Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

dobo
Topic Author

Hi new to kiting do European go for

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi its Ian here first I would like say hello so hello :lol:
Do European go for one kind of kite makers and American go for a different kite maker's me i like prism
I have a quantum and just waiting for
Prism Hypnotist as me and my son like to fly what do think is the a difference between
European and American??????
Hypnotist
Quantum
Benson Gemini, Gemini UL and Mini Gem Genuine

Flying Fish

Re: Hi new to kiting do European go for

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Ian

I think the only reason for why European flyers may tend to fly more European-made high-end kites and Americans more American-made high-end kites is the cost involved (shipping + customs charges) in getting a European kite to the US, or a US kite to Europe.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:57 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with cost, kites aren't massively expensive compared to other luxury goods. It comes down to the fact that the best fliers come from Europe (with a few exceptions), therefore they fly European kites. If the worlds best fliers came from the US and they were flying US made kites we'd be snapping them up.

Prism are now only just a bit above beach stunters tbh. they used to be high end but that's not where the money is, not knocking Prism, they went for the bucks.

Lam makes some good kites but the styling puts many Europeans off, Jon Trennepohl, Shawn Tinkham (does he still?) and a few others make nice kites, but not as cutting edge as some of the Euro brands, Alpha, Kitehouse, Benson, Diamond kites, R-Sky, L'atelier etc. etc.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi Dobo
I dont know what part of the world your at but like you I got into Prism at the start and I have no regrets from that respect. The Hypnotist was my first kite and it is a fantastic kite and will take you far. But you have to be careful when you start looking towards the top end of the Prism stable. You will be paying £160 for a Zephyr in the UK and they are mass produced in China. The only kite hand made by Prism now is the Quantum Pro and in the UK you will part with £250 for one of those. The QP is a lovely kite but it is not the best trick kite, If its trick kiting your looking at like Craig has pointed out you can get a much better kite for less bucks. Make sure you get advice from the forum before splashing out your hard earned cash
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

Ara Ararauna

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi Dobo,

I'm a relative newbie still (started flying 16 months ago).
I Started with Prism Nexus. Good for crashing and learning elementary control but not good for learning tricks.
Very nervous kite.

I don't know about the other Prism kites and from other makes I have only tested a few (meaning mine... :-( )

But after reading many posts in several forums, I have come to see that from European kites one that is reasonably priced and that EVERYONE (I have not yet heard of any bad or even lukewarm comments) says it is a GREAT kite is the Talon. Whether STD or UL.

I have a UL and it has helped me so much in learning tricks. I think it is one of the best options you may find.
Now, you will not hear that much about it from US fliers. I do think there is a shipping cost involved there after all...

BTW
Lam makes some good kites but the styling puts many Europeans off

I include myself in this group. They might be excellent flying kites, but I really cannot feel any attraction for those designs... sorry Lam lovers! It's only a matter of personal taste...
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)

Zippy8

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Ian,

for the past few years European, or more especially French and German, manufacturers have defined the cutting edge of our activity. You could name plenty of small "boutique" makers here putting out proper kites. The amount of new stuff coming from North America that interests the sort of enthusiast that frequents FA is dwindling.

We're mostly so far out of love with the Chinese sweat shop mediocrity that passes for Prism this past decade that it might be hard to believe that they were once cutting edge too.

Ara Ararauna wrote:
They might be excellent flying kites, but I really cannot feel any attraction for those designs... sorry Lam lovers!

BURN THE HERETIC !!!!

Mike.

dobo
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks to you all for your comments when I grow out of the Prism Hypnotist I know we're i will be coming for advice just like to say I bought a Prism Hypnotist and costs me with shipping from u.s about £85 this is second hand but it's has only been used twice and the guy I bought it off was kind enough to let me have three sets of lines and he has only good comments about him on the forum so l think it's good buy as I am living in Norway I would have to pay for shipping anyway how much is a new one In England? ??? Have I done well ??? Hope so no matter what l am out with my boy flying and you can't put a price on that !!! Hope to come to England and meet you all at one of the kite festival's to show all the tricks I have masted lol
Hypnotist
Quantum

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 am

Hi Dobo
Did you get the Prism DVD with it? In the UK the Hypno retails for about £115 but comes with the DVD which to buy seperately cost about £20. It is a great starter kite and will take alot of knocks. It is also a very capable kite in the right winds. Its one of the Prisms that I have that I wouldnt part with. You have chosen well in IMHO. Youve given me an excuse to post some pics of mine now Haha.

(Message to FA members...Please dont post these pics in the Dodgy applique Kite section. lol..Just remember, what goes around comes around :wink: )

Steve batch1 227 by hawkerhunter, on Flickr

061 by hawkerhunter, on Flickr

Hypnotist in Filey by hawkerhunter, on Flickr

Enjoy your kite.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

dobo
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:43 am

Yeah it comes with the dvd but I have the dvd from a friend from before your kite look great and am glad to hear you liked the kite so much :badgrin: away from home working but soon I come home I will be out to try it :mrgreen: I might put up some pics myself
Hypnotist
Quantum

Ara Ararauna

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Hawkerhunter wrote:
Hi Dobo
(Message to FA members...Please dont post these pics in the Dodgy applique Kite section. lol..Just remember, what goes around comes around :wink: )

I would never say a Hypno is dodgy! I love its design. Especially the Citrus.
I was going to buy one for me since I like it so much, but I already had higher end kites and everybody told me not to... :cry:
So one day, when I can light my fireplace with 500EUro bills I will buy one for me.... :mrgreen: a citrus one, of course
Cheers and good flying yours in the beautiful landcapes of Norge (Aandalsnes, Geiranger, Trondheim, or any other :biggrin: )
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)