Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

MAX
Topic Author

landing a Delta

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:31 pm

:rolleyes: Most of you will be larfin yer t*ts off at THIS request - but here goes.....

started kiting last year after being left spellbound by the Palm Bay Kite weekend (Margate Kent) loved the revolution kites but decided not to go down that road,after all,Im a Kite virgin.... I took hundreds of pics,lots of real good display kites and the teams etc.
now......

Ive read all the bits I could find on the internet about tips etc,I know my lines are matched,Ive spent HOURS flying dual liners,I now have around 10 cheapo Delta kites(180 x 80) a 1.2 M powerkite ( :oops: )and recently a Dodd Gross Cherry Bomb,which I can launch,fly,circle,hover and pirouette - but then - I do NOT know how to land it! :oops: :oops: :oops: (or any other kite for that matter)the booklet says to " land kite by pulling on one line till kite drags along ground " or similar! Im NOT intent on wrecking spars Thanks! I tried many internet kite sites - and so far no 'basic' control has been found? its all 'lengthening bridles' axels, susans - and complete gobbledeegook to me!

so basically,can ANYONE tell me how to land a Delta kite on its tail end (or as upright as poss) or point me to a good site that shows videos/animations? (got the Reed one for comp stuff TY)

I live,and fly at Palm Bay,a regular kite site - but rarely meet other fliers - strange...... :(
regards N thanks for any constructive replies,to those of you larfin up yer sleeves \/ LOL Max 0/

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:39 pm

the easiest way to land a two-line kite is to fly it to the edge of the wind window, and then it will gently fall to the ground and land.

To land upright, fly the kite parallel and quite close to the ground, then sharply turn the kite to fly upwards and step/run/sprint forward as it turns upwards - it should land upright - what you're doing here is counteracting the wind on the kite by moving forward, thus the kite has no drive forward and it lands.
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:45 pm

just remembered this - here are some animations that include basic moves as well as more advanced ones:

http://www.prismkites.com/training.html
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

MAX
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:59 pm

Many Thanks Keith 0/ I'll try it out 'live' tomorow (splat crunch ouch)

video is great help - glad I found this forum!

Sub

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Hey Max, welcome to Fractured Axel.

The Cherry Bomb looks like a fun little kite to learn on.
Perfect two point landings are quite difficult to learn until you've mastered how to stall and spin-turn. As misterbleepy suggests, learn at the outer edges of the window first.
Avoid stronger winds as it's more difficult, so obviously make it easier on yourself and learn in a light breeze.

Have fun :lol:

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Grab yourself a copy of Flying Techniques once it is available on the Inter-tubes.

Carl Robertshaw explains this brilliantly in the section on the Dot Matrix. So simple you will learn it in a day, and possibly be tip-stabbing a short while after.

Mark

Aeri

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:45 am

fast and easy...

fly the kite to the edge of the window, about one meter from the ground.
now make a very tight spin and walk forward.

the prismvids are free and great :-)
Old school was a great school

Miles F

Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:37 am

Spin Stall Land worked well for me too when I was learning this trick, very satisfying to get both wing tips touching down neatly together. Use at the veryedge of the window if there's any significant breeze when you first start though. Have fun :-)
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.