Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Help! Yo-yos gone skew-iffy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:08 am

My yo-yos (which were never that brilliant anyway) have suddenly started going horribly bleughh! Initially, my having watched & applied Tim's yo-yo tutorial bit on ToT, they immediately started getting better, but over the last couple of weekends they have been getting steadily worse. The problem is, no matter where in the window I do them, about 90% of them start rotating (yawing) clockwise (i.e. right wing towards me) at the same time as the pitch rotation starts. I'm obviously not being symmetrical in my movements, but I can't identify the cause.

Remedial suggestions gratefully received.

RoyReed

Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:22 am

I can sympathise. My flying has gone right downhill since watching ToT. I think my kites have become jealous of what they could be doing!

Bridle slipped? (I noticed this had happened on my GemUL when I was in Cornwall last week.)

Line lengths not equal? If one has stretched by just a bit but you're still giving the same input this could have an effect. Do you always attach the same line to the same side?

Been lifting too many pints with the same hand increasing muscle mass in that arm? Try buying two halves instead and alternating left and right.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:06 am

I've had this in the past and you need to train yourself out of it. Your right hand is dominent so you need to try and lead with your left hand, deliberately going out of sync to the left. This can help to balance it all out again.

Bryan Beasley once said to me that it's worth spending a while doing more stuff with your left side and it works well in taking away the 'right hand dominance'. So well in fact that my backspins are noticably easier going left now, guess I overdid it :lol:

Mark

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks, guys, will experiment more today.

@ Roy: I don't think it's bridle or lines because it happens with more than one line set, and on different kites. Also, I'm right-handed, so the right would (I assume) tend to stretch more, but the unwanted rotation suggests the opposite. But I will check both! (Yes, I do fly the same line on the same side -- the colour-coding helps me to sort myself out when I get the kite in a tip-wrap and, with the pedestrian thought processes at my age, I need these things to be instinctive, not to have to re-learn every time I swap the lines over.) Oh, and I'm a teetotaller, but I do appreciate the need for a balanced diet when it comes to pints ...:lol: .

@Mark: I have noticed that I am very right dominant -- it's so much easier :-) . To the extent that, if I want to attempt a backspin cascade, I have to start with the left if I want any chance of success; if I start with the right, the kite (especially the Akuji UL, which is my fave kite ATM) just keeps on going and going...

Later Edit:
Spot on Mark! Consciously favouring the left has just about cured it (to the extent that I managed a few Lewises which, for me, is astonishing)! Thanks!

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:40 pm

Had the same thing learning basketball. Tenuous link I know, but practicing dribbling (Ie. bouncing the ball, not making making an icky mucussy mess on the floor before anyone comments) shooting and passing with the weak(er) hand dramatically improves overall performances.

Bryan

Popeye

Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:15 pm

Funny that just had the same problem with Flick Flacks over the last couple of days. Checked lines bridle etc. all seems fine, must be catching.