Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

tunemx
Topic Author

What low-wind kite for $200 budget?

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:21 am

Hi! I am at the point of buying a SUL/low-wind and have a $200 budget threshold to keep within. Atelier Double Zero came to mind first (gwtw-kites.com sells for $199), but I don't want to miss any other options. I know that the 00 is from 2004 and maybe it would worth to get a Cesium Continental instead? Do you guys know if what the main differences are between the two of them? All I know is that the CC's wingspan is bigger. Breaking factor counts also. I know that a SUL is rarely durable in the same time, but I am a kite-killer (broke a Vapor once :oops: ), and sometimes forgetting to be cautious enough.

Any inputs are welcome. Thank you.

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:32 am

To me the continental is sul, the 00 is indoor kite. They will both fly in very little wind, possibly the 00 will fly at no wind at all without to much work, check the Atelier website for a video of Gregory flying it indoors, pretty nice control. I have not flown the continental, the 00 is a treat though.
Bastiaan.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 am

any of those small light L'Ateliers look pretty good, 00, Lynx Feather, CC also have a look at Pim's SubZero or CdC Stx 1.8.

Bugly

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:44 am

Craig wrote:
any of those small light L'Ateliers look pretty good, 00, Lynx Feather, CC also have a look at Pim's SubZero or CdC Stx 1.8.

I have all of them except the 00. Of the rest the Subzero is the best UL I have flown for pitch based tricks, IMO better then the Stx 1.8. However th i.8 has a better wind range. The Lynx while capable and a blast to fly doesnt quite match those.

The CC is much floatier then any of the other kites on this list. Nice axel and fade based tricks but because of the surface area note the best in a turtle. And while you can wrap it, I wouldnt recommend it as the frame is not that stiff.

From what i have read the 00 is a great i/door kite and very pitchy but requires a lot of work to keep up.

So in summary if you want larger wing span, float and good old style capability go for the CC; if you want radical the Sub0 is hard to pass up. In reality though any of the kites listed are a ablast to fly

paul1969

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:28 pm

i've got a feather and a 00, they are both great fun to fly and both very very capable altho i'll be jiggerred if i can get a half way decent 540 out of the 00, almost vertical slots no problem.

they are both surprising tough hard for ul/sul's, i haven's broke anything on either of them in the best part of a year other than replacing the yoyo stoppers with APA fittings and the bridle on the feather.

as mentioned altho they are both stated zero-low wind they do take some leg work in zero wind but they are both very 'relaxing', 'small input' fly in very low to low wind and never fail to put a grin on my face.

if you like the atelier feel you can't really go wrong with either
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

tunemx
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:40 pm

paul1969 wrote:
if you like the atelier feel you can't really go wrong with either

well, this would be my first Atelier kite, so hope I will know sometime what you are talking about :lol:

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:56 pm

I'd go in search of some wind. $200 should get you a last minute week in the Canaries.
Jason.

tunemx
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:22 am

Well I was browsing the web for last minute Canaries offers, and accidentally bumped into a Double Zero bargain... It's here with me now. Very nice yellow /silver paneled.

I need line length advice. 25 m lineset came with it, but that's usable only for the high end of the windrange I guess. For low/null wind I need something shorter. What's your practice? Anyone still actively flying 00?

Bugly

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:35 am

outdoors 40 to 50 feet fifty pound line is what I generally fly. If its really zero wind change to indoor lines.

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:29 pm

Normally I fly the 00 on about 10 meter line, do not know the strenght of it, when the wind is a bit stronger I sometimes fly it on 20 meter lines, nice as well, the kite gets nice and fast then.
Bastiaan.

tunemx
Topic Author

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks I think I will get some Laser Pro or Shanti lines.

OK I am a beginner with nullwind/low-wind flying (like I was an expert in general kite flying haha), what are the first maneuvres/tricks I should practice?