Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Marc
Topic Author

10 Top tips for perfecting your entry to pitch based tricks

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:58 pm

I'd be interested to know everyones approach to pitching effectively (pancake / turtle etc.) and in particular any tips on generating the extra slack needed as even on low-wind days I find the kite not reaching position or bouncing straight back out to often - no matter how fast I move my feet or how snappy I throw my arms forwards. There has to be a way of pulling these moves off elegantly without me impersonating a crazed olympic sprinter repeating the 'false start' maneuver. #-o

Do you snap stall before initiating the pitch or only try for pitch based moves near the edge of the wind window or after exiting from another trick? Am I supposed to spill the wind with a little twitch before giving slack or maybe a subtle double pop?? What's possible? What works for you? What is your hit-rate? 9 times out of 10?

If you can, break it down in to entry, position, set-up and inputs that'd be interesting:

:arrow: Entry (End of a long straight pass or immediately after a quick turn etc.)
:arrow: Position (Centre, mid-centre, edge of wind window)
:arrow: Set-up (Snap stall, pop or twitch prior to pitching etc.)
:arrow: Input (Pop, Pull or other method)

I know some kites will pitch better than others and that sticking weights on will help but I'm more interested in nailing a general technique that will give solid results across the board.
“Imagination is the highest kite one can fly” ~ Lauren Bacall

SteveC

Re: 10 Top tips for perfecting your entry to pitch based tri

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 am

If you're flying in decent tricking winds - 5-12mph - the Turtle is pretty straightforward. I would suggest you try it like this,

From a horizontal pass or vertical take off go about half to two thirds of the way up the window and a little off centre.

Get the kite to do a nice Snap Stall to lose some of the pressure in the sail, give slack with both hands and take one or two steps forward. That should be enough to get the kite on it's back. Depending on the wind you may need to move forward/backwards slightly to stop it over rotating nose down or popping back up. Most kites will settle into a turtle fairly easily, in fact some settle so deep into the turtle it can be hard to get them out again. If you are still having problems you could try a small pull between the snapstall and giving slack to tip the nose slightly forward and start the kite rocking a little. That said, some kites really don't like going on their backs , I had an HQ Atomic which was hard as hell to turtle and would come straight back up again no matter what you did.

Once you have the technique you should be able to hit 90%+ in good winds, less so in stronger winds when you need to run forward more quickly.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Marc
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 am

Yep, off the back of a snap stall or other stall based trick I wouldn't expect the kite to give much resistance to these inputs. Having watched other pilots fly though it appeared as though I 'should' be able to pull this off at any point in flight and not just proceeding a deliberate snap stall. But if everyone is having to spill the wind before pitching then that's a relief really as that's also what I'm having to do. :-D

It seems there are other times when it could be possible without a snap stall:

- Just as the kites reaches the zenith
- Following a tight spin / sharp change of direction (spin stall)
- Immediately after launch
- Prior to landing (proximity effect?)
- Halfway through an axel
- After one full horizontal pass of the window

I guess these are all just times when the kite naturally stalling anyway so it comes back to the same thing. The kite needs to be stalled prior to pitching.

Sub

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:24 pm

This is how I do a Turtle.

Start learning this with a good wind, because as the wind drops you'll need to be more proactive about your inputs. So build your technique and confidence from a known starting point.

Fly up the window at a diagonal towards the 10 or 2 o clock positions, and suddenly give the outside line slack. Instantly your kite will want to go turtle. But take notice of the tension on the inner line, this is going to be your control.

There's a tendency to overcook it and the kite will spin instead of rest. So make the adjustments, practise loads to get the result.

This is a common technique and you can loosely use the same muscle memory whatever the kite is doing at the time. From a 2 point landing to a Snap Lazy.

So really do spend a lot of time laying down the subconscious for this in as many wind conditions as possible.

Happy flying

Marc
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 am

Fly up the window at a diagonal towards the 10 or 2 o clock positions, and suddenly give the outside line slack. Instantly your kite will want to go turtle.

Nice tip, new to me. Sounds similar to a Rixel : http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Rixel

I'm guessing the reverse might work for a flare too?

Also I've been looking at these...

Snap Lazy / Inverse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vsxa3V9Hu8

Snap Lazy / Inverse Studies (DPmama74)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexGqZvY-Jg

...although I can't find an isolated example of a 'snap turtle' to see what is going on.

Is this an example at 2.48s in this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdDna6MyTk

SteveC

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:17 am

Try this one - Snap Lazy- Snap Turtle- Rolling Susan - all basically the same thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6UrwpjEr44
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:34 pm

As a general rule power the kite up just before you initiate any pitch trick and make the transition from driving to slack fast and snappy. Often it helps to subtly pop, and I mean really snappy, both lines while the kite is still driving just before you slack.

This can help with all sorts of variations from just entering turtles and pancakes through to rolling up etc.

Also to get lots of slack quickly keep one foot stationary, to power up step back with the other foot then as you slack step forward - you get an arm swing + a strides worth in one go. This helps with variations from a pancake such as 180s, 540s etc.

tpatters

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:32 am

I like the half-axel to fade.

It's easy to go from a fade to many other pitch tricks and its a nice clean fast entry into a fade. Once you get it down, it is also extremely reliable under a wide range of conditions.

Good luck.

Tom

ObijuanKenobe

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 pm

tpatters wrote:
I like the half-axel to fade.

It's easy to go from a fade to many other pitch tricks and its a nice clean fast entry into a fade. Once you get it down, it is also extremely reliable under a wide range of conditions.

Good luck.

Tom

I was given this advice long ago and ignored it. I was a fool. Now it is the only way I get to the fade.

Do not be a fool. Listen to the Tom.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Infinitive

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Are you trying to give inputs with your hands in front of your body? If so, get out of this habit. Your hands should be by your hips, if not half a foot or more behind your hips before initiating any input, for pretty much any trick.

Yes do a "little twitch" (and am arm's length of slack - easily given when your hands are behind your back), ramping up to a full pop in strong wind. The input will give best results if the kite is already under pressure and flying, you increase the pressure (quickly but smoothly), then abruptly stop all pressure (by giving slack). Throwing your hands forward might get you there, but it is ungraceful, you need more slack, and you will be missing a valuable lesson in control - the little twitches are how you learn to stop and pitch the kite, and eventually you'll learn to do them asymmetrically so you can get into turtle from horizontal or diving flight.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

ObijuanKenobe

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Infinitive wrote:
Are you trying to give inputs with your hands in front of your body? If so, get out of this habit. Your hands should be by your hips, if not half a foot or more behind your hips before initiating any input, for pretty much any trick.

Yes do a "little twitch" (and am arm's length of slack - easily given when your hands are behind your back), ramping up to a full pop in strong wind. The input will give best results if the kite is already under pressure and flying, you increase the pressure (quickly but smoothly), then abruptly stop all pressure (by giving slack). Throwing your hands forward might get you there, but it is ungraceful, you need more slack, and you will be missing a valuable lesson in control - the little twitches are how you learn to stop and pitch the kite, and eventually you'll learn to do them asymmetrically so you can get into turtle from horizontal or diving flight.

He's back!

Still loving your XTs!

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Infinitive

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Never really went away. There just wasn't much to say.

I kind of miss my XTs, but then I remember how much the beast pulled and I think "nah, I'll have a CTC thanks". Still, the most beautiful kite ever made, languid.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------