Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

tspdk
Topic Author

Cosmic TC STD and Flic Flac

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:17 pm

Hi

I found a video on YouTube where i cn see fworley doing the flic flac with the Cosmic.

Is there any bridle modification on the kite or is it the stock bridle or what can I do to make it so easy flic flac.
Best Regards
Thomas

aerialis

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:20 pm

...or is it all in the hands of the pilot? :o
Sven A
--
AERIALIS Kites
http://kites.aerialis.no/

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:23 pm

I'm not the pilot :oops:

But the kite is completely standard - no modifications.

The secret is to choke off the flare - do not let it overpitch (nose high).

The vent doesn't appear to suffer the same issue.

-Frazer

tspdk
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:35 pm

@Fworley
Thank you... Yes that was also what i was told... Do now I know what to do. Thank you for fast reply!

@Sven
Yes it is all about the pilot... Just needed a answer.. !
Best Regards
Thomas

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:16 am

Agreed.

The Talon, like the Trident, like the DS, is very fond of over-flaring. This is a nice effect to some extent. Great if that is what you want, but to obtain normal (proper) Flic-Flacs requires some more discipline. You indeed need to 'choke' the kite early and pull it back into line.

This I feel is a slight trade-off to overly-pitchey designs, but can be controlled with 'expert' inputs. Now it seems that easy-peasy Flic-Flacs are a harder trick to perform and even something to be admired because of pitchey designs.

I think that clean Flic-Flacs on a contemporary kite are a good example of a skilled and aware trick flier. Whereas, on older designs it was a no-brainer, just like making a kite do a yoyo today. It's not hard, it's the fashion, it's quite easy because the kite is designed that way.

I'll readily admit that my designs are heavily pitch influenced, but I've watched people do better Flic-Flacs on my kite than me and they've only flown it for 30 seconds!

It's still a trick and requires flier-brain to perform properly.

It's strange that I think myself a better flier than some people, but those very same people can make the kite side-slide for a considerably longer period than I.

I guess they're just damned-well more experienced at that trick than me!

But then, isn't a Guru flier someone who can pick up any old piece of tat and make it look fantastic? I think they can! I've seen them do it! It's amazing!

Gawd bless 'em, these are the people who make the news at the Olympics ;)

Top-man Goff can still put us in our place in a comp, even though he's flying a kite that actually isn't capable of all the newest tricks. Limit him to a Dot Matrix and he'll still make you work for your place.

Flier skilll. Priceless. It's all in your head and if you practice it enough then you become exceptional, whatever the circumstances and conditions.

Mark

randyg

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:18 am

Don't forget that smooth wind can make all the difference with a kite of this nature. As I recall, the Transfer UnLeaded had a similar issue. If the wind changes during the trick and the pilot doesn't adjust, then the nose goes too far and you're stuck in the flare. :shock:

BTW, the Debray and Machine are overly pitchy kites and neither of them are particularly hard to Flic Flac.
Randy
My Blog

ObijuanKenobe

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 am

I also love the flic flac, especially if you can vary the amount of rotation and still pull out. The Sea Devil does this marvelously, esp. in decent wind. You can flip the kite all the way to the point where you would initiate a wap-do-wap, and still pull back to a fade...and repeat. I have seen Johannes do this with his CosTC, so it's in there.

I don't have a Cosmic, but I seem to remember it being very important to give ample slack after giving the input to stop the flare and return to the fade position, and that it was much more than I was used to. I didn't like that for some reason.

But being stuck in a flare makes a taz machine rather easy, don't it? I have learned alot by watching these kites fly. They are slow and deliberate, and very balanced. Nice kites for sure, just not for me right now.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci