Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

squibs
Topic Author

HQ Shadow

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi .. I have returned to flying after many years lay-off..I have just purchased a Shadow .. a kite I hope to 'grow into'
However on assembly I was confused about the bridle.. the instruction book shows a 'slack' line but does not say what it is for.. ???? also the centre spar has a hole at the base is this to run a line from wing tip to wing tip...thanks.

SteveC

Re: HQ Shadow

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi Squibs,

The extra line is called a keeper line and is there to stop the main bridle getting caught around the tail of the kite when doing tricks.

If you are talking about the plastic fitting on the end of the spine, the hole is just how it is made, it doesn't need a catch line from wingtip to wingtip. You want to check if you have any weights with the kite. There could be a short length of wire inside the spine, a barrel shaped weight of about 12 grams that fits on the end of the spine instead of the plastic bit - you may have one, both, or none of these - it seems to vary from kite to kite! I used the wire inside the spine - about 4grams- most of the time. The 12 gram weight is for doing roll up tricks and needs a bit more wind.

The Shadow is a really nice low wind kite and does really nice axels, 360's, 540', fades,. You can also get flic flacks , JL's and roll ups but these need practise and are not so easy. It responds well to a light touch and best in winds of 2-6 mph, after that you will probably be better using a standard kite.

Some people find it a bit twitchy - oversteer - if you find that a problem there are things you can do - give me a shout.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

squibs
Topic Author

Re: HQ Shadow

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi SteveC...Many Thanks..Looking forward to a low wind day...