Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

feathers
Topic Author

Learning Tricks on Deep Space

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 am

Hey all, looking for some advice, i've got my deep space now and looking at the forecasts may be able to get out this week, i've only flown it once in very low winds, and am used to flying my stranger/physco.

Does anyone have any tips for learning tricks? Any tips on how to make them look good with this kite? (except Practise...lol....i mean tips that improve the look of the trick)

Also, any ideas on the easiest way to get the kite to enter a fade? i've never been able to get the Stranger or physco to, but then their not really designed to...only time i've managed to is with a Quantum, and that was quite by accident!

Cheers Adam
Holder of the Libary NTK French Connection
-----------------------------------
3 Highflyers Precision kites
2 Stacker 10's
1 Stacker 8
Flexifoil Stranger
Flexifoil Physco
Benson Deep Space - My baby :)

Zippy8

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:39 am

I'll tell you if you reduce the size of your avatar ("Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 160 pixels, the height no greater than 160 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB.") :-)

Actually I'll tell you now - DL some of these tutorials and watch them a few times.

Mike.

feathers
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:48 am

apologies, i'd just stuck it up quickly and chose the larger image rather than the resized one......changed now anyways

Cheers, i've downloaded them to my itouch so i have them on the field....the joys of technology :) lol

Cheers Adam

2 Stacker 10's

1 Stacker 8

Flexifoil Stranger

Flexifoil Physco

Zippy8

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:57 am

feathers wrote:
changed now anyways

:thumbsup:

Cheers, i've downloaded them to my itouch so i have them on the field....the joys of technology :) lol

I'd advise picking just a couple to "work" on at one time. And remember - there's no need to flail at the kite. Keep the arm movements to enough, not as much as I can manage.

Mike.

DD

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:20 am

do you have trick or treat dvd?

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:36 am

Regarding getting the DS into a fade, I find the easiest way while flying is the pancake to fade move.

Because th DS has roll bars, you can actually launch the kite straight into a fade - the kite should be on the ground, on it's back, nose towards you. Pull a little on both lines to make the kite start to stand up on it's nose, then let the lines slack and the kite fall back - the kite should roll back on the roll bars, lifting the nose - once the nose is off the ground, a gentle pull will launch the kite in a fade.
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

feathers
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:06 am

Gave it a try, launching straight from the ground in lightish winds this morning, managed to get it up and sitting there, but not for very long....i think just a bit of practise. should there be just a bit of slack in the lines, or a fair ammount?

2 Stacker 10's

1 Stacker 8

Flexifoil Stranger

Flexifoil Physco

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 am

Once the kite is airborne in a fade, you need tension in the lines to keep it there - if the wind is really light, you may need to walk backwards to get more apparent wind to hold it in the fade.

Keep practising ;-)
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Tregolwyn

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:33 pm

The fade launch is a neat trick on the Deep Space but getting enough height can be tricky and needs smooth wind and/or a fair bit of control. Presumably you want to master the fade in order to get onto other tricks (flic flac etc). I would recommend the pancake to fade method as this will enable you to achieve a fade higher in the wind window and in a better position to try other things without risking a nasty nose plant. Having said that pancake to fade in strong wind can result in a spectacular nose plant if you are not quick or careful.

Keep practising.

Paul

feathers
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:56 pm

thanks paul, yeah i want to master the fade so i can start learning tricks based on it, but like i said never having had a kite that likes being in that position it's new to me.

i take the motions for pancake to fade (from what i can work out thinking about it) is step forward get the kite to pancake, then a quick pull back to rotate the kite?

2 Stacker 10's

1 Stacker 8

Flexifoil Stranger

Flexifoil Physco

Tregolwyn

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:13 pm

feathers wrote:
i take the motions for pancake to fade (from what i can work out thinking about it) is step forward get the kite to pancake, then a quick pull back to rotate the kite?

Yep that's pretty much all there is to it (throw your arms forward as well as stepping forward if need be). Easier to practice this in lighter winds. In high winds it is more run like hell and then hope you can pull back into a fade before the kite nose dives.

Paul

Tony S

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Pancake to fade is nice if you want to hold a fade, axel to fade is nice if you want to immediately go for a backspin .......

Tony

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:04 pm

...and of course pancake to fade is great for recovering off the ground, especially if you can sweep a backspin type move to get the kite back on its tips.

Mark

Tregolwyn

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:56 pm

Tony S wrote:
Pancake to fade is nice if you want to hold a fade, axel to fade is nice if you want to immediately go for a backspin .......Tony

Jest_of_EVE wrote:
...and of course pancake to fade is great for recovering off the ground, especially if you can sweep a backspin type move to get the kite back on its tips.Mark

Steady on chaps, one step at a time, he's only just bought the thing :lol:

Paul

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Goodness, Paul, you are correct.

My advice from my own experience is to learn the Axel, the Half-Axel, and practice this trick in as many ways possible.

Seriously.

For Axels, keep your arms down by your hips (not across your chest, this will hurt you later). Learn to Axel the top wing, the bottom wing, Axel landings, Axel take-offs. Learn tip-stands as a take-off.

Just go nuts on Axels in all their forms and have fun with that particular input. It's an input that will set you on track later to much more interesting tricks, and easier because of your experience/fun of Axels.

Very important....go nutz on Axels. No one here can say that this part of muscle-memory should be ignored because the basic principles apply to very many sport kite tricks.

Aim for a controlled Axel Cascade, which is such a great feeling to eventually achieve!

Axels=Go Nuts, for months....got that?

Sorted.

Mark