Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Ashbridge
Topic Author

Trick Journal, random

Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:34 am

(Mostly for personal outlet purposes as a solo flyer, and in the spirit of forum contribution)

Pandemic summer, 2020

1.  Biggest win was cracking the backspin cascade.  It was a ridiculously pleasing moment when the timing clicked into place.  My morale got a nice booster shot.  (in lieu of a Covid vaccine.)  So far, best was 5 repetitions before losing control.
2.  Flic-flacs are finally starting to tighten up a bit, after years of persistent 'drunkeness.'  I'm not sure what changed with my inputs, but I'm happy about it.
3.  Knocking on the door of a consistent wap doo wap, but still fine-tuning the secondary spin.
4.  Authoritative and speedy 2-point landings remain elusive.  Just can't get the timing.  I have learned that this is not a trick to be practiced with the best kite in the bag.
5.  I'm maxed out at 3 multi-lazies.  Every time I go for 4, I end up in a tangle.
6.  Haven't been brave enough to try any cyniques yet, but progress with the BS cascade makes me hopeful.
7.  A few extremely tentative brushes with the comete, but that's still way above my pay grade.  I finally understand what's supposed to happen, though, at least visually.
8.  Right-side JLs are solid.  Left-side JLs still have a drinking problem.  
9.  And so far, my only good-looking side slides have been completely accidental.  Maybe one day.  :)

Couldn't have made it this far without the info on FA.  So cheers.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Trick Journal, random

Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:30 am

Dont you just love it when a trick comes together. I also have been working on the Comet but am always reluctant to practice the move because passers by think I'm having a seizure or something.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:44 am

Some good progress there =D>

The Cynique needs a kite that goes very nose deep in the Lazy position otherwise you just pull it straight out into a normal flying position, also in the centre of the wind window, with the Comete the sail needs constant pressure, it's not a slack line trick at all, good in medium/high wind otherwise you need to be moving backwards at a good rate!

jaydub

Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:39 pm

Never cracked the cynique or the Comete and only ever managed the odd W-d-W.  I love JLs, but still very right handed with them.  Can manage multiple rotations with my right hand, but 2 with my left hand leaves me feeling very elated.

You're making very sound progress.

Ashbridge
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:37 am

Random post of frustration:

Officially at patience's end with Toronto winds!
Prevailing wind speed has barely dropped below 30km here in a month.  Today it was actually down to the Goldilocks speed of 10-15km for the first time in ages.
Cycled to my local field filled with hope, but the wind was so jerky it was all I could do to hold a fade.  Gave up after about an hour.

When I started flying a decade ago, there at least seemed to be some consistency in these parts.  The last couple of years, I'm lucky if I get 3 or 4 ideal wind days in a whole season.  That's it.  The rest of the time it's a gusty uncooperative mess.  Climate change sucks!
All I want to do is improve my trick set, but I've realized that's never going to happen unless I relocate to a better wind region.
I feel like my learning curve could have been shortened by about 5 years, if only I'd had a single month on a good coastal beach.
Anyway.  Maybe July and August will bring some calming, but I'm sceptical.

In other news, for any football fans on here, big congrats on England's victory over Ukraine today.  But they'll have their work cut out for them against the Danes next.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:15 pm

Can't beat flying on a nice beach, which I did only yesterday, first time out with a kite for nearly a year!

My prediction re. the Euros is that we'll beat the Danes and lose to Italy in the final.