Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

danteuk

Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:59 am

Yngwie Malmsteen vs Richie Blackmore ( pre-Blackmores' Night )

Yngwie - Great technical player
Richie - Plays what he feels

Me - Plays what I feel because can't be arssed to learn all the technical stuff when I know I prefer to listen to natural players like Richie.

On Kites:
I think you have to learn the technical stuff to learn the tricks, then practice till it's a reflex(dull part) - then you can fly like Richie plays.

At the moment I'm still trying to learn to backspin ( yes I know it's easy I've watched a lot of you guys doing loads of them ) but I'm still failing most of the time but I know I won't get it unless I try and fail a lot more times - not fun - but once I finally suss it it will be very much fun!
MyKites - That is not dead that can eternal lie, yet in strange aeons this damn kite might fly.

Bodyflight

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:16 pm

I thinks this debate is linked to the 'innovation' one that started a couple of weeks ago. Let's face it, someone had to be innovative to put two lines on a kite. Then to make it delta shaped. Then to discover snap turns.
An innovator discovered the axel. The fade.
If no-one pushed things, there wouldn't be any freestlye flying.

I think that the 'is it worth learning really techie tricks?' debate comes from the fact that most new tricks are not tricks at all but combinations.
If you can do the tricks that make up a combo, all the combo shows is that you can blend them together nicely. I personally think that's worth doing but it's not everyone's cup of tea. If you can do a yoyo'd lazy susan, do you really have to learn to triple-wrap it?
I think if someone was to 'push the limits' by inventing a genuinly new thing you could do with a delta kite (like a flyable belly down nose-to-pilot postion, or a fully steerable, fly-it-around-the-window fade) we'd all thank the innovators for giving us something new to learn. That's different from pushing it by combining more and more already attainable tricks into a sequence.

I like to FLY my kite. If it's just sitting 20 feet up in the middle of the wind window wobbling about doing trick after trick ALL THE TIME then I may as well be indoors with a yoyo or diablo.

kareloh

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:37 am

Zippy8 wrote:
So what is the kiting equivalent of fretwank ? :-k

Mike.

I'm not sure about kiting, but skateboarding's equivalent must be:

www.fretclick.com

See the "news" section for some footage...

(Disclaimer: I know, i'm a lousy webdesigner... at least at the technical stuff.... codewise....)

Eddie Green

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:43 am

When I first started flying the Area 51 I was up on all the latest techie tricks of the time. I still couldn't 540.

These days I like cascades and 540's more than just about anything else.

Amongst recreational fliers there is something of a progression that goes from heavy practice and the latest tricks through to a broader more chilled out approach. As the years go on people get an appreciation for different kites and styles. I always like the idea of a Trickout where you get given a surprise kite - maybe a Stranger or BoT and have to do the best you can with something different to what you fly. I can't see Jason struggling with that. I can see some of the new fliers finding it a bit more difficult.

I really appreciate the top level technical fliers pushing the limits. I also really appreciate the newer fliers flying stuff that I can't do after 10 years.

One thing you really notice from people who have been flying a long time (Wardley, Robertshaw, Preston) is an honesty about their own abilities and a real appreciation of other peoples styles.

jimstl

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:31 am

Jason wrote:

...more connected with what they're doing.

....keep the flow going...

This has really stuck with me for the last week or so since I first read it.

This last one has made a pretty big impact on how I'm flying, keeping the flow going.

Whatever happens, expected or not, to keep connected with the kite, and to keep the flow going.

That was a great thing for me to read, thanks.

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:37 am

I have to admit I have had this thread in my head for a while as well. Jason also got to me.

Anyway, it has made me a bit better flier because as I practice (which is definitely different than just flying) tricks I want to master, I am now a bit more conscious of what I do between tries. Not that I never was, and it has resulted in less "practicing" and more flying. This is a good thing. It has become interesting to fly a bit more loose and focus on "framing" the practice trick in the context of tricks I am very good at. Crazy, as the other great thing here is that you enter the new trick "when you see the opportunity" rather than flying solely to set it up all afternoon.

I think this has been helpful.

Cheers, Jason.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:20 am

If you want to nail a new trick then you have to practice it in a sterile, technical style, like a musician might repeat a difficult phrase until he has it down, but once you get the hang of it you can start to use it as it feels right in your regular flying, like the musician would whilst jamming.

The trick is feeling when it's going 'wrong' and making it something different, but 'right'.

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:34 am

Yeah, this is how I still fly when it's about a certain move. I was a musician in my youth, and this was my first approach to it. Certainly, the most efficient way to mastery is repetition.

I now find it useful to "reconnect" with the kite after a miss by flying a small set of more familiar "jamming". It gets my mind and hands back with the kite, and ready for that next attempt (at the wap-do-wap, right now) at the new trick.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Alain

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Christian Derefat has a secret, he is flying on a football field close to his home place almost every day, and by every weather, including rain snow and no wind day!

He is training every tricks one by one until the tricks looks perfect, and he can perform it on request!

You want get to this kind of level if you fly 2 hours a weeks and only by nice weather! sorry!

:cool:

Jason wrote:
I never thought anyone would be annoyed by the post.

I dont believe you! well done btw... :cool:
Now every one is jealous...

Andy S wrote:
Jason wrote:
It's soulless.

Technical things often are. But that doesn't mean they're useless or even pointless.

I was reading the latest TP thread on GWTW this morning and half-worrying that we're going to get left behind in terms of TP competition. The other half said "Yeah, so what. You're having fun aren't you?"

Personally I don't have the time to commit to TP, just like I don't have time to commit to the technical competitions that STACK run. No matter what people say, the only way to do well (or even not look like a complete knob) at TP is to practice.

You can have a lot fun at a Tricks Party even if you are not a top class pilot, remember YOU chose the tricks, the number of tricks and they difficulty, that you want to perform during your ballet!
Left behind in terms of TP competition?
STACK UK has always had an open door for Tricks Party, you are lucky!
It's not the same for the rest of the (Stack) world... :-(

Aeri

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:50 pm

and here's me thinking that flying kites was all about relaxing the brain... enjoying the feeling of a kite doint what you like it to do... or at least try

I can remember a "competition" at London Kite Festival....
I came with chris M that year and a lot of great pilots subscribed to something called a trickout (I think)

now allthough the goal was to outfly oneandother, we just kept on teaching eachother better ways of doing the trick... learning...
and while flying.. keep out of the way of the boomerangs flying round the field by bored decorators....

noone cared about points or winning, it was the fun of it...

isnt that the point of flying anymore? or is it just me being to oldschool?

btw, if anyone remembers a kiteshop in Belgium, knokke... that was me ;-)
Old school was a great school

audiorob

Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:11 am

Aeri wrote:
and here's me thinking that flying kites was all about relaxing the brain... enjoying the feeling of a kite doint what you like it to do... or at least try

I can remember a "competition" at London Kite Festival....
I came with chris M that year and a lot of great pilots subscribed to something called a trickout (I think)

now allthough the goal was to outfly oneandother, we just kept on teaching eachother better ways of doing the trick... learning...
and while flying.. keep out of the way of the boomerangs flying round the field by bored decorators....

noone cared about points or winning, it was the fun of it...

isnt that the point of flying anymore? or is it just me being to oldschool?

btw, if anyone remembers a kiteshop in Belgium, knokke... that was me ;-)

Everyone has fun in different ways.
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist