Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

A new trick?

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:56 pm

I don't know if this is a new trick. Christian D. posted it. In this video, it looks a bit...well, shite. But it could be made to be better perhaps. Any thoughts?

This appears to be a pancake rotation, almost sorta. Anyone else played with this rotation?

Of course, this video is not perfect, but only to give you an idea rather than trying to explain it only. I would be interested in seeing it done well, if that's possible.

I think he wants to call it a Twix, or someone has already named it that and he is just demonstrating.

It looks like a mutex ala ABW but with only 360 degrees. Maybe not worthy of a new name.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:30 pm

It's been around a while, I think that a French guy Andre is responsible.

Here's a video of different variations of the Twix.

PieroS

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 pm

I posted this in 2005 http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2793the link is dead
:lol: Must have been a wap do Twix
Piero

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Nice, Piero. That looks much better, although the trick itself is not exactly graceful as it stands. It seems to be different than a mutex though...which is a real 540 out of a fade to pancake move.

This twix seems to be more of a spin in a nose up position.

obi
Last edited by ObijuanKenobe on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

audiorob

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:38 pm

It was in trick or treat (when tim is flying near the cliff egde) before andre posted his video. There's also a gem video from 2001 iirc with it in it.
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

PieroS

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:35 pm

I think what Tim did on ToT was a 900 tailspin/wap do wap and I think Andy did these on the Gem, but its not the same trick.
Piero

audiorob

Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:10 pm

PieroS wrote:
I think what Tim did on ToT was a 900 tailspin/wap do wap and I think Andy did these on the Gem, but its not the same trick.

See the discussion on GWTW, I posted specific references there.

PieroS

Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:42 pm

A link would help.
Piero

audiorob

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:06 pm

PieroS The gwtw search doesn't bring up anything, but it was discussed there for 2 pages or so. I suspect it's been dropped back to the archives.

Entered horizontally, andre called it a twix.. I thought the horizontal entrance was part of the trick.

Im not sure if the vertical entrance would be considered different, but the vertical entrance is not new at all. I've seen it in a number of videos where someone screws up a wapdowap (like one of the older mohawk videos lol). It's also in 2 of the transfer Xt.r videos. Any kite with a deep turtle will do it easily...

Will S

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:12 pm

I think that thisis the discussion over at GWTW that you are talking about.

711jrp

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:08 pm

The Trick at 5:24 on Trick or treat is defiantly a tailspin, I distinctly remember Jason Winter Showing Piero and I how to do them a couple of years ago, It's the same hand movements as a aggressive 540.

The first time I saw the Twix done from a fade I said to Piero Christian D was trying To claim and name it as their own. Allot of people over here and on the other side tried to blow Piero off over this at the time because he wasn't one of the forum darlings, guess in hindsight they must be feeling a bit foolish.

When the Twix is done from a horizontal pass it's just a f'ed up Taz as anyone learning the Taz will tell you.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

audiorob

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:28 pm

A tailspin? I dont recall the definition of that trick.

I can't find my ToT dvd, but Im completey sure the trick there is flying horizontal, do a half-axel and over-rotate the flare, then smack the inside line for a spin with the back facing you (just like the andre twix video).

The twix in the video above is just because the diablis probably (assumption alert) is really difficult to do a proper wapdowap (just like the transfers that had this in their videos a few years back).

PieroS

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:51 am

Rob you need to brush up on your Wardleyism's. Tailspin AKA wap do wap
http://wardley.org/kites/movies/may2004.html
Piero

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:07 am

"Tailspin" not to be confused with a "topspin". Or a "belly up 540" as I think of it.
Jason.

Positivo

Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:45 am

then smack the inside line for a spin with the back facing you

That's the key point in the twix (and where Andre had soo much trouble with getting out of the spin flying)
How you get into the position of the kite straight up with the back facing you, that's not that much a point for a "new tricksparty trick". No-one said it was a new trick, it was suggested as the next trick to be included in the tricksparty list.

Christian and his Diablis has a nice way of coming out of the spin, ending with half a barrell roll and flying straight up out of the trick.

There are too many details to look for in this trick, I don't think it will be included. But hey, that's not my call :cool:

It looks nice when put inside a ballet, that's for sure!
Flying now: B'zar 2010 STD and UL, B'zar 2011, BatQuartz, E2, Elixir, Modded Gemini, Flashlight, Sweety, Deepspace, Superfly.