Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Workin' on yo-yo flight....

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:52 am

I am primarily flying a Sea Devil standard. It rolls up nicely...for other pilots. For me, it's still a bit unpredictable. Mostly, I have trouble getting the right momentum to keep the lines straight...so I almost always miss one stopper when attempting to wrap exiting a fade.

Furthermore, I CAN two pop into a wrap easier, but then the lines are always(!) inside the lower standoffs (rather than nicely in-between), so the sail is always affected...is this normal, or is the goal to catch to catch the stoppers and have the line running betweent the inner and outer standoffs?

Tips on yo-yo flying in general?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Mark E Mark

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:18 pm

If you have a couple of twists in the line it can help to locate the lines inside the stoppers.

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:09 pm

Yeah, that one I figured out. Thanks.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Mark E Mark

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Just thought I would mention it :-) Must admit it dorsn't seem to make much difference on my Akuji but then again there is almost always oe wrap or more on the lines.

randyg

Re: Workin' on yo-yo flight....

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:40 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
...so I almost always miss one stopper when attempting to wrap exiting a fade.

Another thought is to mind the slack you are giving for that move. I have found, for me, it is the most consistent way to catch both stoppers but too much slack will lower my percentage.

I should also say it has been my experience the more I practice Yo-Yo's, the better I am at catching both stoppers.

Just a couple of thoughts from this side of the Atlantic. 8)
Randy
My Blog

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:24 pm

I need to practice them more for sure...and it seems that many of the more advanced moves require the "minding of slack", around which I am still trying to get my head.

Thanks for the tip. I have been throwing loads of slack at the kite....

By the way, thanks for all the videos! My two pop is quite reliable, and so are my snap lazy, half axel, and flic flac. I really think they are the clearest ones out there. I am really still having trouble with the cascade, although I had it a while back I though :? . I just watched that vid again...another thread around here suggested to close your eyes and just count the rhythm to get the trick...

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:11 pm

close your eyes and just count the rhythm to get the trick...

Try looking away and watching from your peripheral vision.

Mark

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:01 pm

Big revelation: Weight on tail...as per recommendations of others...works wonders. Thanks a million. How will this change how other tricks develop I wonder?

markusm

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:48 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Big revelation: Weight on tail...as per recommendations of others...works wonders. Thanks a million. ...

oh, on the german drachenforum there is a running gag:

the more J.Lo, the more yo-yo ;-)

Andy S
King of FA

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:00 pm

:lol: