Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Tips on spinning....

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:06 pm

Remember when you guys were learning all these neat tricks for the first time....

So I have made quite some progress in the past week. I have moved from the more basic (hard tug axels, landings, and tip stands) onto more advanced pitch related stuff. My recent success has been almost scary. :shock: I now have a half-axel, fade from flare, fade from half axel, flic-flac, as well as entering the turtle well in hand. I am now working on flying wrapped...getting wrapped at least. It's no where near "good" yet, but I'll soon have it I think. However, I realized yesterday with a wild smile on my face that these positions are where the rotations begin! And then I pulled the kite out of the air maybe 50 times in a row! :(

When I am in the fade or turtle position, how do I get these basic positions to spin??? I am really lost on this one, as I simply always yank it straight out of the air. I know it's basic, but if you have a second, a few pointers would be fantastic. I feel as though the right tip could really get me closer to finally attempting a Jacob's Ladder!? Jeewiz am I happy about kiting right now. :cool:
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:13 pm

Roy's tip, which worked for me, was to imagine you're starting a lawnmower or outboard motor (accelerating pull). The other thing that helped me was to accept that I needed to have <b>lots</b> of slack in the other line.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:15 pm

Backspins - push the hand you're going to spin with away from you a touch first.

Lazy Susans - make sure the turtle is deep enough.

Bryan

kareloh

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:41 pm

I guess i'm at the same level of experience as you, and i just learned to do lazy's last week (not consistent yet).

I had the same problem, i janked the kite out of the sky. In my case, on a Gem, the input for the lazy needed to be a little less explosive, my "other hand" needed more slack and the turtle needed to be deep enough.

I didn't manage to do backspins yet.... but i'll keep trying (after this horrible weather is gone, that is).

Positivo

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:54 pm

Overall, rotation-pulls are not that hard, a descisive pull is enough. From a mechanical point of view, rotations go best when the wing you pull is slightly behind the other one (further away from you)

and all of the above answers are valid as well :cool:
Flying now: B'zar 2010 STD and UL, B'zar 2011, BatQuartz, E2, Elixir, Modded Gemini, Flashlight, Sweety, Deepspace, Superfly.