Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Infinitive
Topic Author

reversing lazy susans

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:18 pm

not sure about the nomenclature for this trick (is it a cinique?), where the kite does a lazy one way, then (on a single input) lazies the other way. I only ever seem to be able to do it by doing a lazy, letting the momentum cease and the kite being virtually at rest in a turtle again, then lazying the other way. There are plenty of videos out there demonstrating that you don't need to let the momentum stop before the input for the reverse lazy - but every time I try this I end up pulling the kite into flying position. I'm trying this with the king of lazy susans, the XTs.

Any tips?
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:09 am

You need to pop for the reversing lazy much earlier than you think.

Zippy8

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:35 am

And it's only if you break the kite that you'll know if you've done it right. :roll:

It has now been established that only bang!bang!bang! reversals meet the COMPETITION definition of a Cynique but for recreational purposes it's OK to not destroy your kite. It's a nice skill to acquire to be able to get one full rotation and nothing more for a trick. A bit of finesse, like.

For Trick Defining Overlord™ compliant Cyniques the only clue I can provide is to be very aware of what position the kite is in (vis-a-vis Turtle depth) when you hit the reverse button. But then again I am reliably informed that I know nothing of this trick so I wouldn't pay any attention to me if I were you.

Mike.

datenland
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:38 am

You need to pop for the reversing lazy much earlier than you think.

Very true. I would say you have to reverse the direction at about 340-350 degrees. Whereas the XTS might be the king (queen?) of Lazies and Multilazies it has the tendency of falling further backwards and rolling up when there is too much slack after the rotations. So the major point seems to be to keep this turtle under control and not let it fall further down. The faster the lazies are the easier this is. Also, like Zippy said, of you let it fall down too much you increase the danger of ripping through the spreader. Hasn't happened to me yet, the PT7 are quite sturdy. My major problem is the slack with the non-rotating hand. Like with a backspin-cascade you must give slack immediately with the other hand or you will stop the rotation with that.

LazyErik
You can make your neighbours think that you have fluorescent lights in all the rooms in your house by quickly turning the lights on and off several times before leaving them on.

audiorob

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
But then again I am reliably informed that I know nothing of this trick so I wouldn't pay any attention to me if I were you.

Mike.

Now we're on the same page :P

---

If you wanna get cyniques on the Xt.s, shed a bit (or all) of the tailweight for a couple days. You should get the cynique pretty quickly, and once you do, stick the tailweight back on.
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

paul1969

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:52 pm

of the kites i have the xts is the one i have most success with cyniques on, can regularly get three of four alternating susans, six being my best to date. (ao's original single standoff spike was pretty good at them too).

as craig said, you pop a lot earlier than you would expect, it's one of those instinctive things once you're in the groove and very hard to describe. i would say no more than 3/4 of the rotation, the lines need to be slack enough for susan but tight enough that the reversing input is pretty much instant. certainly a lower wind trick for me, walking forwards and making sure the back of the kite is pretty much facing you as you hit the reverse susan input otherwise, as you say, you simply pull the kite out of position.

well that's how i do it, not always the prettiest trick but when you get it right it's very satisfying.

have also heard before (one of those french guys i think (possibly even mm himself) but what do they know? :P) that it is more accessible with the kite rolled up but to me that sounds potentially even more of a spreader buster and given the nature of the trailing edge of the xts i am loathed to practice it regularly :shock:
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

datenland
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:05 pm

given the nature of the trailing edge of the xts i am loathed to practice it regularly

You might try putting some tape along the edge. I agree that it doesn't look very solid but I have been flying mine almost exclusively for over two years now, overall it's a very good constructed kite.

Erik
You can make your neighbours think that you have fluorescent lights in all the rooms in your house by quickly turning the lights on and off several times before leaving them on.

paul1969

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:22 pm

@ erik: going slightly ot here but i'm not knocking the quality of build, i'm very impressed (they got an 8 in zippy's survey from me) and never had any issues with any of my xtr's and xts's . in fact the amount of additional tape i have put on them has gradually reduced to nothing as my technique has become less 'spanky', i'm just mindful that certain tricks 'could' increase wear and tear :-D
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

audiorob

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:53 pm

I have an Xt.s that's been flown very heavily by me, 1000's of multilazies and cyniques and I've done nothing to the TE... except loosen the LE tensioner so it becomes a bit flappy. No rips or tears in the te at all... but it is badly frayed almost every place possible.

Actually.. it was frayed that badly within a few days of getting it, and it never became much worse. All my atelier kites are like that for whatever reason.

datenland
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:43 pm

it was frayed that badly within a few days of getting it, and it never became much worse.

Exactly, let's call it style...

flappy

Word of the day :lol:

I'm positively surprised how many people like the XTS!

Erik

Zippy8

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:21 am

This interested me, although this isn't how I do the named trick. Not that I do the named trick, as we know. This is closer to a Reversing Latham although the cool kids probably don't know it by this name.

Mike.

711jrp

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:14 am

That looks more like Insane left/right to me.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Infinitive
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:38 am

I love the build quality on Xt - only bone to pick is the triangular cut nose. The Xts and xtr demonstrate what can be done with skyshark.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

audiorob

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:49 am

711jrp wrote:
That looks more like Insane left/right to me.

At least by tricks party standards, it is.