

There are other collaborative mindmap tools. Don't get hung up on one until you've checked there isn't a better one.

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:59 pm

ok - anybody want to be a collaborator guinea pig?

It wants email addresses so I can invite people - pm me an email address (and I promise to delete the pm once the invite is sent) if you want to play with it
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Andy S wrote:
There are other collaborative mindmap tools. Don't get hung up on one until you've checked there isn't a better one.

This one looks good too: http://bubbl.us/

Shall we have a online mind mapping application beauty contest?

EDIT: I think bubbl.us is cheating in the beauty comp by having adverts for Thai brides, so I think it should be disqualified!
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

dubster

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Personally I prefer the look of Keith's Mind42 version.
Seems it'll do what Mark originally intended, with a more interactive & collaborative outcome.
Excellent work Keith :D
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Fizz Box of Tricks std (1997)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)

Infinitive

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:14 pm

I like the Mind Meister one - can little (minimisable) paragraphs be added to the tricks to describe them?
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Infinitive

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Actually I'm signed up now Keith, can I edit it?

(here we go again...)
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Sub

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:29 pm

I like the idea of mindmapping but I wonder whether we need to have the map itself interactive?

Here's my thoughts. Mark's idea for linking to external resources is the key to the future success and popularity of this as a community resource. The mindmap becomes a static index, a visual reference to a database of relevant links. The links database is updated by anyone who has an account.

When a new trick is discovered, it's reported to the admin of the project who has the mindmap index updated and adds a new field in the database.

If a links database is not used, I cannot see how the mindmap alone can be of much use apart from being a good visual aid in a personal quest to learn new tricks. Add the resource database around the index, and you have an active and practical resource for the entire community.

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Infinitive/Al - I need an email address for the invites for both systems - pm me one if you want to fiddle about.

My initial impression is the Mindmeister one gives good flexibility of positioning of the branches of the map/tree thing, but I can't work out how to put a web ink into a node (I am studying the help on this), and while the basic account is free, for the first 30 days (I think) you get the features of a premium account for a free trial, and I'm not sure how much functionality will be left once the trial period expires.

The Mind42 one seems easier to use, but has less control over the actual layout of the nodes in the tree/map.

Regarding links etc - if they can be embedded in the map, then they could lead to the trick wiki pages where a full set of links could be maintained...
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:54 pm

I've been doing more fiddling with the two tools:

Mind 42 and Mindmeister

and I now much prefer Mindmeister, as it gives more control and I find it easier to use. I also prefer the look of the map it creates.

Both tools have similar limitations - you can only seem to have one weblink per node, and only a small amount of descriptive text per node. I can't seem to find a way of making a disconnected node to put a key or title in.

The numbers on the diagrams are the "Tricks Party" groups, and the weblinks are all to Roy Reeds trick animations - I did this just to explore the tools, but it could be useful as a TP map reference thing with more work.

To try and avoid too much duplication, I coloured tricks that occur in the diagram more than once, and made one the 'master' trick, which then leads to the related tricks. The other occurences of that trick have "..." after their names to indicate there is a master entry elsewhere.

There are way more tricks in the diagrams than I really know, so some may be in the 'wrong' place, and there are a whole bunch missing.
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Sub

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:56 am

That looks amazing Keith, nice job :thumbsup:
misterbleepy wrote:
I now much prefer Mindmeister, as it gives more control and I find it easier to use. I also prefer the look of the map it creates.

..it also seems to be the most compatible across different browsers.
you can only seem to have one weblink per node

..link to a Wiki which has categorised sections where anybody can add links and related information about the trick group, and tricks themselves.
To try and avoid too much duplication, I coloured tricks that occur in the diagram more than once, and made one the 'master' trick, which then leads to the related tricks. The other occurences of that trick have "..." after their names to indicate there is a master entry elsewhere.

I'm not sure what anybody else thinks about this but I consider if there's going to be a graphical index it should be completely graphical, nothing left to the imagination, else we're just presenting linear data in a pretty way. MindMeister does appear to do a fair job but it's not comprehensive enough. What about free opensource software FreeMind.
Heres a review of the software. If this does a better job in presenting the information I'm willing to help get the results deployed on a server from a technical point of view.

portley777

Mindmeister and trick tree

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:08 am

Top work guys! This is very informative, but I won't be foraging through those top branches for some time! I like those little links (Keith) to websites and tutes etc. BTW, I find some of those computer animated kite tutes a little confusing because of the left/right brained illusion of (which is) the front and back while in rotation of the kite~if you know what I'm saying: http://mindbluff.com/clockwise.htm. Could be just me though :( Keep up the splendid work. Looking forward to some more updates. :)

Cheers,
Mike

Andy S
King of FA

Re: Mindmeister and trick tree

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:21 am

portley777 wrote:
Could be just me though :(

Not at all. I get it in real life in some lights.

jaydub

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:18 am

misterbleepy wrote:
I've been doing more fiddling with the two tools:

Mind 42 and Mindmeister

and I now much prefer Mindmeister, as it gives more control and I find it easier to use. I also prefer the look of the map it creates.

Nice work, Keith. I can't get through to the mind42 link, but the mindmeister one looks good.

I liked Mark's idea of referencing which DVD's you could learn the tricks from and it would be useful if you could include these if you develop it further. The animations are useful, but don't show you what you need to be doing with your hands to make it happen.

Tregolwyn

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:12 pm

jaydub wrote:
I can't get through to the mind42 link, but the mindmeister one looks good.

Can't access that site either but Mind Meister looks like what we need. I use Mind Maps a lot at work so thanks for pointing me to a web based version. I can now make them look a lot neater. :-D

Nice work Keith.

Paul