Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

yeswehavetheright
Topic Author

Pulling not popping

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:17 pm

Hi guys,
I'm having major trouble with flat spins and lazies. Basically when I try to pop the kite when horizontal I just seem to pull the kite out of the sky each time rather than get it to spin. A while back I was managing to get 540's fairly consistently, but now it's not happening at all. So I guess I'm not popping right but I just can't seem to figure out how to improve this.
Also, when I put the kite onto it's back to try a lazy it seems to just fall (usually one wing tip first) and tangle with the lines.
As you might guess I'm a novice! Hope you can help as I'm consistently getting this wrong and it's doing my head in!
Cheers.

slippery

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:39 pm

im having similar trouble converting to a DS from a gem, the DS is much easier to pull backwards, casing it to drop out, i think the answer lays not in the pop, but in the slack, :)

hope this helps

RoyReed

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:32 pm

For 540s it helps to have the wing you're pulling (not popping - it's back to the starting an outboard motor analogy) slightly higher than the other - and then loads of slack - you can't have too much.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

yeswehavetheright
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40 pm

Thanks - like the outboard motor analagy!

S4

Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:28 pm

During the flattening out phase try offsetting your hands ie lead with your left for a right hand pull, vice versa..

whisky

Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:22 pm

S4 wrote:
During the flattening out phase try offsetting your hands ie lead with your left for a right hand pull, vice versa..

As S4 says, if your more comfortable with a Right hand pull, then fly down pancake out (away, belly down) uneven with nose slightly to the left (make sure the nose over rotates and is slightly higher than the trailing edge when you push out) a pull, maybe a pop when you get the hang of it, then loads of slack, I mean massies of slack :D Light breeses gives you a bit of extra thinking time...

Alan
Greedily wants: Benson Beanie................... Still waiting!!! (Zippy8 wrote "this near mythical beast")

slippery

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:14 pm

As S4 says, if your more comfortable with a Right hand pull, then fly down pancake out (away, belly down) uneven with nose slightly to the left (make sure the nose over rotates and is slightly higher than the trailing edge when you push out) a pull, maybe a pop when you get the hang of it, then loads of slack, I mean massies of slack :D Light breeses gives you a bit of extra thinking time...

Alan[/quote]

ahh, whiskey, from your avatar, i guess your flying a gem.

540's on a gem were a piece of cake for me, the movement seemed to come naturally, but i don't think iv'e ever pulled it off on any other kite.

i got a deepspace a couple of months ago and im hopeless with em, every time i try, i pull it backwards out of the sky. ](*,)

what kite are you flying YWHTR??

S4

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:53 pm

[qoute]

i got a deepspace a couple of months ago and im hopeless with em, every time i try, i pull it backwards out of the sky. ](*,)

Sounds like you might be pushing the nose too far which gives too much slack for the initial pull. You only realy need th slack for the rotation part...

Nils

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:07 am

the "problem" with the ds is that if you do an agressive pancake, it'll lose all momentum, and hang still in the air.
this is something you don't get on the gem.

so the solution would be to do it in a fluid motion, and give the pull/pop BEFORE it settles in the fade.

in other words for a right-handed 540:
fly to the left side of the window
don't run forwards until you're ready to do a pancake
then throw your hands halfway forward...
extend your left arm further forward, and at the same time pop with the right
and then lots of slack

this all needs to be done in a fluid motion, and needs a lot of practice

whisky

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:00 pm

ahh, whiskey, from your avatar, i guess your flying a gem.

540's on a gem were a piece of cake for me, the movement seemed to come naturally, but i don't think iv'e ever pulled it off on any other kite.

what kite are you flying YWHTR??

Flying the DS nowdays, I dont seem to be having any trouble with it, but as Nils says, its a fluid movement. As the nose is moving out and left, I give it a pull, not to hard as it will pull out!!!

Im waving my arms around here, can you see that :lol:
Greedily wants: Benson Beanie................... Still waiting!!! (Zippy8 wrote "this near mythical beast")