Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

jaydub
Topic Author

Tazzing the SuperNova

Wed May 03, 2017 8:13 pm

..or not as might be the case.

I just can't get the hang of the taz on the SuperNova.  Is there anything particularly critical about the timing as I'm struggling to get it to rotate around far enough?

No major issues with the other kites in my bag, but this one is frustrating me (although it has to be said I've not flown it in anything approaching lab grade winds yet.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Tazzing the SuperNova

Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Im just putting this reply on so you know your post is getting viewed Jon. Looks like you might be struggling to get an answer. Would some weight in the tail help to keep the momentum in the turn?
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

jaydub
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 11:45 am

Not entirely sure.  I'm struggling to get the momentum for the spin with both the 5PT and 7PT LS.  It doesn't feel it needs any more tail weight on it TBH.  I think it's more an issue of not having it properly stalled before the rotation, but can't quite work out what I'm doing wrong with the inputs.

Tony S

Tue May 09, 2017 7:49 pm

I can't remember how the supernova does this trick, but the superfly needs a really short gap between the first pop to flatten and the second to spin - don't look for it to be flat just pop before it gets there. Maybe the supernova is the same ??????

Cheers - Tony

garajau000

Wed May 10, 2017 12:12 am

Hello, 

Giving line and walk forward after the inputs is useful.
I am doing taz with two methods, two and three inputs. 

With two inputs giving line after the inputs is important, the rotation may be interrupted by the lack of line. Also before pulling, push the hand a little, after the inputs push the hand. You may need to walk backwards fast after the rotation in order to keep the flight. When learning try on the edges of the window. In the second input the movement may be long but after you need to give line.

With three inputs, the sequence of the three inputs is fast, the third just after the second. It helps the kite to rotate in case it needs, sometimes it does not do nothing because the kite is already rotating well. When moving from right to left, first input with right hand, second with left and third again with right hand (similar to comete). Not forget walk forward, when starting the inputs try to have the hands near the body in order to give line easier. 

First input should be like the one for the slot machine.

The two methods work with Deepspace, SF UL, SF Std, Skykiller. When I get a Supernova on my hands I will try ;-).

Good luck! 

jaydub
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 9:39 am

Some success with the taz on the SN last time out.  About four tazes with the 5PT spreaders that limped round and then one stunning one with the 7PT spreaders that just span on the spot.  Probably the sweetest taz I have ever done.

Proves it's down to the nut on the end of the lines and not the kite itself.  Just need to work out what I did differently that time.

garajau000

Fri May 26, 2017 2:10 pm

1st fly today no problem with taz

Enviado do meu E6853 através de Tapatalk

jaydub
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Definitely operator error on my part then!

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun May 28, 2017 5:16 pm

The tricky part of the taz is that the inputs seem to vary from kite to kite - more so than with other tricks. Thats been my experience anyways.

Once you get the timing down for most tricks you can take them from one kite to another, but I don't find that the case for the Taz.

This is the problem with flying one you own, and inland at that, it can take a very long time to crack something and/or improve much.

But I'm at the beach the week after next, so I'll get to improve a lil' bit then :-)

-Frazer

garajau000

Sun May 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Hello again, some additional info, my 1st fly was with 35m lines, and I have used both 7pt and 5pt. With low wind just try in the center of the window.

Best regards,

timorohn

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Watch any footage of Chris Goff flying and see how much ground he covers and how fast. And remember he designed the SuperFly and the Supernova.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Got some more time on mine today, I've not had a session in good winds yet - its always too little or too much.

I'm not a great Taz flier myself ... but I I got 'em by hitting the kite pretty hard ... with the 2nd input immediately
after the first .. BAM-BAM !

Something which helps sometimes is to try a trick you're struggling with in the opposite direction ... if like me
you tend to favor a given direction for a particular trick YMMV

-Frazer