Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Ashbridge
Topic Author

Slot Machine + Taz Machine hands

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:27 am

Finally reached a point where I’ve achieved clean/consistent half-axels on both sides.

Bit sheepish, because the half-axel is such a basic trick, and I can do several other more advanced combinations at this point.  But it took ridiculously long for muscle-memory to kick in for half-axels on the left.  Anyway, success at last.  

I was experimenting with slot machines and taz machines earlier today for the first time.  I figured it was pointless to attempt either before I had the half-axel completely nailed.  It was a pretty haphazard session, but it feels good to finally be addressing these tricks.

I’ve watched a bunch of tutorials, but could someone please confirm the following for my peace of mind:

For slot machine:
When kite points left, pop the upper wing with right hand, and after flare, pull for rotation with the same hand.
When kite points right, pop upper wing with left hand, and after flare, pull for rotation with same hand.

For Taz:
When kite points left, pop upper wing with right, and after flare, pull for rotation with left.
When kite points right, pop upper wing with left, and pull for rotation with right.

Have I got that right?

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Slot Machine + Taz Machine hands

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:01 am

Yes

:)

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Also when you are learning -
a slot machine is easier if you under flare, pop it just before it goes flat (doesn't need huge amounts of slak)
a taz is easier if you over flare, let it go past flat, slightly nose up before the pop (and *lots* of slack)

Ashbridge
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Much obliged.

Naturally, the wind is much too strong for practice today.

The quest continues....

jaydub

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Both are a significant step up from the Half Axel.  I got fixated on the Taz and wasted a year's flying trying to get it.  It is not an easy trick by any means.  Good luck.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:30 am

Some kites Taz easier than others....

711jrp

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:13 am

Craig wrote:

That's 100% correct

You can take out the outer standoff and it will Make the taz much easier to learn, then you'll find you can do them with the standoff back in.
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Ashbridge
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:54 am

Craig wrote:

Most of the time I fly with a DS standard. 
Have a standard SF as well, and some other modern kites, and hopefully want to migrate in that direction more fully as I improve.
Crossover between kites isn't the smoothest process for me (yet).
As a learner, it’s really easy to get spoiled by the stability of the DS fade.  Will see how the slots and tazzes go.  
I hope it doesn’t take years.  It would be nice if I were able to submit a Virtual Freestyle entry before retirement!

RoyReed

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:22 am

I've never been able to do Tazs consistently on my DS, but I remember borrowing Piero's Cosmic TC and doing them very easily.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

garajau000

Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:39 pm

You can execute taz with std and stronger winds, go for the window corner if needed. SF likes Taz. and looks nice on this kite. I find out that is easier to execute if you have the hand that controls the upper wing upper (half a meter) than the other, both close to the body to make easier the slack. Also it helps if you get used to go ahead one step when executing it.ok this hint is only for learning, after you do not need this, only hands close to the body. For slots, on sf you need precise control on the inputs. Maybe slots are easier on ds, bigger kite. With supernovas slots are very easy. Taz more difficult on ds.
Another hint, first input for taz, should not be too strong, you can use finger sensitivity to control it. Hope it helps. Ps. If you are doing well the half axel go for the cascade.

Ashbridge
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:56 am

garajau000 wrote:
You can execute taz with std and stronger winds, go for the window corner if needed. SF likes Taz. and looks nice on this kite. I find out that is easier to execute if you have the hand that controls the upper wing upper (half a meter) than the other, both close to the body to make easier the slack. Also it helps if you get used to go ahead one step when executing it.ok this hint is only for learning, after you do not need this, only hands close to the body.  For slots, on sf you need precise control on the inputs. Maybe slots are easier on ds, bigger kite. With supernovas slots are very easy. Taz more difficult on ds.
Another hint, first input for taz, should  not be too strong, you can use finger sensitivity to control it. Hope it helps. Ps. If you are doing well the half axel  go for the cascade.

Appreciate the tips, thanks.  
Weekend wind has been abysmal for the past several weeks.  Hoping for one or two more sessions before the real cold hits, but not hugely optimistic.  You coastal fliers are lucky.

I've actually been able to do nice-looking cascades for a couple of summers now.  You'd figure that would have made left-side half-axels easy when flying across the window, but it still took a long time to click.  

Only descending cascades, mind you.  Haven't pulled off any ascending ones yet.