Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Deezer
Topic Author

Greetings of the newbie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:48 am

I think this is a suitable place to say the first "Hallo!". So, HI GUYS!
I came across a Stunt Kite accidentally. A friend of mine got one as a birthday present and didn't actually like it. So a month later I saw the kite untouched and unwrapped at his villa. I checked it out and assembled it, and it was like: "WOW, that's strange! Why the hell is it like a Delta? I think it's just a matter of design.". So I decided to try flying it smile.gif The only experience with kites that I had was with one made by my father (wooden sticks + wallpaper) when I was five years old! Not much of XP, huh smile.gif So i tried to get this futuristic one airborne by running. And it was like 3 hours running up and down a slope hahaha! Then it actually flew and that was the very moment that I fell in love of first flight smile.gif It was a great experience! I never knew that it was meant for stunts so I was trying to get it as higher, as I could. But it was fine enough for me. So far, so good I even learned that running doesn't help much smile.gif The next day was "kite googling" day. I found out what it was all about and watched some videos and got cаught in the trap wink.gif I already have a wishlist also smile.gif a Bebop & Ying Yang kites. I'm from Bulgaria and sport kites aren't that popular here. I found just one kite club from another city. The only place in my city where they sell kites is an JYSK store (WTF a furniture store?). And they only have one kind of "made in China" kite called Twister ($6.06 a piece). I got one and now I have 2 kites of the same kind for crashing and learning. So now I'm learning out of disappointment. Yesterday had very little wind but I still tried to take out the kite and I couldn't take it off the ground for more than a minute. Yesterday's lesson - stronger and steadier wind!
As a newbie I still haven't got many questions but one is a good start. When the kite makes a circle in the air the lines get entangled and it crashes. How do we deal with entangled lines and crashing because of them? (Natural answer is making a circle in the other direction but how? The lines are already entangled and control lost)

Slow Dog

Re: Greetings of the newbie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 pm

Deezer wrote:
When the kite makes a circle in the air the lines get entangled and it crashes. How do we deal with entangled lines and crashing because of them? (Natural answer is making a circle in the other direction but how? The lines are already entangled and control lost)

Welcome.

Turn back before in the opposite direction before it gets unmanageable. Try to fly in a horizontal figure of 8 (infinity) so you never twist up.

And buying better flying lines means you can get more twists before they bind up.

I wouldn't recommend a BeBop. It's small, so needs lots of wind. Tough and cheap, though. I'd suggest you buy the biggest kite you can get/afford. The bigger the kite, the less wind it needs, and the better it flies. The Yin Yang looks the much better bet, though I haven't flown one. Comes with decent flying lines, too.

jumbo

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi Deezer

A new kiteflyer is born.
According to your story i guess the lines you are using isn't the best quality.
A good kite to start with is the "Neox" or the "Over" from Eolo sport Kites.
Order some good flying lines with it and I think you will have lots of fun.
An big plus is that both kites are not stricktly beginner kites, but they are capible of doing all the latests tricks, so you will not outgrow your kites for a long time.

Jumbo

Deezer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:51 pm

Thanks guys for the hints! The problem is that I'm from Bulgaria. Even though we're already in the EU it's still situated right on top of geography's ass and I don't think any manufacturer could deliver me a kite here. I don't think there's a kite store in my city so my only choice is the online store of the kite club I found. I mailed them and the result is only 3 models of kites in stock:
Maestro - I can't afford that!
Bolero - Hardly affordable.
Bebop - Almost affordable.
The three models that I can easily afford are of questionable origin (Veda, Buka and AZ - google couldn't find a manufacturer) and are out of stock.
That's the situation. The guy from the club advised me to wreck one or two "made in China" kites and then buy a real kite :)
I'm trying to find out if I can buy at least some nice flying lines :)

Aeri

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:12 am

with patience you should be able to find a nice second hand kite that can be sent by some service... and prices there can be a lot more afordable :-)

welcome to your new addiction ;-)
Old school was a great school

Deezer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:51 am

About the addiction - you're damn right! And patience I've got :) After all I still have to learn to fly a kite before jumping into the big wind ;)

Deezer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:29 am

P.S. In Bulgaria I found Dyneema lines. Are they good?

jumbo

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:59 am

Dyneema lines are good quality lines, low stretch and they are able to handle multipel twists and still maintain control.
Like Aeri wrote, try to find a second hand kite. In Germany on the Drachenforum (www.drachenforum.net) there's a second hand ( Verkauf ) section. Contact them and ask if they ship to bulgaria. I did this recently with my Benson Gemini UL.
The seller in Germany send it to me in the Netherlands, no problem.
The cost was 17 euro's.

Good luck

Jumbo

dubster

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:31 pm

Welcome Deeza, great to hear you are having fun with your new toys :)
I bought my gf a "HQ Yukon" for £35 here in UK, it's a pretty good little kite for the money & can manage some of the basic tricks (axels, fades, etc) so if money's tight, that might be worth a look. It's made by same people as bebop, so you should be able to order one from your store.
Whatever you get, have fun, enjoy & keep addicted, it's the best fun you can have alone in a field :D
Dubs' (another noobie to the forum)
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Fizz Box of Tricks std (1997)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)