Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Sub
Topic Author

Axel to Fade ~ Tips please

Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Been working my axel to fade but am finding my technique is probably making them unpredictable.
Is it best to bring it in "hot", like a spin axel to follow though in the momentum? I seem to find there's a natural flow when aproaching like this.
If I snap stall, set the axel up, then the input for the fade doesn't always follow through with predictable results.
Curious to know what your tried and tested way is.

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:05 pm

I learned via a tip from Lars.

I started learning by first flying a large high circle from center to side, on the turn down and back into center, turn sharp to spin (keep the momentum as you describe), and then axel pop, and pull to fade. However, once I got the hang of this, the axel to fade from a stall also started to just happen.

I think one key to the axel to fade is making sure to give enough slack so that the kite pauses just a bit nose-away. Then you can catch the kite with both lines in this position to pull to fade.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Bodyflight

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:52 pm

I've just written this then read Obi's post above. So this is just elaborating on what he said, really.

Fly downward and do a pancake to fade a few times to get a feeling for it.
Then try popping a few normal axels gently from the nose up position. Rather than letting the axel complete, watch for the point when the nose is dead away from you (the same as the pancake) and at that point walk forward to keep the kite floating balanced in that position, kinda gliding vaguely downwind. Notice that at any point now you can pop the lines to flip the kite into a fade, just like you did above.

Do this trial run a few times, then pop into the fade quicker than before, just as soon as the kite starts to 'float' in the nose away position.
After a bit of practice, the flare/pancake bit becomes pretty instinctive and hardly noticeable. And voila! You're doing an axel to fade!

After mastering it, the pop on both lines from pancake to fade smoothes out into what feels more like a pop on one line part way through the axel, but the feeling and movements are really the same. Give it a go.

axelant

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:20 pm

I find it easier set up with a stall, but the thing I found hard was the timing - the pop to fade is very early, almost immediately after the axel input. Don't wait for the kite to face away or it will be too late.
David

si quid valet facere, valet male facere

MikeLos

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 am

it's the matter of slack management and fade input technic.

in case that you didn't describe what's wrong it's hard to give a cure.

but in most cases you give too much slack for axel and it's ware hard to take it back and make input for fade in time you have to do it, so first focus on slack and try to give it as small as possible. guide the kite in the axel and make it as slow as posible.

second problem - you pop kite from pancake position to fade rather then pull it. you must do it gentle and guide in the motion. lay kite down to the ground in pancake and then try to made a fade as slow as possible. this will give you correct input for this motion.

but give description of your problem
prokite.ru

The only russian site about stunt kites

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:45 am

MikeLos wrote:

second problem - you pop kite from pancake position to fade rather then pull it. you must do it gentle and guide in the motion. lay kite down to the ground in pancake and then try to made a fade as slow as possible. this will give you correct input for this motion.

I think this is GOOD advice.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Everett

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:42 pm

MikeLos

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Everett wrote:
Take a look here

it's too... theoretical
prokite.ru

Sub
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:37 pm

Thank you Obi and Mike for your posts, they were very helpful.
Obi ~ I tried the method you were shown from Lars, this is what I came up with. Not sure whether its the same thing mind :lol:
Mike ~ I understand what you mean about popping into the fade as the correct input. I do it when I make this take-off, is this the fade launch?

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:43 am

Wow - what a great place you have to fly !

I have to put up with a fire ant infested scabby field behind a church.

Keep posting those videos.

-Frazer
Last edited by fworley on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:51 am

Sub wrote:
take-off, is this the fade launch?

That's what I've always understood it to be,although I like to hold it in the fade and gain a bit of height,mainly because it's one of the few things that often works for me :lol:

Where is that majestic sweep of scenery ?

Sub
Topic Author

Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:06 am

Flying in the video was at Pembrey Country Park.

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:32 am

Nice work Emil. If anything...I might suggest you are now popping too hard in that video. Try to pop softer...and walk forward just a bit. You might get a more stable fade position then. But practice would have also given you this tip eventually.

:thumbsup:
obi

MikeLos

Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Good work. take-off is pretty good.
axel-to-fade: you do it a bit late (that's why kite is not even in fade) and you still made more pop rather then pull. also try to make it like one smooth motion rather then two separated.
prokite.ru

DaveSDCA

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:05 pm

fworley wrote:
Wow - what a great place you have to fly !

I have to put up with a fire ant infested scabby field behind a church.

Sounds decidely uppleasonat. Does it improve your footwork to have these little beasts around?

You'll have to schedule a few business trips to San Diego, Frazer.

Dave