Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Mark E Mark
Topic Author

Last trick you learnt?

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:07 am

I've just come back from a very pleasant week in Portugal and have had something of an epiphany flying on the beech in super smooth coastal winds. I've never really got the hang of multi, multi yo-yo wraps but suddenly it wasn't a problem - I think 10 was my max but did loads of them (bloody hell the kite sure does get close on 23m lines when you have 10 or so wraps). In addition, I managed to repeatedly manage a combo of a couple of back spin rotations to a couple of JL rungs repeated as a sequence which I found very satisfying. This little break through made me wonder about other people’s recent kite learning moments - any others wish to share?

StuartB

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:48 am

Trying to work out what tricks I could do at the Chester tricks party (real answer: not many) I read the description of a wap-do-wap in the tricks party definitions and thought I'd give it a go. I got some straightaway and it seemed easier than I expected, then suddenly it got harder again and every time I tried to get the flat spin I ended up pulling the nose back out of the over-rotated flare. I haven't flown since Chester so I don't know whether it will appear again.

Infinitive

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:14 am

I'm playing about with ground work stuff, like tipstand-lazy-tipstand, and k2000 "cascade", where you let the kite spin, then fall back to its LE and k2000 the other way. Also trying to French flick flack consistently.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:26 am

Smooth winds really make multi-wraps easier.

Rolling Cascade was my last, not perfect yet.

Multi-slots are nice and close together now.

Been doing the same K2000 cascade as Al.

Also, brushing up on snap lazy landings (long overdue).

Mark

kevspilly

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:21 pm

epiphany flying on the beech in super smooth coastal winds.

It so much easier with a smooth constant wind that's blowing all way down to your toes.

Living near the coast makes you really appreciate the difference.
Sometimes when I fly in land, I often find the wind so bumpy or variable
that is very difficult to do even basic stuff.

Answer to the question is back spin, It’s not quite Goff standard though!
I bought a second hand Nirvana UL & managed to back spin that a bit on the beach today. Before I’ve only been able to do that with my Sea Devil STD.
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:34 pm

mine was either a backspin or barrel roll - not sure really, and maybe 'learnt' is the wrong word - but it definitely happened on purpose, which was nice :-)
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

datenland
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm

Comète. Took me quite some time and needs lots of smoothing out. During the holidays in Toscana there was a few times so much wind that I botched almost every Two-Point Landing into a Tipstand. After that I could do it on purpose.

- Erik
You can make your neighbours think that you have fluorescent lights in all the rooms in your house by quickly turning the lights on and off several times before leaving them on.

TobyR

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:08 pm

Comete and Snap (multi-)Lazies. Like Mark, also trying to nail consistent snap lazy landings and especially snap lazy to tip stand.

Something I'd really like to be able to do, but have only managed once or twice sort of by accident, is yo-yo 540 -> unwrap -> tip stand. Must try harder!

TobyR

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Infinitive wrote:
I'm playing about with ground work stuff, like (...) k2000 "cascade"

More like K2000 puddle methinks.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Lewis, unwrapping to a 2-point landing. No, I don't get it right anything like every time!

matt

Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:37 am

Yo-yo/Jacobs-ladder combos... very inconsistant but I blame the weather!
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

S4

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:22 pm

Fade to Flat spin 540 back to fade to flat spin 540 opposite rotation back to fade to flat spin 540 again. Variation of a Mutex, need to axel the kite back into a fade. Very satisfying... :-D
Rasclaaaaart...!

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:15 pm

Last trick I learned was what I still call "The Pat" after you ^^^^^^^^^ because that's where I first saw it. Fly downwards, reverse rollup until nose away and lines coming over back of kite and then 540 spin. Has it got another name?
Jason.

S4

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:40 am

Arrrrrr how nice of you Jason thanks but I got that from Debray in so freestyle with the Krystal FX.....I gave it the FYF40 where FYF stands for Failed Yo Fade. Any ideas out there..?
Rasclaaaaart...!

randyg

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:06 am

Not sure if this qualifies as an actual trick (probably more of a combo) but I'm sortof hooked on what I've been calling a Slot Cascade.

RH Slot/Half Axel/LH Slot/Half Axel...repeat. It can be a dreamy sequence with an UL or SUL if you get it right.
Randy
My Blog