Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

tunemx
Topic Author

The Torpedo

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:48 pm

I have read at a few places that this kite or that kite is good at the trick called "The Torpedo". I wonder what it would be? Could anyone describe this trick? Could not find in Tricky Wiki. A video would be even nicer. TIA!

RoyReed

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 pm

Tricks Party definition:

Torpille
Basic Description: Tumbling trick similar to the Comète but more smoothly flowing. Kite alternates between back and belly as it descends.
Key Elements: 45° descent. Minimum 3 repetitions.

Doesn't help much does it. I'm not sure if there are any videos of it.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Matt B

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:19 pm

tunemx
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:02 am

Wow the video gives some idea, but would not even know how to start with it :)

Ian
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 am

I think this is what Dodd Gross calls an axel cascade. It's basically an axel thats started with the nose pointing downward or at 5/7 o'clock. Once the axel rotation finishes you can start another, and so on to keep it tumbling. It can be hard to keep the move going for more than two or three rotations as the kite usually wants to recover.

Also known as the Poor Man's Comet ;-)

Zippy8

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:24 pm

Resurrection ! Sorry, it's a slow day here at work and I'm reading stuff I glossed over before.

This was one of the first tricks I heard of coming out of France, hence the French name (torpille not torpedo). As far as I was concerned all it was :shock: was a sequence of downwards facing, single direction Axels. It's been misidentified as a Cométe in some older videos but it's a lot less envolved (one pull per limb of the move, one hand) than that.

Aim the kite straight down, it's a beefy first pull to initiate the rotation, not too much slack or most kites just fall out onto their back and stay there, subsequent pulls are just about keeping the momentum, loses altitude like a bugger so on short lines you'll struggle to get three repetitions in (at least the way I do them).

It's a dynamic move, not a floaty one, so best on STDs that can take a good hard yank and pull off FULL Axels.

(I see that the Tricks Party USA site defines it as descending at a 45° angle which I consider to be non-canon).

Edit:- And here's another video that shows it off quite well. Notice the distinct lack of 45° descent and considerable altitude loss.

Mike.